Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 69 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1186
    David Fizdale: Ball movement issue as Knicks build chemistry

By Marc Berman

Knicks brass had a chance to arrange a maximum six preseason games but opted for just four.

Knicks coach David Fizdale mentioned Friday before the preseason finale he could have used eight considering the new faces. But ready or not, the Spurs, angry over the Marcus Morris fiasco, await Wednesday in San Antonio for the season opener before a Brooklyn-Boston back-to-back on Friday and Saturday.

“We understand where we are with a lot of new faces, but still are going out to compete to win,’’ Fizdale said. “I don’t make any excuses. We’ll keep working through the chemistry and try to get wins.

“We’re going to keep getting better,’’ Fizdale added. “We’ve got a really deep group. Obviously we’ve still got a lot to work on to get connected. But we’re getting better every game. We’ve just got to start building some trust.”

Asked what he meant by trust, Fizdale said he’s referring partly to “ball stops’’ on offense. Ball movement wasn’t terrific during their 1-3 preseason.

“You see the ball stopping a lot, and we hold or we get a turnover because we’re hesitant to let it go and just make that easy play,’’ Fizdale said. “That’s something I’m just going to keep drilling into them. Eventually we’ll get to where we’re willing to work it to the second side.”

Fizdale still has to choose a starting point guard among Elfrid Payton, Dennis Smith Jr. and Frank Ntilikina after a derby that seemed less than enthralling. Payton, a good defender and penetrator with a playmaking mentality, is the safe choice and most accomplished of the trio, and a favorite of general manager Scott Perry.

Smith has the higher ceiling but is a project. He shot 3-of-17 in a two-game audition and doesn’t appear ready for the starting role. If they go the Smith route, it is a public-relations move in propping up the key piece to the Kristaps Porzingis trade.

Fizdale said he could see a revolving door at that slot and is amenable to playing all three. The point guard trio combined to shoot dreadful 14-of-58 in preseason.

The Knicks have to make a decision on Ntilikina’s fourth-year option of $6.3 million and a source indicated it could be made before the season opener to eliminate any distraction.

The center position has not been finalized yet. Bobby Portis, an outside-shooting big, started one game over Mitchell Robinson and the spacing appeared better.

It also kept the Knicks 2018 second-round shotblocker out of foul trouble. A Randle-Portis frontline may actually be a better tandem than Robinson-Randle. Robinson notched 10 points and four blocks in the finale.

Sorting out a rotation for the opener is Fizdale’s biggest challenge. There will be unhappy campers who aren’t in it, with three point guards and four shooting guards (RJ Barrett, Wayne Ellington, Allonzo Trier and Damyean Dotson).

The massive amount of playing time for Barrett had consequences. Their second-round pick, Michigan’s Ignas Brazdeikis, notched three DNPs and played just seven minutes total. Kevin Knox averaged just 22 minutes and didn’t make as huge an impact as hoped, shooting 37.9 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfStarks View Post
    Frank would run point next to RJ but you could allow RJ to have the ball more/operate more in half court and still get big value out of Frank on D next to him which is why I feel like that’s our best look personally.
    it is, if no one is going to space the floor at the PG position we might as well put defense and incredible size/length in the backcourt. We'd have two guys with SF size at the guards.

DSJR"s playmaking would just be wasted for the most part next to RJ, RJ is already better and you dont need two guys doing the same thing.

Frank in the starting line-up would make the Knicks the slowest, worst shooting, and least athletic starting five in history. Lottery bound big time

Start: RJ, Trier, Knox, Randle, Mitch

Bench: DSjr, Ellington, DOT, Morris, Taj

Frank is the swiss army knife you put in against the other teams scoring guard/s when they're getting hot.
    RJ Barrett at 19yrs old is scary. My goodness, what do we have on our hands when his body matures? Beast
    I guess we know Randle can shoot a little bit

Trier changed the game. I like his versatility in the starting line-up to help get baskets and break down the defense early. Let Morris come in off the bench and go bananas like it looks like he wants to but him Mitch, and Randle is tough.
    Last edited by Bivory; 10-20-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    Frank in the starting line-up would make the Knicks the slowest, worst shooting, and least athletic starting five in history. Lottery bound big time

Start: RJ, Trier, Knox, Randle, Mitch

Bench: DSjr, Ellington, DOT, Morris, Taj

Frank is the swiss army knife you put in against the other teams scoring guard/s when they're getting hot.
    RJ Barrett at 19yrs old is scary. My goodness, what do we have on our hands when his body matures? Beast
    I guess we know Randle can shoot a little bit

Trier changed the game. I like his versatility in the starting line-up to help get baskets and break down the defense early. Let Morris come in off the bench and go bananas like it looks like he wants to but him Mitch, and Randle is tough.
    Knicks are going to be lottery bound regardless who they play next to RJ at PG.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Athletism means jack **** if your opponent still outscore you and you can't get advantage on either end of court.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    Knicks are going to be lottery bound regardless who they play next to RJ at PG.

Ha. That's probably true. Another reason why I say play our young guys who have a chance of going forward. The difference in wins will be minimal and our pick will be better. Got my eyes on the Ball kid. Can't believe Im already thinking that way. I digress..

Knicks pre-season leading scoring all came from the front court except for RJ and even he played SF some. We need some guard scoring and we need versatile efficient guard play. Trier provides our best chance at that for us imo. He can help bring up the rock cause I dont want RJ doing that and expending silly energy if teams try to press.

I worry about Ellingtons versatility and consistency being so one dimensional. Knicks have no reliable guard play other than RJ so why not give Trier a chance? Everything else has failed.

Cant really take this team seriously this year when they got Bobby Portis watching us instead of the other way around

Give me the other Melo at PG next year Le' Melo Ball, he's 6-6, crafty with the ball and can shoot unlike the current PG's we have on the team.

Le Melo and RJ would be scary moving forward with Knox and Big Mitch that's a load of length.

Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    Ha. That's probably true. Another reason why I say play our young guys who have a chance of going forward. The difference in wins will be minimal and our pick will be better. Got my eyes on the Ball kid. Can't believe Im already thinking that way. I digress..

Knicks pre-season leading scoring all came from the front court except for RJ and even he played SF some. We need some guard scoring and we need versatile efficient guard play. Trier provides our best chance at that for us imo. He can help bring up the rock cause I dont want RJ doing that and expending silly energy if teams try to press.

I worry about Ellingtons versatility and consistency being so one dimensional. Knicks have no reliable guard play other than RJ so why not give Trier a chance? Everything else has failed.
    Ellington was waste of signing with trier and Dotson here plus Bullock coming back soon and payton is dreadful to watch. Trier or Frank should be starting either go better defense or better spacing.

Ellington was waste of signing with trier and Dotson here plus Bullock coming back soon and payton is dreadful to watch. Trier or Frank should be starting either go better defense or better spacing.

Truth

But fiz and staff signed all these vets and guaranteed them minutes so they would come here. So young guys like frank and trier probably wont get minutes.

So no matter how bad these bums play theyll get minutes, just like vonleh and mudiay last season.

Fiz openly spoke about how he got them minutes so they could get future contracts with other teams. Said he kept up his side of the bargain. This is a weak attempt by Knicks to suck up to player agents.

Basically everything points to payton getting a lot of undeserved minutes, especially once you read bermans articles about payton being more "accomplished" than the other guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Truth

But fiz and staff signed all these vets and guaranteed them minutes so they would come here. So young guys like frank and trier probably wont get minutes.

So no matter how bad these bums play theyll get minutes, just like vonleh and mudiay last season.

Fiz openly spoke about how he got them minutes so they could get future contracts with other teams. Said he kept up his side of the bargain. This is a weak attempt by Knicks to suck up to player agents.

Basically everything points to payton getting a lot of undeserved minutes, especially once you read bermans articles about payton being more "accomplished" than the other guys.
    That's the Knicks plan in that they have no plan on how to change culture from production standpoint other then writing cheesy headlines and suck up to c tier player agents there is zero plan on basketball end other then hope someday LeBron in his 60s takes pity on them and takes there 70 mil cap space.

That's the Knicks plan in that they have no plan on how to change culture from production standpoint other then writing cheesy headlines and suck up to c tier player agents there is zero plan on basketball end other then hope someday LeBron in his 60s takes pity on them and takes there 70 mil cap space.

When fiz was in memphis and they were a non stop playoff team in the west he decided he didnt like the roster and wanted his own guys, so he got rid of Zach Randolph, Vince Carter and Tony Allen, major pieces to their core and exchanged them for Ben McLemore, Tyreke Evans and Mario Chalmers.

So maybe fiz just likes bums?

And than he crapped all over their best player and team leader in Marc Gasol.

Fiz is a egotisical blowhard, he may be a good coach, well find out this year, but he needs to stop acting like hes a god just because he was an assistant on a team that had bron and wade.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    When fiz was in memphis and they were a non stop playoff team in the west he decided he didnt like the roster and wanted his own guys, so he got rid of Zach Randolph, Vince Carter and Tony Allen, major pieces to their core and exchanged them for Ben McLemore, Tyreke Evans and Mario Chalmers.

So maybe fiz just likes bums?

And than he crapped all over their best player and team leader in Marc Gasol.

Fiz is a egotisical blowhard, he may be a good coach, well find out this year, but he needs to stop acting like hes a god just because he was an assistant on a team that had bron and wade.
    How many coaches are we going to sacrifice until we accept that the FO has no clue how to build teams this ppl were hired by none other then Dolan. Steve Mills zero vision doesn't have a clue how his star player was feeling until doomsday arrived and he kisses up to owner and agents that's his only good quality. Freckles Perry is collecting his Orlando rejects for one last huzzah payday at least he dumped Melo and got Mitch out of it but the guy is trying to build a 90s relic in 2019 which just doesn't work when your trying to run (dsjr rj morris randle mitch) it's a nightmare for any coach out there and a gift for any opponent out there hardly any spacing mediocre to downright pathetic shooters and subpar defense two guys can't cover 5 opponents the only thing I pray for is Dolan selling the team to someone who loves basketball.

NY Knicks- Preseason Game threads- 2019

How many coaches are we going to sacrifice until we accept that the FO has no clue how to build teams this ppl were hired by none other then Dolan. Steve Mills zero vision doesn't have a clue how his star player was feeling until doomsday arrived and he kisses up to owner and agents that's his only good quality. Freckles Perry is collecting his Orlando rejects for one last huzzah payday at least he dumped Melo and got Mitch out of it but the guy is trying to build a 90s relic in 2019 which just doesn't work when your trying to run (dsjr rj morris randle mitch) it's a nightmare for any coach out there and a gift for any opponent out there hardly any spacing mediocre to downright pathetic shooters and subpar defense two guys can't cover 5 opponents the only thing I pray for is Dolan selling the team to someone who loves basketball.

Agreed hes just upset bc he has such a hard on for Frank he doesn’t understand how a guy shooting 30% from the field could get only 20 mins a night. I agree with you that we added unnecessary guys but we added them now Fiz is going to play who he thinks it best. Anyway we have to have a scapegoat if Frank can’t hit the side of a barn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Yeea that's the worst part. As long as Dolan is here the knicks will be miserable. But if ain't going anywhere the knicks will own misery indefinitely. All this talk at the end of the day about who starts
    , Who should we trade, who should we bring in, who's delusional lol really is pointless

Page 69 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast