Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Haven't listened to it, but apparently Chris Long (Kyle's brother) said on the Ryen Russillo podcast that the coaching staff doesn't believe in Trubisky. Normally I wouldn't put a ton of stock in this stuff, but it's a current players brother, a guy that's been in several NFL locker rooms, and the play calling this season kinda mirrors that.

[QUOTE=DamnGoat;33186333]Not surprised at all, not good. Hope he's wrong.
    Last edited by blams; 10-09-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that I firmly believe if he doesn't show significant improvement ROS then we'll have a new starter next year. There's a little too much smoke for me to think otherwise.

Pace and Nagy aren't idiots. They have to be aware of how long these windows last. Best case for this current group is 2 more years because the roster will become increasingly more expensive and quality depth (and some starters) will be moving on. The window can always be extended if they hit really big on some draft picks, but you can't count on that, and you can't just sit on your hands with an awesome, mostly locked in defense either.

How would Long really know that though ? Is Nagy and Co telling Mitch and the locker room they donít believe in him? This would make it look even worse on Kyle if heís letting this info out. Maybe Kyle doesnít believe in Mitch? Iím sure thereís some smoke to this, but hard to tell how much and where exactly itís coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    How would Long really know that though ? Is Nagy and Co telling Mitch and the locker room they donít believe in him? This would make it look even worse on Kyle if heís letting this info out. Maybe Kyle doesnít believe in Mitch? Iím sure thereís some smoke to this, but hard to tell how much and where exactly itís coming from.
    If thatís the case, Kyle can hit the road. If heís talking about how bad Mitch is, dude needs to look in the mirror. Through five weeks, heís been the worst player on the roster. And yes, worse than Mitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    I guess what I'm getting at here is that I firmly believe if he doesn't show significant improvement ROS then we'll have a new starter next year. There's a little too much smoke for me to think otherwise.

Pace and Nagy aren't idiots. They have to be aware of how long these windows last. Best case for this current group is 2 more years because the roster will become increasingly more expensive and quality depth (and some starters) will be moving on. The window can always be extended if they hit really big on some draft picks, but you can't count on that, and you can't just sit on your hands with an awesome, mostly locked in defense either.
    Agreed. You don't want to read too much into things, but the speed with which we closed down the playbook from the first to second game this year makes you think that Mitch had a pretty short leash out there.

The bigger question is what did Pace miss in evaluating QBs that made him think Mitch was the answer? And if so, how does he change it the next time around.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

I suppose he wouldn't know for sure. Anyone besides Nagy, some of the coaches, and Mitch (maybe) probably wouldn't be certain. I'm sure players can feel a negative vibe though, if there is one. I feel like if you're looking at this Bears offense objectively then it's not hard to see Nagy doesn't trust Mitch. The way he's called games since late last season kinda tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron!n View Post
    Agreed. You don't want to read too much into things, but the speed with which we closed down the playbook from the first to second game this year makes you think that Mitch had a pretty short leash out there.

The bigger question is what did Pace miss in evaluating QBs that made him think Mitch was the answer? And if so, how does he change it the next time around.
    No idea. Pace was pretty high on Watson too. I actually thought he was going to be the pick before hearing Trubisky's name called back in 2017. All I can hope is that he gets it right the next time. He's built a strong enough roster that I think he deserves another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    I suppose he wouldn't know for sure. Anyone besides Nagy, some of the coaches, and Mitch (maybe) probably wouldn't be certain. I'm sure players can feel a negative vibe though, if there is one. I feel like if you're looking at this Bears offense objectively then it's not hard to see Nagy doesn't trust Mitch. The way he's called games since late last season kinda tell you that.
    I know Nagy didnít sound too disappointed that Mitch was out. He kind of sounded excited that chase was in lol....then Oakland happened.

You could be right about a general vibe. Players might or probably have lost faith in him as well.

I actually worry about Pace drafting a QB. He wanted to trade up for Mariota (who has been a bust) and drafted Mitch (which has been a bust). His FA signings havenít been any better.

I also know he has talked about drafting QBs regularly, but that appears to be a lie. In his time in a meaningful role in NO (2007-2015) they drafted one QB - Sean Canfield. In CHI he has drafted one QB - Trubisky.

I think Pace has done a great job building this roster and finding late round draft talent, but Pace picking the next QB actually concerns me - a lot.

On another note, I am beginning to question the ďoffensive geniusĒ label for Nagy. Andy Reid seems to be the common denominator, not Nagy. KC didnít miss a beat losing Nagy and/or Alex Smith. And while CHI was really good last year, it wasnít because of their offense. CHI has had mediocre (at best) run game since Nagy arrived, he has been unable to help develop a young QB, he has been unable to create game plans that minimize weaknesses and create consistent success, he has been unable to win when his hand-picked backup starts, and more. I mean, aside from some fun gadget plays, where is the ďgeniusĒ?

Honestly, if Nagy was that good and creative, wouldnít he be able to find a way for Howard to fit his offense? Or to help Trubisky grow? Or to recognize and adapt to Mitchís strengths? And why canít these young, highly drafted offensive players (Shaheen, Miller, Montgomery) progress and/or be consistently involved? This may seem over-critical, but I think if you are sold as an ďoffensive geniusĒ you should be held accountable to make the most out of the pieces given to you. I donít think Nagy and Co are doing that.

Mitch certainly has his issues and plays a role in this. But in my estimation there are some real concerns aside from Mitch. And if people are just ready to move on and let Pace pick the next QB, you may want to stop and think about that a bit more. Either in FA or the Draft, the one position Pace has consistently struggled to get right is QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most GMs struggle with drafting QBs. Itís the hardest position to project in all of sports. It hurts more because Pace seems to have picked the worse of the top QBs but then again, most had Mitch as the #1 QB. All of the Bears scouts had Mitch as the #1 QB. What is Pace going to do, go against everyone of his scouts? That doesnít seem very smart either. Looks like he missed but I think most in his situation would have missed too.

Still think Mariota does well in the right system.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

I think most GMs struggle with drafting QBs. Itís the hardest position to project in all of sports. It hurts more because Pace seems to have picked the worse of the top QBs but then again, most had Mitch as the #1 QB. All of the Bears scouts had Mitch as the #1 QB. What is Pace going to do, go against everyone of his scouts? That doesnít seem very smart either. Looks like he missed but I think most in his situation would have missed too.
    It is amazing how many draft boards and companies had Mitch as the #1 QB prospect; based on what, his completion %? (Watson, Mitch, and Mahomes are basically the same size)

I think the thing most scouts overlooked is who these guys played against. While Mitch had an easier go in the ACC, Mahomes and Watson had to go against the Big 12 and the SEC.
    Broncos be like:

Quote Originally Posted by flclfanman View Post
    It is amazing how many draft boards and companies had Mitch as the #1 QB prospect; based on what, his completion %? (Watson, Mitch, and Mahomes are basically the same size)

I think the thing most scouts overlooked is who these guys played against. While Mitch had an easier go in the ACC, Mahomes and Watson had to go against the Big 12 and the SEC.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but his lack of experience is probably playing a roll in this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but his lack of experience is probably playing a roll in this.
    Which makes trading UP to number 2 to draft him even more of a head scratcher.

I'm down with Mitch as a 1-2 year project, but not when you give up value 3rd and 4th rounders for him.
    Broncos be like:

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast