Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Watch out for the following 2 guys from Senegal if they fall to them with those second round picks they have now:

Ibou Dianko Badji -compared to Dikembe standing 7'1 with a 7'8 wingspan and quick twitch body. Some have him as the 2nd best C prospect in this draft behind Mobley.

Amar Sylla- compared as "Pascal 2.0"....except he's a lefty.
    I beleive we have two second round picks if Im not mistaking? we could go BPA with our first rounder, and then target two prospect big men with our 2nd rounders.

Watch out for the following 2 guys from Senegal if they fall to them with those second round picks they have now:

Ibou Dianko Badji -compared to Dikembe standing 7'1 with a 7'8 wingspan and quick twitch body. Some have him as the 2nd best C prospect in this draft behind Mobley.

Badji is really underrated. Don't understand why some are projecting him mid second round. Maybe he has some buyout issue I don't know about. He has a NBA ready body and can contribute right away.

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    This video does a very good job highlighting his athleticism and his weaknesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXMsL5EBi_0
    6'11 with a 7'1 wing span
    Terrific offensive rebounder
    Really mobile & athletic for a big man
    Great in the open floor, runs hard
    Offensive versatility
    Defensive impact

sounds intriguing enough, nothing mentioned about shot blocking or 3pt range which are so important for bigs these days. I guess highlighting defensive impact would indicate he can rebound and protect the rim.

Badji is really underrated. Don't understand why some are projecting him mid second round. Maybe he has some buyout issue I don't know about. He has a NBA ready body and can contribute right away.
    I like the sound of that.

Depends, it could go either way depending on workouts and internal assessments. His athleticism is insane, probably some of the best athleticism I've seen at that position in the lottery in the past couple of years. When most scouts say a big is athletic, they're usually talking about their vertical and not their burst because it doesn't matter for bigs, but Kai Jones' first step and bounce is absolutely insane. Some players need a runway to get up but not him. As a rim runner, offensive rebounder or pnr big, his potential is insane. He's one of those bigs where one step after a screen he's already in the air dunking the ball. His lateral quicks are also elite. He can legit guard 1-5, even better than Mobley. So his athletic potential is absolutely insane. He also has natural ball handling skills, pick and pop potential and his fluidity is great for his size.

But dude got into basketball late so his bball iq is low. Hard to tell if he has potential to improve or if he'll remain this bad at reading the floor. His hands are also really bad, so he can't really make use of his athleticism. Again, it is one of those things where you don't know if he has room for growth due to his lack of track record and inexperience. It is one of those things they have to see for themselves internally. He could easily improve rapidly and make rapid jumps like Pascal or be in the G-League/out of the league within a few years. But given our track record with guys like that (Boucher, Pascal etc) I like our chances.
    Kai Jones might be the highest ceiling-floor variable pick in the lottery. I'd be fine with it given our developental system. You broke down his strengths really well. He is a big swing, but a worthy one if you are an organization committed to him. Just need to temper year one expectations.

Interestingly, I've seen mocks with Badji omitted entirely. Physical tools are incredible. I bet someone takes a look with a 2nd round pick. I'd be more comfortable with Sharpe, Prkacin, Kockburn, Huckporti. But their are a ton of interesting bigs in the 2nd round.

I don't think there's a difference between 4s and 5s in the modern NBA. 5s only exist situationally and dependent on personnel.
    Sry I posted this in the wrong thread.
    But that assessment podcast you posted of what Gasol used to bring and what Ibaka brought... I just donít see Kai being a QB of a defence. Where Mobleyís awareness has him primed to become exactly that in the future.

Kai is more along the lines of a siakam who contributes defensively by just being able to fly all around the court and cover space. But you still need a defensive QB. Also why guys like whiteside and Drummond are just stat stuffers. They donít have the awareness to tell guys where to be and what to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    But that assessment podcast you posted of what Gasol used to bring and what Ibaka brought... I just donít see Kai being a QB of a defence. Where Mobleyís awareness has him primed to become exactly that in the future.

Kai is more along the lines of a siakam who contributes defensively by just being able to fly all around the court and cover space. But you still need a defensive QB. Also why guys like whiteside and Drummond are just stat stuffers. They donít have the awareness to tell guys where to be and what to watch out for.
    Yeah but that's not a PF vs C thing. That's just a bball IQ thing.

Only thing, Whiteside was a much better rim protector. Drummond doesnít play any d

Yeah but that's not a PF vs C thing. That's just a bball IQ thing.
    I think it is. I see what youíre saying, but the best defensive QBís should be Cís. They donít have to scramble as much because theyíre usually defending a slower player, they can see over everyone, and theyíre positioned to look at the entire court while defending their man. A modern PF spends a lot of time defending at the perimeter and scrambling for close outs.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Only thing, Whiteside was a much better rim protector. Drummond doesnít play any d
    Gasol was a great QB without rim protection. I think you understand what Iím saying I wonít keep going on the subject.

I think it is. I see what youíre saying, but the best defensive QBís should be Cís. They donít have to scramble as much because theyíre usually defending a slower player, they can see over everyone, and theyíre positioned to look at the entire court while defending their man. A modern PF spends a lot of time defending at the perimeter and scrambling for close outs.
    Well that's changing. Only reason they still do it is cause they're slow so coaches do drop coverage to hide them on the pick and roll. But the newer generation of big men can all guard in space and can play on the perimeter (so you're dragged out anyway), so that's not necessarily true. A good example of this is Embiid. Sixers drop coverage got burnt last season in the playoffs by Celtics perimeter players. This season Embiid doesn't drop anymore. So if even a big dude like him who is sick at protecting the rim needs to defend in space, I foresee that trend continuing. So if Mobley is as legit as they say, I highly doubt he will be in the back chilling.
    Last edited by ecart; 04-13-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Gasol was a great QB without rim protection. I think you understand what Iím saying I wonít keep going on the subject.
    I get what youíre saying about being a defensive anchor. Iím just saying Drummonds biggest knock on him is that he canít play d. Whiteside on the other hand made a name for himself with his defence earlier in his career.

Fun fact we gave Whiteside a summer league try out in 2014. We cut him for Greg Stiemsma lol... Memphis then signed him and he then ended up in Miami where he became a monster rebounder and shot blocker. Certain dumb things the Raptors have done in the past trigger memories for me lol

Well that's changing. Only reason they still do it is cause they're slow so coaches do drop coverage to hide them on the pick and roll. But the newer generation of big men can all guard in space and can play on the perimeter (so you're dragged out anyway), so that's not necessarily true. A good example of this is Embiid. Sixers drop coverage got burnt last season in the playoffs by Celtics perimeter players. This season Embiid doesn't drop anymore. So if even a big dude like him who is sick at protecting the rim needs to defend in space, I foresee that trend continuing. So if Mobley is as legit as they say, I highly doubt he will be in the back chilling.
    Right, but when was the last time embiid called a defensive coverage?

Maybe he does it all the time, I donít watch a ton of philly games. But I donít see him QBing the defence like Gasol did ever. I donít think he is capable.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I get what youíre saying about being a defensive anchor. Iím just saying Drummonds biggest knock on him is that he canít play d. Whiteside on the other hand made a name for himself with his defence earlier in his career.

Fun fact we gave Whiteside a summer league try out in 2014. We cut him for Greg Stiemsma lol... Memphis then signed him and he then ended up in Miami where he became a monster rebounder and shot blocker. Certain dumb things the Raptors have done in the past trigger memories for me lol
    Yeah and Iím not saying whiteside is a bad defender, Iím just saying he is a bed defensive QB. He will never get to gasols or even ibaka level at that.

And even more so - what Iím saying is that Mobley has a better chance to become that tan Kai.

Yeah and Iím not saying whiteside is a bad defender, Iím just saying he is a bed defensive QB. He will never get to gasols or even ibaka level at that.

And even more so - what Iím saying is that Mobley has a better chance to become that tan Kai.
    Well he is way passed his prime now. But yeah there was a time Whiteside was anchoring defences. Didnít you watch the heat in 2014-2015-16-17 ??

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast