Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
    How do you boys feel about Kai Jones??

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    How do you boys feel about Kai Jones??
    He has arguably the second or third highest ceiling in the draft, behind Green or Mobley. But his floor is really really low. He is arguably as much of a unicorn as Mobley if not more because his athleticism is way better but Mobley has better feel for the game, is more refined and proven.

As a late lottery, he's not a bad pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    He has arguably the second or third highest ceiling in the draft, behind Green or Mobley. But his floor is really really low. He is arguably as much of a unicorn as Mobley if not more because his athleticism is way better but Mobley has better feel for the game, is more refined and proven.

As a late lottery, he's not a bad pick.
    Ok so you see him as a guy that could fall out of the top 10? They latest projections have him as a lottery pick.

Then again the latest projections all have us drafting a sf. so who knows.

Ok so you see him as a guy that could fall out of the top 10? They latest projections have him as a lottery pick.

Depends, it could go either way depending on workouts and internal assessments. His athleticism is insane, probably some of the best athleticism I've seen at that position in the lottery in the past couple of years. When most scouts say a big is athletic, they're usually talking about their vertical and not their burst because it doesn't matter for bigs, but Kai Jones' first step and bounce is absolutely insane. Some players need a runway to get up but not him. As a rim runner, offensive rebounder or pnr big, his potential is insane. He's one of those bigs where one step after a screen he's already in the air dunking the ball. His lateral quicks are also elite. He can legit guard 1-5, even better than Mobley. So his athletic potential is absolutely insane. He also has natural ball handling skills, pick and pop potential and his fluidity is great for his size.

But dude got into basketball late so his bball iq is low. Hard to tell if he has potential to improve or if he'll remain this bad at reading the floor. His hands are also really bad, so he can't really make use of his athleticism. Again, it is one of those things where you don't know if he has room for growth due to his lack of track record and inexperience. It is one of those things they have to see for themselves internally. He could easily improve rapidly and make rapid jumps like Pascal or be in the G-League/out of the league within a few years. But given our track record with guys like that (Boucher, Pascal etc) I like our chances.
    Last edited by ecart; 04-13-2021 at 03:04 PM.

This video does a very good job highlighting his athleticism and his weaknesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXMsL5EBi_0

Depends, it could go either way depending on workouts and internal assessments. His athleticism is insane, probably some of the best athleticism I've seen at that position in the lottery in the past couple of years. When most scouts say a big is athletic, they're usually talking about their vertical and not their burst because it doesn't matter for bigs, but Kai Jones' first step and bounce is absolutely insane. Some players need a runway to get up but not him. As a rim runner, offensive rebounder or pnr big, his potential is insane. He's one of those bigs where one step after a screen he's already in the air dunking the ball. His lateral quicks are also elite. He can legit guard 1-5, even better than Mobley. So his athletic potential is absolutely insane. He also has natural ball handling skills, pick and pop potential and his fluidity is great for his size.

But dude got into basketball late so his bball iq is low. Hard to tell if he has potential to improve or if he'll remain this bad at reading the floor. His hands are also really bad, so he can't really make use of his athleticism. Again, it is one of those things where you don't know if he has room for growth due to his lack of track record and inexperience. It is one of those things they have to see for themselves internally. He could easily improve rapidly and make rapid jumps like Pascal or be in the G-League/out of the league within a few years. But given our track record with guys like that (Boucher, Pascal etc) I like our chances.
    Thanks for the break down brother, it sounds like he has all the natural ability to be a gifted player. But needs for it to click between the ears. Good comparison to Siakam being that he started playing late as well. I sometimes worry about basketball iq because there are guys with all the gifts in the world but just never figure it out.

This video does a very good job highlighting his athleticism and his weaknesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXMsL5EBi_0
    Awesome, Ill take it in. I was googling around for that.

Edit: Dam dude looks like a straight up pogo stick.

Thanks for the break down brother, it sounds like he has all the natural ability to be a gifted player. But needs for it to click between the ears. Good comparison to Siakam being that he started playing late as well. I sometimes worry about basketball iq because there are guys with all the gifts in the world but just never figure it out.
    He kinda moves like Siakam ngl, especially with the way he dribbles but he is way more athletic. People will call me a hater but I think if he is drafted on the right team he is gonna be better than Mobley.

Crazier things have happened.
    We have such a glaring hole at C, so obviously we all want to see that get filled in the draft. But after Mobley I don’t see any high ceiling bigs. Maybe a whiteside type or something, but that would be a waste of a year imo.
    BPA. We need to add ceiling on this team.

Awesome, Ill take it in. I was googling around for that.

Edit: Dam dude looks like a straight up pogo stick.
    Yeah if he can develop his shooting and understanding of the game he can be like a Christian Wood. Wood is pretty athletic but I think KJ is an even better athlete.

Seems to me he would benefit by playing with a floor general type like Lowry who would feed him in his spots. He looks confident in getting the ball in the paint and going up strong. But if we dont have a floor general like Lowry he could look lost out there. I dont see a guy like FVV getting him going which could be a problem with these young bigs.

He kinda moves like Siakam ngl, especially with the way he dribbles but he is way more athletic. People will call me a hater but I think if he is drafted on the right team he is gonna be better than Mobley.
    They seem like they’re going to play different positions long term, so I find it difficult to compare. PF/C.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Crazier things have happened.
    We have such a glaring hole at C, so obviously we all want to see that get filled in the draft. But after Mobley I don’t see any high ceiling bigs. Maybe a whiteside type or something, but that would be a waste of a year imo.
    BPA. We need to add ceiling on this team.
    I think they will go BPA as you said. But personally, Im just trying to check out some of the big men in the draft in order to see if any of them would fit what were trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    They seem like they’re going to play different positions long term, so I find it difficult to compare. PF/C.
    I don't think there's a difference between 4s and 5s in the modern NBA. 5s only exist situationally and dependent on personnel.

Watch out for the following 2 guys from Senegal if they fall to them with those second round picks they have now:

Ibou Dianko Badji -compared to Dikembe standing 7'1 with a 7'8 wingspan and quick twitch body. Some have him as the 2nd best C prospect in this draft behind Mobley.

Amar Sylla- compared as "Pascal 2.0"....except he's a lefty.

Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast