Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kobe

19 79.17%
  • Harden

5 20.83%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Who is better? Kobe or Harden?

Since someone responded to me with an interesting answer I wanted to see what everyone thought on the matter.

The question is simple: who is better? Kobe or Harden?

Kobe, with a doubt. Harden has impressive efficiency stats, but part of that is due to the era he plays in (analytics), versus what Kobe played in. Furthermore, come playoffs, Kobe excels, Harden folds.

This is pretty easily Kobe.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I think the answer kind of depends on how you view the question.

If you view the question as "Who is the greater all-time player?" then Kobe is 100% the correct answer. His prime was insanely long, he had so many years of strong postseason performances, and his five rings certainly don't hurt. If Harden retires right now, Kobe is ahead of him in any all-time conversation, and it's not close.

If you view the question as "Who was the more dominant player at his peak?" then I think the answer has a little more of a gray area. The "Kobe vs. Wade" debate is very similar in that regard. Peak Wade was simply better than peak Kobe, but Kobe's prime was longer and generally stronger overall. The same argument can be made for Harden. In fact, I'd argue that, statistically, peak Harden is more statistically dominant than peak Wade OR peak Kobe.

All that being said, as much as I love Harden, he just doesn't have a leg to stand on in this argument right now because of his postseason resume. If the guy could just get over the hump and play in 1-2 Finals series and maybe add a ring, I think the debate would get way more interesting. But his poor playoff performance is a killer in these conversations, and a lot of that negativity is warranted.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 10-10-2019 at 04:26 PM.

I just had a disgusting, terrifying thought that's honestly eerily accurate: "James Harden is the Karl Malone of shooting guards." If Harden doesn't turn around the narrative of his postseason failures, that's probably who he becomes in future all-time conversations after he retires.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post

If you view the question as "Who is the greater all-time player?" then Kobe is 100% the correct answer. His prime was insanely long, he had so many years of strong postseason performances, and his three rings certainly don't hurt. If Harden retires right now, Kobe is ahead of him in any all-time conversation, and it's not close.

If you view the question as "Who was the more dominant player at his peak?" then I think the answer has a little more of a gray area. The "Kobe vs. Wade" debate is very similar in that regard. Peak Wade was simply better than peak Kobe, but Kobe's prime was longer and generally stronger overall. The same argument can be made for Harden. In fact, I'd argue that, statistically, peak Harden is more statistically dominant than peak Wade OR peak Kobe.

All that being said, as much as I love Harden, he just doesn't have a leg to stand on in this argument right now because of his postseason resume. If the guy could just get over the hump and play in 1-2 Finals series and maybe add a ring, I think the debate would get way more interesting. But his poor playoff performance is a killer in these conversations, and a lot of that negativity is warranted.
    The intent of the question is who is better, not who is greater. Who do you think the better player is, or in a vacuum, who would you rather want to draft for your team.

I will say Harden is moving up the SG rankings in that he is now firmly in the Top 5 along with MJ, Kobe, Wade, and West. AI and Drexler no longer have a legitimate claim as being better IMO.

But another poster said Harden was better in another thread and I wanted to see how many agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The intent of the question is who is better, not who is greater. Who do you think the better player is, or in a vacuum, who would you rather want to draft for your team.

I will say Harden is moving up the SG rankings in that he is now firmly in the Top 5 along with MJ, Kobe, Wade, and West. AI and Drexler no longer have a legitimate claim as being better IMO.

But another poster said Harden was better in another thread and I wanted to see how many agreed.
    with both players at their peak? Harden. Harden's past two seasons individually have been better than any of Kobe's best individual seasons.

I stand by my statement. Iíd rather build around Harden and Shaq than Kobe and Shaq. Itís close but Iíd take Harden. Better playmaker and more willing playmaker than Kobe.
    Last edited by IKnowHoops; 10-10-2019 at 03:48 PM.

If you view the question as "Who is the greater all-time player?" then Kobe is 100% the correct answer. His prime was insanely long, he had so many years of strong postseason performances, and his three rings certainly don't hurt. If Harden retires right now, Kobe is ahead of him in any all-time conversation, and it's not close.

I agree with you but have one correction, Kobe has 5 rings not 3. Probably a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    I stand by my statement. Iíd rather build around Harden and Shaq than Kobe and Shaq. Itís close but Iíd take Harden. Better playmaker and more willing playmaker than Kobe.
    Itís tough because while I think Harden is superior offensively, the gap isnít big enough to cover how much better Bryant was defensively.

I can't take anyone seriously who says they would take Harden or Kobe. Easily Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I agree with you but have one correction, Kobe has 5 rings not 3. Probably a typo.
    Nope. Just getting old and totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder! I stand corrected!

Of course.

If you view the question as "is Harden better than Kobe?" then the answer is no.
    If you view the question as "is Kobe better than Harden?" then the answer is yes.

How is this even a question?

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    Of course.

If you view the question as "is Harden better than Kobe?" then the answer is no.
    If you view the question as "is Kobe better than Harden?" then the answer is yes.

How is this even a question?
    Because statistics show that Harden's last three seasons have been superior to any of Kobe's best. Question isn't that crazy...MBS answered the question perfectly.

kobe would tear up this league to a far greater degree than harden, no doubt. hes a better fit alongside other stars too

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast