Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 675 of 948
  1. #661
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    35,872
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    The under the radar middle infield spec that i'm most excited about is Maikel Escotto. He's not staateside this yr because of no MILB but he was the Yanks DSL player of the year as a 16 yr old. he's a right up about him from Phoba/BBD
    5-foot-11, 180-pounds, SS, RHB, 18-years-old – Escotto is another tool shed who could develop into a monster. He has plus power for a shortstop, hit-ability with athletic explosiveness. Escotto is an exit velocity darling which has garnered him attention from fangraphs as an already top prospect despite not making it stateside yet. He also has above average speed. He made quite the impression in the DSL, hitting .315/.429/.552/.981 with 11 doubles, four triples, and eight homeruns in 45 games while stealing 13 bases. He has the skills to rocket to the top of this list with a big season in 2021. He's had exit velo's of 110+ during his 16yr old season
    IMO this kid has all the tools to be a monster for us
    I am seriously tired of projected and true exit velocity/ launch angle. It's destroying young hitters.

    Hit the ball. Hit with solid contact. How gives a rat's arse if you hit a hard line drive the opposite way that is 75mph or 95 mph, if it earns you a single or double. Who cares if it is a Homerun that is 85 or 100.


    I think much like pitchers throwing high speeds looking at their velocity an d desire to throw order, has ruined tons of pitchers because instead of learning to pitch, you learn to throw, hitters will suffer a similar fate. It won't be through injury but it will timing.



    Ignorance is bliss

  2. #662
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I am seriously tired of projected and true exit velocity/ launch angle. It's destroying young hitters.

    Hit the ball. Hit with solid contact. How gives a rat's arse if you hit a hard line drive the opposite way that is 75mph or 95 mph, if it earns you a single or double. Who cares if it is a Homerun that is 85 or 100.


    I think much like pitchers throwing high speeds looking at their velocity an d desire to throw order, has ruined tons of pitchers because instead of learning to pitch, you learn to throw, hitters will suffer a similar fate. It won't be through injury but it will timing.
    Double edge sword clown. On one hand much of the modern tech and advanced metrics have offered young players tools they haven't had in past. They give info and insight never before seen. On the other hand, they give info never before seen! The focus tends to stray from fundamental BB technique. Players become inundated with info. The focus while relevant in a larger frame, imo may be misguided at a fundamental level.

    A seasoned player like Cole, Trout, Yelich et al, might be able to integrate the info better and at a different level because they already have a frame to hang it on. Young players become overwhelmed, loose focus and tend to forget about the basics that got them to the bigs. Cole loves data, tech and any advanced stat that paints a clear pic and improves his game. He can integrate and knows how to use the info.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  3. #663
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    8,868
    ^ 100%

  4. #664
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    35,872
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Double edge sword clown. On one hand much of the modern tech and advanced metrics have offered young players tools they haven't had in past. They give info and insight never before seen. On the other hand, they give info never before seen! The focus tends to stray from fundamental BB technique. Players become inundated with info. The focus while relevant in a larger frame, imo may be misguided at a fundamental level.

    A seasoned player like Cole, Trout, Yelich et al, might be able to integrate the info better and at a different level because they already have a frame to hang it on. Young players become overwhelmed, loose focus and tend to forget about the basics that got them to the bigs. Cole loves data, tech and any advanced stat that paints a clear pic and improves his game. He can integrate and knows how to use the info.
    100%

    You have a guy like Yelich who has been successful and then has a slump of sorts, he can look at and see what he changed and figure out how to get back to it or see what needs to change and how to get there. It's small adjustments from a solid foundation.

    The other is building a house without a full foundation. If it falls, it's toast.



    Ignorance is bliss

  5. #665
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I am seriously tired of projected and true exit velocity/ launch angle. It's destroying young hitters.

    Hit the ball. Hit with solid contact. How gives a rat's arse if you hit a hard line drive the opposite way that is 75mph or 95 mph, if it earns you a single or double. Who cares if it is a Homerun that is 85 or 100.


    I think much like pitchers throwing high speeds looking at their velocity an d desire to throw order, has ruined tons of pitchers because instead of learning to pitch, you learn to throw, hitters will suffer a similar fate. It won't be through injury but it will timing.
    I agree it's bad for the players. First of all instead of playing a game it becomes even more business-like. I get it, it's a business... but I like to watch players having fun, not rushing into the dugout to watch video of their last at bat or last inning. It has to be so much more stressful. Moreover, kids who don't hit on the metrics will get overlooked. I am not a fan of it overall.

    For evaluators though, holy cow what a great tool. The days of simply relying on "the eye test" are over. The eye test still matters but now they have so much data. Like it or not, Escotto having a 115 m.p.h. exit velocity does make him a more exciting player, just like a player who runs the 40 in under 4 seconds is exciting (and scouts always used that "metric" to evaluate talent).

    I'm a baseball purist for sure. I enjoy watching the game be played and I like old school baseball. If the information is out there though, I'm gonna use it and it will affect the way I view players.

  6. #666
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    100%

    You have a guy like Yelich who has been successful and then has a slump of sorts, he can look at and see what he changed and figure out how to get back to it or see what needs to change and how to get there. It's small adjustments from a solid foundation.

    The other is building a house without a full foundation. If it falls, it's toast.
    That's one way to look at it... but you could also look at it a different way. It might be better to teach them younger while they are more pliable. It's probably easier for a younger guy to make sense of all of this technology. Also, the more they have used it coming up the more comfortable they will be with it when they reach the show. It could be like any skill, the more you practice it the better you are with it.

    I do hear what you are saying though. When you inundate someone with information you can overwhelm them. You have to be able to give them bits and pieces a little bit at a time, and be able to put it into terms they understand. Thats why Sam Briend is seen as a whiz. I remember when I was in medical school at the beginning of the semester they slap this huge syllabus in front of you with an unbelievable amount of information in it. It was extremely overwhelming to the point where some people quit on the first day of school. It's the professors' jobs to then piece by piece teach you about that info and put it into terms you can understand.

    Anyway, that's my analogy and it could be wrong or right. At this point its just a theory but overall analytics seem to be helping talented players become better.

  7. #667
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    35,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    I agree it's bad for the players. First of all instead of playing a game it becomes even more business-like. I get it, it's a business... but I like to watch players having fun, not rushing into the dugout to watch video of their last at bat or last inning. It has to be so much more stressful. Moreover, kids who don't hit on the metrics will get overlooked. I am not a fan of it overall.

    For evaluators though, holy cow what a great tool. The days of simply relying on "the eye test" are over. The eye test still matters but now they have so much data. Like it or not, Escotto having a 115 m.p.h. exit velocity does make him a more exciting player, just like a player who runs the 40 in under 4 seconds is exciting (and scouts always used that "metric" to evaluate talent).

    I'm a baseball purist for sure. I enjoy watching the game be played and I like old school baseball. If the information is out there though, I'm gonna use it and it will affect the way I view players.
    Absolutely.

    I think the 40, time is a great analogy, because more frequently than not, players brought in for their 40 time, don't pan out and teams miss out on great players who just know how to play. Also, football has "game speed" or game strength" or "game intelligence" There are. many guys who have great numbers but they have focused on those things so much or were able to get by because of them and never learned how to play or learned how to improve.

    I think things like exit velocity are good for a person watching and deciding on a player and whether or not to sign/draft them. I do think it has value to any player trying to learn how to improve but you need that root first.

    The Launch angle crack me up. Because how often do you hear commentators talking about how that uppercut, makes it impossible to hit the high fast ball? All I can think is "top hand, hit down". I am willing to bet after a few years of this trend, we start seeing more Sheffield style hitters. Chopping wood and getting backspin on the ball



    Ignorance is bliss

  8. #668
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,060
    Yankees Magazine: Ready for Liftoff
    Fans expect Jasson Dominguez to rocket toward the big leagues, but ‘The Martian’ has a long journey ahead of him

    By Jon Schwartz
    August 11, 2020

    It would be poetic, but also unfortunately something of a lie, to say that the first thing you notice about Jasson Dominguez is the line of braces across his toothy grin. Your eyes actually go to his shoulders, somehow wider and broader every time you blink. Then to his biceps, which all but tear through his too-small large shirt. You look at his body, and you see a guy who has never once skipped arm day, whose thighs are as big as midsize sedans.

    There’s interesting and there’s remarkable, and Dominguez’s physique is certainly the latter.

    https://www.mlb.com/news/jasson-domi...dy-for-liftoff
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  9. #669
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    35,872
    John Schwartz with a bit of homoeroticism



    Ignorance is bliss

  10. #670
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    8,868
    3 new Dominguez videos https://www.instagram.com/p/CDz8znYl...ource=ig_embed

    That kid is built like a monster, especially for a 17yr old. He has a very solid and pretty LHed swing, might be better than his RHed swing. Besides the exit velo they show you can tell their is an absolute ton of strength and power in that swing. The most surprising to me was how fast he is, he really started digging a couple steps out of the box and got to 1st FAST.

    I think the most disappointing thing about this yr for me BB wise is that we didn't get to see how Dominguez played stateside. Alot of scouts thought he had a chance to reach high A this yr. Hopefully losing this yrs live game experience stateside won't set him back to far. Baseball America is predicting he'll be our starting CFer when he's 20

    With Dominguez and Hopefully Roderick Arias we could have to generational talents on our hands. Arod/Griffey 2.0, atleast we can dream they end up anywhere close to that good

  11. #671
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    4,236
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    3 new Dominguez videos https://www.instagram.com/p/CDz8znYl...ource=ig_embed

    That kid is built like a monster, especially for a 17yr old. He has a very solid and pretty LHed swing, might be better than his RHed swing. Besides the exit velo they show you can tell their is an absolute ton of strength and power in that swing. The most surprising to me was how fast he is, he really started digging a couple steps out of the box and got to 1st FAST.

    I think the most disappointing thing about this yr for me BB wise is that we didn't get to see how Dominguez played stateside. Alot of scouts thought he had a chance to reach high A this yr. Hopefully losing this yrs live game experience stateside won't set him back to far. Baseball America is predicting he'll be our starting CFer when he's 20

    With Dominguez and Hopefully Roderick Arias we could have to generational talents on our hands. Arod/Griffey 2.0, atleast we can dream they end up anywhere close to that good
    Get back to me when he has a couple of seasons in the minors under his belt

  12. #672
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    8,868
    Why not be excited by the kid scouts are saying is the best IFA talent since Miggy Cabrera

  13. #673
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    37,265
    Pretty sure the kid is roided out of his mind. Or he's actually 26, not 16.

  14. #674
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    8,868
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Pretty sure the kid is roided out of his mind. Or he's actually 26, not 16.
    If you look at his picture from when he signed at 16 to what he looks like now at 17 the difference is pretty drastic. Only other guy i've ever seen that was built and could move like that at 17 was Bo Jackson. If Dominguez was supposed to be 195 when he signed, he's gotta be 220+ now.

    I hope and it would be amazing if it was natural like Bo but i'd be shocked if the kid could pass a wiz quiz

  15. #675
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    4,236

    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Why not be excited by the kid scouts are saying is the best IFA talent since Miggy Cabrera
    Oh I dunno maybe because he hasn’t even played one inning of minor league baseball yet? I never said he stinks or has no talent . I just find it very hard to get excited about a 17 year old who hasn’t played any minor league baseball
    Last edited by Posada20; 08-18-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •