Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    21

    Question What is the graphic box next to the batter on TV games?

    What exactly is this box? I thought it might be the strike zone. However, there are times when a pitch will land inside of it and will be called a ball and times when a pitch will land outside of it and will be called a strike. I've tried to Google it, but the only thing that comes up is the batter's box. It's been bothering me for quite some time now so it will be great to finally get this cleared up.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    43,223
    The strike zone. Umpires are human and don't get every call correct.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    The strike zone. Umpires are human and don't get every call correct.
    Thanks very much! So, when a ball lands inside of it, it's definitely a strike and outside is definitely a ball?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    43,223
    No such thing as definitely when it comes to human umpires and the strike zone.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    8,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Dragon View Post
    Thanks very much! So, when a ball lands inside of it, it's definitely a strike and outside is definitely a ball?
    Yes. But that doesnt account for human error because the ump cant see that box. And a lot of them are pieces of **** like Angel Hernandez. There is a movement that wont be realized any time soon... for robotic umpires.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    21
    Oh, that's unfortunate.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    8,181
    Why would you think that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,671
    bc we all agree here that humans should not call balls and strikes. get in the pool w everyone else.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    16,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    bc we all agree here that humans should not call balls and strikes. get in the pool w everyone else.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm still a fan of letting the umpire overrule the call and be accountable to why that's the case, but at this point if you made me pick one or the other, I'm going robo call all day.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    8,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    bc we all agree here that humans should not call balls and strikes. get in the pool w everyone else.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He said it was unforunate. I was the first one in the pool damnit.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    9,655
    I can live with human error
    It's human bias that p's me off

    these guys have been out there long enough to be more consistent than they are....but when the zone is consistently different for one team vs another, it gets ridiculous........there was a decent amount of that in the Twins/Yankees series...not enough to change it much, but noticeable
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    9,655
    Quote Originally Posted by marychristine View Post
    He said it was unforunate. I was the first one in the pool damnit.
    you must be really wrinkly by now
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,671
    the box isn’t really there. the umpire, batter, and pitcher dont see it since its added by a computer to the televion broadcast.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    56,571
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I can live with human error
    It's human bias that p's me off

    these guys have been out there long enough to be more consistent than they are....but when the zone is consistently different for one team vs another, it gets ridiculous........there was a decent amount of that in the Twins/Yankees series...not enough to change it much, but noticeable
    I think Brooks Baseball did a study and found that umpires only miss about 14% of the borderline calls.

    That's pretty ****ing good.

    That said, we need robo ump for home plate. Too many important games are decided by umps making changes throughout the game, and that can't happen. The players are the humans we are watching to make the errors, not the umps.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I think Brooks Baseball did a study and found that umpires only miss about 14% of the borderline calls.

    That's pretty ****ing good.

    That said, we need robo ump for home plate. Too many important games are decided by umps making changes throughout the game, and that can't happen. The players are the humans we are watching to make the errors, not the umps.
    That's pretty impressive. Problem is some of the misses are so horrible that the optics are much worse than a 14% miss rate would indicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •