Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who wins the AL Pennant?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • New York Yankees

2 33.33%
  • Houston Astros

4 66.67%
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
    Ha ha ha!

Yea its just hard to find good SP, especially that can handle NY. They got Sonny Gray on a great deal, he profiled as a solid #2. He came to the Yankees and was one of the worst SP in baseball. Send him to the Reds and he's an all-star stud again.

I didn't like Corbin for NY and for the money he got paid. They instead got a great deal on Paxton. I don't think they'll let themselves get outbid for Cole, whether its enough for him to sign here or not. Yankees have put more focus on developing their own starters or acquiring them through trades which they've had some success with.

Look at the Astros, Verlander (trade) - he was looking done and making a lot of money. Astros worked magic with him Greinke (trade) we all know hes one of those starters that wasn't an option for NY. Cole (trade) Pirates chose the Astros instead of the Yankees for a trade. They could've had Clint Frazier instead they chose garbage that Houston offered. Yankees still could've got the deal done but screwed up.
    Like basically again what I'm trying to say is that Cole even if he leaves, he wouldn't go to New York most likely he would either go to any other teams in the AL or he would switch leagues to go to the NL. However, he would most likely stay in Houston and why shouldn't he especially if he wins a title in Houston if they beat the Nats

We have very quality starters. Paxton, Tanaka, Severino, German. Not many teams can match that. I'm not gonna pencil in Cole just yet.

And I guess its the fans of teams like the Mets that admire the Astros organization so much. We know the Mets organization is bottom of the barrel.

Yankees are top of the food chain so we don't admire others. Yankees haven't had a losing season since '92

See you all next year when Yankees are back in it
    I admire the Astros. They're easily the best organization top to bottom right now. They're young, have an insane amount of talent, great FO and should be good for quite a while.

Stop being a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    I mean ignoring reality isn't going to win the yankees the 2019 world series, or any going forward.

Sale
    Price
    Eovaldi
    E-Rod

They need a number 5 SP, bullpen help is obvious. They are looking to cut 208 million. For 2020 they are looking at 152 million before arb. So 25 million for Betts, 10 million for JBJ, 6 Million E-Rod, 7 million for rest. That is 48 million. You are at 200 million there.

That assume Pedroia doesn't retire 13.8 MM and JD doesn't opt out 22 MM. If Pedroia does retire and JD opts out. They essentially have around 40 million to use to still stay under the luxury tax (which is all the owner wants).

Sox aren't going anywhere, neither are the Astros or the Rays
    Sale
    Price
    Eovaldi
    E-Rod

Price and Eovaldi? Neither one is anything special, questionable if either one of them are even good. Sale has a lot of innings on his arm and honestly with his body and his delivery I'm surprised he's only beginning to have arm problems. 2018 he pitched 158 innings. 2019 he threw 147 innings. Not the guy I'd count on in 2020. E-Rod is questionable. It took him a while to get going and was great in the 2nd half. We'll see. But to act like those are 4 reliable arms in your rotation is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Like basically again what I'm trying to say is that Cole even if he leaves, he wouldn't go to New York most likely he would either go to any other teams in the AL or he would switch leagues to go to the NL. However, he would most likely stay in Houston and why shouldn't he especially if he wins a title in Houston if they beat the Nats
    Why would he be against joining the Yankees? Your explanation is illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I admire the Astros. They're easily the best organization top to bottom right now. They're young, have an insane amount of talent, great FO and should be good for quite a while.

Stop being a fool.
    You're the type of guy to think the best seat in Yankees stadium is the box seats. That's if you're even from New York area.

haha yup basically. Thinking the Astros are going anywhere or the Sox are somewhat laughable. Yeah you can't win the WS every year, but each team has a pretty high floor. **** the sox sucked *** compared to last season and had a winning record, its the nature of the game
    What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post

Stop being a fool.
    Truth.

Why would he be against joining the Yankees? Your explanation is illogical.

You're the type of guy to think the best seat in Yankees stadium is the box seats. That's if you're even from New York area.
    I'm from CT and now live in NC. I must be a fake fan since I'm not from NY. Shame on me.

Sale
    Price
    Eovaldi
    E-Rod

Price and Eovaldi? Neither one is anything special, questionable if either one of them are even good. Sale has a lot of innings on his arm and honestly with his body and his delivery I'm surprised he's only beginning to have arm problems. 2018 he pitched 158 innings. 2019 he threw 147 innings. Not the guy I'd count on in 2020. E-Rod is questionable. It took him a while to get going and was great in the 2nd half. We'll see. But to act like those are 4 reliable arms in your rotation is ridiculous.
    Yeah ridiculous that the 4 of them were also on a 108 win WS team 1 year ago, can't believe the audacity of the prediction of them having a bounce back year.

Either way the Astros are in a better position than the Yankees and the Redsox at the moment, you talking nonsense isn't going to change that for you
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

How many teams have won a WS this decade? I don't expect a World Series, sorry. I know my team always has a shot at it though. They're not going to tank for a decade and not put money into their team, thats what lousy organizations do who are not good for baseball. Soon as that window closes on them you'll see them go back to the same old Astros. No one will be talking about how admirable they are then.
    I can't believe anyone has the audacity to go up to Yankee fans and **** talk about not winning a ring recently...this is like Warrior fans **** talking the Lakers...yeah you guys had a cute run, now do that EVERY DECADE FOR SIX DECADES!

It definitely wasn't the "worst case scenario" for the Sox rotation. They started the year with Eovaldi as their #2 starter. With very little pitching depth and an awful bullpen. What'd you expect?

Going forward they're looking to cut payroll.

Rays are legit but its just them and the Yankees in the AL East for now.
    Jays are coming up quick son!

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Because they won't offer him the most money.

Yeah ridiculous that the 4 of them were also on a 108 win WS team 1 year ago, can't believe the audacity of the prediction of them having a bounce back year.

Either way the Astros are in a better position than the Yankees and the Redsox at the moment, you talking nonsense isn't going to change that for you
    Even with bounce backs...the pen is still a mess and the minor league system is worse...and the team is looking to cut money.

mightyboss I won't waste time with someone who has such a severe lack of baseball knowledge.
    Learn to quote, kid. If you want to have a debate, I'm not going to go searching for your poorly-conceived, poorly-constructed takes in this thread. Also, is that how you debate sports? You just spew a bunch of nonsense about someone else's "lack of baseball knowledge" and go "lol" a lot? It's pathetic. You've been on PSD since 2010, so you've got to at least be in your mid-20s. You're an adult. Act like it.

Miley ended the year with a 4 ERA. "I don't know how it happened" LOL!!!
    Yes, and yet, despite completely imploding in September, his ERA was still lower than every Yankees starter other than Paxton. So, yeah, I'd say he had a pretty good season.

Tanaka in the ALCS 2 GS 11 IP 2.45 ERA
    Greinke 2 GS 10 1/3 IP 3.48 ERA

Yea he really outdueled him when he pitched 4 1/3 IP
    Tanaka pitched better in Game 1, and the Yankees won. Greinke pitched better in Game 2, and the Astros won. I'm uninterested in ERA in such small sample sizes. Greinke's job was to go out, out-pitch Tanaka and eat up enough innings so that the bats and bullpen could take the win. He did his job.

"When have the Astros ever committed big money long-term for a free agent?"

You respond with an example of them handing out team friendly extensions to players already under contract. You really understand so little. Stick with basketball.
    Team-friendly or not, all of those contracts were costly and will add up. Between Bregman, Verlander and Bregman, they signed deals combining for $330 million. And Verlander's per-year cost ($33 million) isn't too far removed from what Cole will likely make per year. On top of that, the Astros were willing to take on the majority of Greinke's salary the next two years. So, yeah, I think they're willing to pay for a winner. In fact, by the end of the season, the Astros had the higher payroll ($199.5 million) than the Yankees ($194.9 million).

You act like the Yankees are far more likely to land Cole than Houston, but if we look at the two teams' track records the last few years, who has been willing to add star pitchers? The Astros. They traded for Verlander, Cole and Grienke and then extended Verlander. What have the Yankees done? They had a chance to add a pitcher like Greinke, Bumgarner, Syndegaard, Bauer, Boyd, etc. at the deadline and couldn't pull the trigger.

Again, if I were a betting man and I had to predict Cole staying to Houston or going somewhere else, I'd take the field. But I absolutely think his chances of staying in Houston are better than him going to the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Even with bounce backs...the pen is still a mess and the minor league system is worse...and the team is looking to cut money.
    Bullpens are always volatile (See Kimbrel and Kelly) from year to year, and relatively easy to fix. They are looking to get under the luxury tax, that is in't, some fairly easy avenues to get there. Minor league system isn't great, but a moot point for the on field production next year at the MLB level.
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Oof

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

marychristine got banned?? Oh no.

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast