Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: NLDS Game 5

Nobody really believes that Brian McCann is a HOFer do they? I mean, he had 1 great year, 1 good year, and then a few years where he was a 2WAR player.

I wish him a great retirement! But, I can't see him in the Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    No matter who wins tonight (Dodgers or Nationals)... at least they had to WORK for it.

We don't match up great versus either in a 7 game series. But... the fact is, we're in it. Even if they're favored, I'll take a 40% chance of making the world series any day of the week!
    Braves were favored as well.

But really helps that the Nats knocked the Dodgers out, the likely better team.

We can beat the Nats, but it won't easy. Their 3 starters are insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    Rooting for the cards but I'd be an idiot to place a sizable wager on them to win the series. I give us a shot in game 1 vs the hometown kid Mad Max who might be too jacked for the stage in his hometown. Win 1 of two, win 1 of three in washington and get it back to st.louis and see how the cards are dealt. sure id like to win in 4, even seal it in washington but thats just not realistic. but even if we lose the series at least its not the dodgers.
    I doubt Max cares that's pitching in St. Louis, he's already pitched 95 career postseason innings, he's prepared.

Nobody really believes that Brian McCann is a HOFer do they? I mean, he had 1 great year, 1 good year, and then a few years where he was a 2WAR player.

I wish him a great retirement! But, I can't see him in the Hall
    Def not a Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Def not a Hall of Famer
    MLB Tonight was constantly talking about how he's one of the greatest, and he's worthy of the Hall.

I was like... what? I mean, great career! Great guy! But unless he wins a bazillion games as a manager, he's not getting into the hall!

Yep... Lake of the Woods, Ontario

www.obabikon.com
    That's awesome! Aren't you from the area?

MLB Tonight was constantly talking about how he's one of the greatest, and he's worthy of the Hall.

I was like... what? I mean, great career! Great guy! But unless he wins a bazillion games as a manager, he's not getting into the hall!
    McCann's ranks among catchers all time

rWAR - 34th between Victor Martinez and Duke Farrell. There are 0 Hall of Famers with less rWAR than McCann, and 13 that have been eligible for the ballot and haven't been voted in so far
    WAR7 (peak basically) - He's 39th between Del Cranall and Tom Haller, next to Darren Daulton
    JAWS - 33rd, between Smoky Burgess and Rick Ferrell (who is a Hall of Famer actually)

He won't go in, and I would be surprised if he even gets enough support to be on the ballot for several years.

That's awesome! Aren't you from the area?
    Yeah... I do 5 months up there and 7 months in Southern Illinois

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2019/10...nlds-decisions

The decisions that he analyzed with a slew of additional information (so we aren't arm chair managing) are

the IBB to McCann
    Leaving Wainwright in
    Letting Hudson Bat
    Starting Carpenter vs Keuchel

He deduces that Schildt has cost us -0.07 wins (out of .5 being average over 5 games)

Which is basically 1 full run worth of negative vs positive decisions. Enough to cost us a 1 run game.

Thoughts?

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2019/10...nlds-decisions

The decisions that he analyzed with a slew of additional information (so we aren't arm chair managing) are

the IBB to McCann
    Leaving Wainwright in
    Letting Hudson Bat
    Starting Carpenter vs Keuchel

He deduces that Schildt has cost us -0.07 wins (out of .5 being average over 5 games)

Which is basically 1 full run worth of negative vs positive decisions. Enough to cost us a 1 run game.

Thoughts?
    In the playoffs... you have to have a manager who SAVES you runs. You can't have one that costs them. Every run counts!

In the playoffs... you have to have a manager who SAVES you runs. You can't have one that costs them. Every run counts!
    Hopefully it's a learning experience. You can't make negative win probability moves, even when the team bails you out.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345