Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Why did Mike Shildt let Jack Flaherty pitch?

Ok, I get one inning since the Cardinals may not have had time to get someone ready to go, but to have Flaherty pitch six innings (104 pitches) when the score was 11-0 in the second inning is grossly negligent in my book. Heck, he batted for himself in the sixth inning. From what I'm gathering, Flaherty probably won't pitch to Game 3, and if the Nationals have the early push, that might be all for Flaherty. Does anyone have a plausible reason for allowing Flaherty to pitch more than one inning?

Got to have faith in more than one guy in your rotation. I have no problem with Flaherty pitching as scheduled today. How bad would it have looked if they decided to turn it in to a bullpen game and it didn't work out?

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

I was surprised they let him pitch 100+. I understand leaving him there and secure the win, but I was expecting maybe pulling him after 5 or ~75 pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I was surprised they let him pitch 100+. I understand leaving him there and secure the win, but I was expecting maybe pulling him after 5 or ~75 pitches.
    Exactly. Though tbf, I stopped watching well before the fifth inning.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Exactly. Though tbf, I stopped watching well before the fifth inning.
    Shoot. I changed it after the first.

I didn't make it much further.

Read that wrong. Thought you said you stopped watching after the fifth.

The cardinals bullpen has give up 7 runs in a single inning TWICE since the last week of the season. They were taking no chances and I agree with the move. he's had the same routine all year and been successful with it... would hate to **** with that now. Pulling him early to have him start game 1 or 2 could easily backfire for those games, and I also don't think having him throw 100 pitches yesterday isn't the end of the world as he'll get his normal rest for game 3

Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    The cardinals bullpen has give up 7 runs in a single inning TWICE since the last week of the season. They were taking no chances and I agree with the move. he's had the same routine all year and been successful with it... would hate to **** with that now. Pulling him early to have him start game 1 or 2 could easily backfire for those games, and I also don't think having him throw 100 pitches yesterday isn't the end of the world as he'll get his normal rest for game 3
    This.. Once he started they weren’t going to pull him early for a possible game 2 start on short rest. He’s already pitched more innings than at any point before so I doubt they plan on using him on short rest at all..

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Ok, I get one inning since the Cardinals may not have had time to get someone ready to go, but to have Flaherty pitch six innings (104 pitches) when the score was 11-0 in the second inning is grossly negligent in my book. Heck, he batted for himself in the sixth inning. From what I'm gathering, Flaherty probably won't pitch to Game 3, and if the Nationals have the early push, that might be all for Flaherty. Does anyone have a plausible reason for allowing Flaherty to pitch more than one inning?
    Jack is only 23 years old. He needs to remain on a consistent routine of pitching every 5th day, on normal number of pitches.

He prepared to pitch Game 5, the work output was prepared for, and he is on his normal rest.

Flaherty is already way over his career innings amount, the last thing we need to be doing is changing things around to where he is pitching on different rest or different pitches or different days.

If we can't win without using our other pitchers, we aren't going to win at all.

I felt 5 innings, and around 80ish pitches was what they should have done. They went an additional inning, whatever.

And while I realize 10-0 was a likely win, you still have to win that game. And the confidence you give the kid for shutting down a deflated playoff team in a deciding game can't hurt.

I agreed with the decision to pitch him. He needs to stay in his routine.