Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps Insider 12 View Post
    Haha...you consumed your time in this forum by defending any criticisms directed towards your demigod Derozan, so you get slighted to any kind of negative comments about him.

What is hilarious in this short story is that, Derozan who idolizes and admitted that he pattered his game to Kobe from the time he learned to dribble that ball down in Compton still couldnít figure out after 11 years in the league what made Kobe the greatest player of all time. Lol.

Life is too short, I strongly recommend that you should elevate your standards a smidge higher in picking someone to worship than that flawed player of yours.
    The only stance I took on derozan was that he contributed to this teams success when he was with us, Jamie disagreed. You can disagree with that too. I really donít care.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    So he liked Derozan. He's not alone, alot of us liked him. For long time after the Bosh era Demar was our only hope. We've come a long way since then. But least not we forget the team we were left with when Bosh bolted for Miami.
    It will take a huge undertaking for SW to get slighted especially not about the flawed alumni .

But I understand that you are doing the best you can here to keep the peace, though the poster can fight his own battles.

Moving on, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I have to say I hate that idea of retiring his number league wide. Just because he died young? Will they retire Jordan, Bird or Magic when they pass away? Or did they miss the arbitrary cut off age to be honoured like that? (These are rhetorical questions TG, not trying to go at you personally).

Jackie Robinson was honoured because he broke down a barrier. Kobe, while great, did not do that. As a matter of fact there are many people who feel the exact opposite about the man and would see retiring his number league wide as a blatant disregard for rape victims. (I donít believe Kobe was guilty, but I understand that many people do).

I think the worst idea I read was to never play games on that day again. I understand that people are emotional about this, myself included, but some of these ideas just make no sense.
    I don't think there's a right answer. People grieve in different ways. Some players will try to honor him by donning a different number, others will try to honor him by wearing his number.

I don't get the Jordan, Bird, Magic argument. What happened to Kobe and the others on the heli was a tragedy, it's not like he peacefully passed away due to old age or some ****. You have to consider the circumstances surrounding his death.
    Last edited by ecart; 01-29-2020 at 12:48 PM.

I have to say I hate that idea of retiring his number league wide. Just because he died young? Will they retire Jordan, Bird or Magic when they pass away? Or did they miss the arbitrary cut off age to be honoured like that? (These are rhetorical questions TG, not trying to go at you personally).

Jackie Robinson was honoured because he broke down a barrier. Kobe, while great, did not do that. As a matter of fact there are many people who feel the exact opposite about the man and would see retiring his number league wide as a blatant disregard for rape victims. (I donít believe Kobe was guilty, but I understand that many people do).

I think the worst idea I read was to never play games on that day again. I understand that people are emotional about this, myself included, but some of these ideas just make no sense.
    I'm generally opposed to just about everything I've heard.

Logo? NO
    MVP? Are you kidding
    Finals MVP? Same as above

Allstar MVP? OK that I can live with

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Haha...you consumed your time in this forum by defending any criticisms directed towards your demigod Derozan, so you get slighted to any kind of negative comments about him.

What is hilarious in this short story is that, Derozan who idolizes and admitted that he pattered his game to Kobe from the time he learned to dribble that ball down in Compton still couldnít figure out after 11 years in the league what made Kobe the greatest player of all time. Lol.

Life is too short, I strongly recommend that you should elevate your standards a smidge higher in picking someone to worship than that flawed player of yours.
    Dont want to get into the anti/pro DeRozan argument again but it really does boggle my mind everytime I hear DeRozan idolized Kobe and tried to model his game after him. Are we sure he didnt mean Kobe Bryant highlights? Kobe would eat him alive as a teammate for his complete apathy on one end.

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    I don't think there's a right answer. People grieve in different ways. Some players will try to honor him by donning a different number, others will try to honor him by wearing his number.

I don't get the Jordan, Bird, Magic argument. What happened to Kobe and the others on the heli was a tragedy, it's not like he peacefully passed away due to old age or some ****. You have to consider the circumstances surrounding his death.
    To me, he's a retired NBA player, it makes no difference if he was 3 years removed, or 40 years removed. Just because he died at a young age, doesn't mean we should honor him. To me it seems that people want to honor him just because of the age and the way he died. Those things shouldn't matter. If a guy is worthy of being honored, you honor him. The age and means of which they died should have no bearing on that. (Unless they died being some type of hero, ie saving children from a burning school bus).

Jordan, Magic and Bird come up because they were all better players than Kobe, yet none of them have been honored by the league. They are the reason basketball became what it is today. If you're going to do league wide retirements and rename awards or create awards, those guys would all come first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    I'm generally opposed to just about everything I've heard.

Logo? NO
    MVP? Are you kidding
    Finals MVP? Same as above

Allstar MVP? OK that I can live with

I need to change my stance. Changing the logo is the worst idea I have now heard. Again, I don't think Kobe raped that girl, but changing the logo to that of an accused rapist is a PR nightmare waiting to happen and if the NBA doesn't see that, they are all fools.

See, I don't get this take. You're going to make Kobe the logo because MJ didn't die first? I gained a lot of respect for Kobe post retirement and was extremely saddened by what happened. But by peak, Kobe is a top 20 player all-time. He gets a nice bump for having longevity/longevity of peak. There isnt even a period of his career when we would call him the best in the game. Would we be doing all this for Allen Iverson? his influence was similar in that it extended more into the culture and idolization territory than pure brilliance.

To me, he's a retired NBA player, it makes no difference if he was 3 years removed, or 40 years removed. Just because he died at a young age, doesn't mean we should honor him. To me it seems that people want to honor him just because of the age and the way he died. Those things shouldn't matter. If a guy is worthy of being honored, you honor him. The age and means of which they died should have no bearing on that. (Unless they died being some type of hero, ie saving children from a burning school bus).

Jordan, Magic and Bird come up because they were all better players than Kobe, yet none of them have been honored by the league. They are the reason basketball became what it is today. If you're going to do league wide retirements and rename awards or create awards, those guys would all come first.
    Is it ok if I just copy and paste this all over the internet? I couldnt have stated my feelings more precisely if they were my words.

Is it ok if I just copy and paste this all over the internet? I couldnt have stated my feelings more precisely if they were my words.

Thanks Jamie I appreciate that. And permission granted

See, I don't get this take. You're going to make Kobe the logo because MJ didn't die first? I gained a lot of respect for Kobe post retirement and was extremely saddened by what happened. But by peak, Kobe is a top 20 player all-time. He gets a nice bump for having longevity/longevity of peak. There isnt even a period of his career when we would call him the best in the game. Would we be doing all this for Allen Iverson? his influence was similar in that it extended more into the culture and idolization territory than pure brilliance.

lmfao imagine gatekeeping how people choose to grief. Yikes. "Because MJ didn't die first" JFC, what a garbage take.
    Last edited by ecart; 01-29-2020 at 10:48 PM.

lmfao imagine gatekeeping how people choose to grief. Yikes. "Because MJ didn't die first" JFC, what a garbage take.
    Iím really glad you said that actually. You prove the point. Nobody should be making a decision like what has been suggested during the grieving period. It would be an emotional decision.

It will take a huge undertaking for SW to get slighted especially not about the flawed alumni .

But I understand that you are doing the best you can here to keep the peace, though the poster can fight his own battles.

Moving on, cheers.
    Cheers my guy

Kobe was loved and admired by so many in the NBA family. It's not about who he was better than or where he ranked vs other players. It's about an all time great that was tragically taken far too young along with several other lives including children, with one being his 13 year old daughter. The NBA might feel the need to remember/honour this some how.

Simply taking his achievements or ranking among other players, in to consideration just doesn't seem right. There's def more to it than that in this case.

lol a guy died and his friends and family are trying to find the best way to honor him and fill the void in their hearts. And you guys are judging whether he stacks up to your imaginary benchmarks and is worthy of all this praise. It's so unbelievably stupid.

It's like if a kid drowns and a school names a scholarship or library after them, you're not going to complain about the kid not having a 4.0 and how they stack up to other honor roll students.
    Last edited by ecart; 01-30-2020 at 01:34 AM.

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast