Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1407
  1. #1381
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,188
    Lol... with all the **** going on, I forgot that Mookie was on the team. When I read his name in regards to LA, my eyes popped out of their socket.

  2. #1382
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    heart of the valley
    Posts
    2,134
    I think they should cancel the season or just play some sort of stupid tournament style. Sixty games is a joke. It's not like the winner of the world series is gonna really get credit like it was a real world series. Winning the world series this year is the equivalent to beating your little sister in go fish, it means absolutely nothing. Why waste everybody's time. Might as well play a big over the line tournament. It'll mean just as much anyway. Just get ready for baseball in 2022 if we're lucky, this corona virus is going nowhere. This years mini tournament is going to be an absolute fiasco. Oh yeah, and we have the worst commissioner baseball has ever seen, how friggin' promising.

  3. #1383
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Sonoma Beach
    Posts
    9,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmu15 View Post
    I think they should cancel the season or just play some sort of stupid tournament style. Sixty games is a joke. It's not like the winner of the world series is gonna really get credit like it was a real world series. Winning the world series this year is the equivalent to beating your little sister in go fish, it means absolutely nothing. Why waste everybody's time. Might as well play a big over the line tournament. It'll mean just as much anyway. Just get ready for baseball in 2022 if we're lucky, this corona virus is going nowhere. This years mini tournament is going to be an absolute fiasco. Oh yeah, and we have the worst commissioner baseball has ever seen, how friggin' promising.
    True but ask the Astros if it was worth it by cheating. They still have the rings. No doubt about the incompetency of the MLB Commiss.

    "I set my DVR for the Biggest Loser, but it keeps recording Clippers games."

  4. #1384
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,188
    I don't see the season starting when this virus is exploding again. Where is the season being played? AZ and FL are twp of the states where it's taking off again.

  5. #1385
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    14,346
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    I don't see the season starting when this virus is exploding again. Where is the season being played? AZ and FL are twp of the states where it's taking off again.
    So is Texas. So the three-division format in those three states seems like a lost cause.

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

  6. #1386
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a crib
    Posts
    35,517
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    I don't see the season starting when this virus is exploding again. Where is the season being played? AZ and FL are twp of the states where it's taking off again.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    So is Texas. So the three-division format in those three states seems like a lost cause.
    Agreed.. Iím actually starting to think sports wonít happen for the rest of 2020. I hope Iím wrong though

    Your baby can't do this

  7. #1387
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmu15 View Post
    I think they should cancel the season or just play some sort of stupid tournament style. Sixty games is a joke. It's not like the winner of the world series is gonna really get credit like it was a real world series. Winning the world series this year is the equivalent to beating your little sister in go fish, it means absolutely nothing. Why waste everybody's time. Might as well play a big over the line tournament. It'll mean just as much anyway. Just get ready for baseball in 2022 if we're lucky, this corona virus is going nowhere. This years mini tournament is going to be an absolute fiasco. Oh yeah, and we have the worst commissioner baseball has ever seen, how friggin' promising.
    Although I have been looking forward to this season with Mookie Betts in the Blue and had hoped back in April that there would be a way to manage the pandemic, I am of the belief that it is not possible. With the lack of national protocols and a clear plan to contain the proliferation of the virus, the absence of collective mourning of the lives lost already, not to mention growing economic divide with 45+ million Americans out of work, I think it perpetuates the nincompoopery belief that sports is essential business. It is not.

    As inconvenient as it may be for the few not affected, our attention should be singular and focused on getting everyone through this hellish pandemic this summer, fall and even winter. Sports has a time and a place, but now is not the time.

    Who would want to brag about a Dodger championship in a pandemic shortened season anyways? Not me. Give it to the Montreal Expo fans as a ceremonial gesture of goodwill and let's do the hard work needed to have baseball back as it is meant to be...next year.

    Go Dodgers!

  8. #1388
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a crib
    Posts
    35,517
    Quote Originally Posted by mOrphosis View Post
    Although I have been looking forward to this season with Mookie Betts in the Blue and had hoped back in April that there would be a way to manage the pandemic, I am of the belief that it is not possible. With the lack of national protocols and a clear plan to contain the proliferation of the virus, the absence of collective mourning of the lives lost already, not to mention growing economic divide with 45+ million Americans out of work, I think it perpetuates the nincompoopery belief that sports is essential business. It is not.

    As inconvenient as it may be for the few not affected, our attention should be singular and focused on getting everyone through this hellish pandemic this summer, fall and even winter. Sports has a time and a place, but now is not the time.

    Who would want to brag about a Dodger championship in a pandemic shortened season anyways? Not me. Give it to the Montreal Expo fans as a ceremonial gesture of goodwill and let's do the hard work needed to have baseball back as it is meant to be...next year.

    Go Dodgers!
    Agreed

    Your baby can't do this

  9. #1389
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,675
    In light of todayís news, Iím going to repost this here, because itís this FOís dealings, tactics, and strategies that made this signing possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Iím going to chime in here because... well, thatís what I do.

    I think Iíve been very even keeled on the Friedman regime, praise where warranted, but equally critical as well, especially after letting all of this yearís marquee FAís get away.

    Iím now officially a Friedman supporter - and no, itís not because of ďone good deal in five yearsĒ. Itís because the Betts deal, and the potentially subsequent re-signing of Mookie, is the culmination of five years worth of making smart financial choices with short term risks and consequences.

    Letís categorize and list the deals AF has made...

    THE BAD DEALS

    Signed Scott Kazmir 3/48M (short term)

    Signed Brandon McCarthy 4/48M (low AAV)

    Traded Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields (Caveat: hindsight is 20/20 and we never saw Alvarez play in the states, only barely had his rights).

    Signing Alex Guerrero (turned this into a positive by swapping for Wood)

    BAD DEALS ANALYSIS:
    Notice a similarity in the ďbad FA dealsĒ? In hindsight, Scott Kazmir and Brandon McCarthy were bad contracts because we got almost nothing out of them. However, they were good risks to take considering they were short contracts and/or carried low AAVs comparative to the rest of the free agent market.

    Even though we got minimal return on investment for Kaz and BMac, consider that the marquee FAs that season were Scherzer (34.9 bWAR, 7yr/$30M AAV)James Shields (2.7 bWAR, 4yr/$19M AAV), and Jon Lester (13.7 bWAR, 6yr/$26M AAV). Since Friedman came to office, Scherzer was just about the only top tier FA we didnít get that doesnít look like a bad contract. Weíll talk more about that below.


    THE GOOD DEALS
    Signing Max Muncy to a minor league contract (and re-signing him)

    Acquiring Chris Taylor for Zach Lee

    Trading Matt Kemp for Grandal

    Trading McCarthy, Kaz, and Gonzo for Matt Kemp

    Trading Puig, Wood, and Kemp for Josiah Gray and Jeter Downs

    Acquiring Betts and Price for ĎDugo, Jeter Downs, and Conner Wong

    Trading Alex Guerrero and a ton of money to get Alex Wood (simplified)

    Acquiring Yu Darvish for Willie Calhoun

    Acquiring Manny Machado for Dean Kremer, Zach Pop, Rylan Bannon and Breyvic Valera

    Signing Kenta Maeda to arguably the team-friendliest contract in baseball

    Trading Kenta Maeda (and a total of $10M) for Graterol, Luke Raley and the 67th pick.

    Trading Dee Gordon, Dan Haren, and Miguel Rojas, for Kikť Hernandez, Austin Barnes, Chris Hatcher, and Andrew Heaney


    GOOD DEALS TAKEAWAY: Notice a trend? A couple of names pop up here a few times; Maeda, Kemp, Jeter Downs. This FO locks on to its core players, whether prospects or big leaguers, and they have been great at playing with the margins to make improvements to the 25 and 40-man rosters, and for the future of the club.


    FA CHOICES/PERFORMANCE YEAR BY YEAR
    Below is a list of the top billed FAs year over year since Friedman took over, with contract length, AAV, and the cost per point of WAR produced over the life of the contract to date in parentheses

    2014 Top FAs
    Scherzer - Nationals, 7/30M (4.29M per WAR)
    Jon Lester - Cubs, 6/26M (10.15M per win)
    James Shields - Pads, 4/19M (35.2M per win)
    Hanley Ramirez - Boston, 4/22 (44M)
    Pablo Sandoval - Boston, 5/18 (-0.9 WAR!!!)

    2015
    David Price - Boston, 7yr/31 (11.5M)
    Jason Heyward - Chicago, 7/27 (15.2M)
    Zach Greinke - Arizona, 6/33M (7.5M)
    Justin Upton - Tigers, 6/22 (8.5M)
    Chris Davis - Orioles, 7/23 (-0.5 WAR!!!)
    Jordan Zimmerman - Tigers, 5/22 (110M!!!)
    Johnny Cueto - Giants, 6/22 (10M)
    Ian Desmond - Rangers, 5/14 (-0.7!!! WAR)
    Jeff Samardzija - Giants, 5/18 (9.2M)

    2016
    Cespedes - Mets, 4/27.5 (13.2M)
    Edwin Encarnacion (DH) - Cle, 3/20M (8.8M)
    Aroldis Chapman - NYY, 5/17.2 (12.3M)
    Justin Turner - LAD, 4/18 (3.88M)
    Kenley Jansen - LAD, 5/16 (12M)

    2017
    Darvish - Cubs 6/21 (13.1M)
    JD Martinez (DH) - BoSox 5/22 (4.5M)
    Eric Hosmer - Padres 8/18 (32.7M)
    Jake Arrieta - Phillies 3/25 (13.2M)

    2018
    Machado - Pads 10/30 (9.6M)
    Harper - Phillies 13/33 (7.85M)

    FA ANALYSIS:
    As you can see, of the major contracts handed out since AF took office, the best deal by a long shot was Justin Turner, who costs us about 3.88M per 1.0 WAR. Max Scherzer comes in 2nd at 4.29M. JD Martinez has proven to be a good investment as well at 4.5M per WAR, but heís a DH. If he were in the NL his WAR would take a hit by having to play defense every game; this was a good investment for an AL team.

    In those 5 years of free agency, no other player came in at less 7.5M per 1.0 win above replacement.

    The fourth best investment, believe it or not, has been Zack Greinke at 7.5M, followed by Bryce Harper at 7.85M per win last year. That makes Max Scherzer just about the only free agent ďmissĒ by this front office.

    What this list reveals is that Free Agency is incredibly volatile. In fact, of the 25 players on that list, only 9 produced a rate better than $10M per 1 point of WAR.

    Hell, David Price is a prime example. He has cost Boston 11.5M per win year to date, but when we factor in the $48M theyíre reportedly paying him to pitch for us on the remainder of his contract, that number jumps to 16.53M per win he produced playing for them. If he produces similarly for the Dodgers as he did for Boston, he will cost us $7.7M per win - which would be the 5th best investment on the list above. Even though thatís already a substantially better investment for the Dodgers than it was for Boston, I actually expect him to be healthier and improve on his numbers.

    BUT LET US NOT FORGET (FA)...
    This list only includes the Big Name Free Agents who were expected to command top dollar. What it doesnít include is Max Muncy who was signed as a free agent, put in a year of work on the farm, and has since produced 9.9 WAR over 2 seasons at league minimum salary. This has cost us $126,374 per WAR which makes him, by far, the best free agent find in all of baseball during Friedmanís LAD tenure. Maybe even one of the best free agent investments in baseball history.

    So, for all the complaints about Friedmanís lack of involvement on the top players in the free agent market, he actually has done quite well there in making good investments and staying away from the absolute worst ones.

    IN SUMMARY
    Being savvy with the 25 and 40 man rosters, staying fiscally responsible, investing in scouting and player development, and improving around the margins have been key strengths for Friedman. All of these things have allowed the Dodgers to compete win the division each year, with back to back WS appearances, while staying under the LT and still boasting a top-tier MiLB system,

    At this point, Iím not convinced that thereís a better Front Office in baseball.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.Ē

    - Carl Sagan


  10. #1390
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,873
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    In light of todayís news, Iím going to repost this here, because itís this FOís dealings, tactics, and strategies that made this signing possible.
    Yep, spot on! Also important to keep in mind all the deals they didnt make in trading away top prospects that so many posters on here have complained about because they didnt make those deals. When we factor in how amazing our farm system is, it's amazing to me how much some fans on here still manage to complain about this front office.

  11. #1391
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,873
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Agreed
    Nah, I'll be happy to take the title this year and then again the next. Sure, a title this year won't mean as much as one that occurs in a full regular season, but it would still mean quite a lot.

  12. #1392
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,188
    I can still easily complain about Andy, unless that idiot Roberts is no longer manager? Way to go Andy, it only took 5 years for him to stop shopping in the dumpster and singing trash with no talent.

  13. #1393
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,873
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    I can still easily complain about Andy, unless that idiot Roberts is no longer manager? Way to go Andy, it only took 5 years for him to stop shopping in the dumpster and singing trash with no talent.
    Yeah, and managed to keep the best prospects in the league who are now the core of the team. Would've won a World Series, possibly two if the opposition wasnt cheating. I'd say that's not just a great job, it's historically great.

  14. #1394
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Yeah, and managed to keep the best prospects in the league who are now the core of the team. Would've won a World Series, possibly two if the opposition wasnt cheating. I'd say that's not just a great job, it's historically great.
    You forgot to mention they still beat the Astros if Dave was competent and knew what he was doing. He still has no idea how to manage a pen.
    Last edited by DigglinDickers; 07-23-2020 at 10:06 PM.

  15. #1395
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,675
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    You forgot to mention they still beat the Astros if Dave was competent and knew what he was doing. He still has no idea how to manage a pen.
    And how would you feel about it had Morrow, who was still throwing triple digits, not been banged around for 4 runs without recording an out?

    Did we lose because DR mismanaged the pen, or did we lose because we had to go to the pen early because the Astros knew what was coming?... AND, then that the pen arms struggled after coming in because the Astros still knew what was coming?

    I mean, did we lose because the Astros cheated, or because Dave Roberts sucks? Because if the Astros cheating had anything to do with them winning the World Series, then youíre trash talking a manager that was robbed of a WS title.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 07-26-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •