Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    My problems with most of the regulations I've read is that there is not enough flexibility in the enforcement, and sometimes the spirit of the regulation gets lost in the minutiae.

And some regulation is just regulation because it seems someone felt they needed to add a regulation to be seen doing their job. And some of it costs the public billions for effectively no gain.
    And both of those are valid, and there are many, many regulations that are guilty of this and/or need to be replaced/repealed. But 90-99%? Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    And both of those are valid, and there are many, many regulations that are guilty of this and/or need to be replaced/repealed. But 90-99%? Not a chance.
    If we do away with 90%, then based on one estimate I saw of 1M total pages of regulations now, we'd be down to more than 110,000 pages. I think we can put a hell of a lot of useful detailed regs in 110,000 pages of regs. 50,000 seems like a lot to me.

Bill Gates said that if we went to AOC's plan today we could make up for a lot of the damage other countries are doing. So, no, not irrelevant ... just far from enough.
    That's just not true.

And AOC's plan calls for a decrease in Nuclear Energy, and Natural Gas.

Renewable aren't reliable enough to power a modern country, hell they're not enough to power DEVELOPING countries.
    Kenya won't be able to “leapfrog” fossil fuels with its wind farm. On the contrary, all of that unreliable wind energy is likely to increase the price of electricity and make Kenya’s slow climb out of poverty even slower.

Heidegger, like much of the conservation movement, would have hated what the Energiewende has become: an excuse for the destruction of natural landscapes and local communities.
    This fetishization of solar and wind has to stop, it's unreliable and unscientific.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#602c67ffea2b

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    That's just not true.

And AOC's plan calls for a decrease in Nuclear Energy, and Natural Gas.

Renewable aren't reliable enough to power a modern country, hell they're not enough to power DEVELOPING countries.

This fetishization of solar and wind has to stop, it's unreliable and unscientific.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#602c67ffea2b
    To be clear, Gates didn't think it was viable and did say it would be INCREDIBLY expensive and would rely on massive infrastructure improvements but that it was possible. His main point was that while we would make things less bad we would fall well short of making a big difference for the planet.

He went on to make the point that dragging countries like India and China up to the current US level would make a far greater impact on climate change
    Last edited by Scoots; 10-11-2019 at 03:41 PM.

To be clear, Gates didn't think it was viable and did say it would be INCREDIBLY expensive and would rely on massive infrastructure improvements but that it was possible. His main point was that while we would make things less bad we would fall well short of making a big difference for the planet.

He went on to make the point that dragging countries like India and China up to the current US level would make a far greater impact on climate change
    Even that I disagree with, because even if we spent the money and suffered with the massive disruptions it would bring, it still wouldn't make a dent in global carbon emissions.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345