Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 88 of 94 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1402
  1. #1306
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    Unless you think Mike Ford is the long term solution, a left handed first base bat is an organizational need. Whatever Wells turns into, if he can hit the Yankees will most likely be able to find a way to get him in the lineup without having to DH him. If they can't, there are plenty of other ways to extract his value.

    If he is good enough to play in the majors, the Yankees will get value out of him, whether it's finding him a position and getting him at bats there, trading someone to make room for him, or trading him for a position of need or other prospects. Worrying about where the team will place a guy who was just drafted is a fool's errand. You draft the best player available and figure out the rest later, unless your organization has an overwhelming surplus of talent at a given position. The Yankees do not have such a surplus at any of the potential positions Austin Wells might end up playing.

    To make a long story short, saying this is a "problem" is incorrect. It would be fantastic if he's good enough to force the Yankees to make major league decisions based on him.
    Um did you not see where I said that 1b was not filled long term ?? That is why I said that if he doesn’t work out as a catcher he could go to 1b . And the outfield is pretty crowded long term with Frazier just being brought up , judge at right field likely getting extended by the Yankees , hicks being around for atleast another three years and then there is tauchman . And then there there is Dominguez as well in about 2 years . And as for the infield you got urshela and as of now andujar . Dj is at second for the next 5 years too. And Stanton is the dh for the next 7 years Too . yes saying it is a problem is correct because other than catcher and 1b , you would likely have to move a player with a better glove just to make room for an unproven prospect all because said prospect has a great bat . And I never said it was a mistake to have drafted him or anyone . Just noted that they keep bringing up players that are more bat than glove . And btw I wasn’t the one who brought up where wells would play or how they would make room fo him. I was simply responding to others who did .
    Last edited by Posada20; 03-01-2021 at 09:45 PM.

  2. #1307
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    10,043
    I get it were supposed to stop drafting and developing players if the position is filled long term..

    Wells just got drafted last yr, no matter how good his bat is this spring he's not going to make the team. We're putting the cart before the donkey so to speak worrying about what Wells possible effect would be on the MLB roster. They are going to give Wells every chance to stick behind the plate and with his defense being a project, its highly unlikely well see Well for atleast 2 yrs

    If the kid can hit at an elite level its a great problem for the Yanks to have. He's extremely athletic and has experience at both LF and 1st base, so if he can really hit they find a way to get value from him either on ours or from another team. Either way it would be a great problem for the Yanks to have .

    IMO he been by far one of the Yanks best picks, especially of 1st rounders, in a couple drafts. Considering they drafted Volpe in the 1st round the previous yr, Wells was a much, much better pick

  3. #1308
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    2,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Um did you not see where I said that 1b was not filled long term ?? That is why I said that if he doesn’t work out as a catcher he could go to 1b . And the outfield is pretty crowded long term with Frazier just being brought up , judge at right field likely getting extended by the Yankees , hicks being around for atleast another three years and then there is tauchman . And then there there is Dominguez as well in about 2 years . And as for the infield you got urshela and as of now andujar . Dj is at second for the next 5 years too. And Stanton is the dh for the next 7 years Too . yes saying it is a problem is correct because other than catcher and 1b , you would likely have to move a player with a better glove just to make room for an unproven prospect all because said prospect has a great bat . And I never said it was a mistake to have drafted him or anyone . Just noted that they keep bringing up players that are more bat than glove . And btw I wasn’t the one who brought up where wells would play or how they would make room fo him. I was simply responding to others who did .
    Hey dude, I only quoted your post because you were the most recent to say it, and therefore it was the most convenient to respond to. Had nothing to do with you personally. My responses were to everyone who shares your viewpoint, not just you.

    As for the first basement argument. I agree with you on that. My post reiterated what you said, it did not argue against it. The you in "if you think Mike Ford is the first basemen of the future" was referring to "you" as whomever might believe that. To reinforce what I wrote previously, just because I quoted your post does not mean I am speaking directly and personally to you.

    Since that is out of the way, I now want to respond to something you said above, which contains a large amount of assumptions. I have bolded the part I am speaking about. Firstly, Jasson Dominguez is not a guarantee. To presume that he will be ready in two years is the mother of all assumptions. Cannot bank on him, or any other prospect for that matter.

    Then there's the part where you say the following "other than catcher and 1b , you would likely have to move a player with a better glove just to make room for an unproven prospect all because said prospect has a great bat"

    The assumptions here are many. You are assuming that the players you mentioned will have the same fielding ability they have now in 3-4 years when (if all goes extremely well) Wells could be ready. You are also assuming Wells will not improve on his defense at all. You are also assuming that Wells' defense will not be better than any of these players without ever having seen him play live. Additionally, you are assuming that the Yankees would trade players with better defense and bring up the player who can hit without consideration of the whole player. I would imagine they would not move a player who is superior to Wells. I cannot recall a time when the Yankees have ever done that in the past. I doubt they will in the future.

    If he is truly a better player overall (defense and offense both being considered), they might move a proven player for him. If he is not the better player overall, he can be included in a trade package that will bring in a player at a position of need. All of this assumes that Wells is ever going to be good enough to be considered for any of that.

    We are all on the same side here. We all hope Wells becomes a star (I hope), or at least a top prospect. If he does, there is no possible way that could be a bad thing for the Yankees. So, yet again, I will reiterate, to suggest that Austin Wells could be a "problem" if he is in the situation where he is knocking on the door to the majors and potentially displacing one of our regulars is incorrect and I strongly disagree.

    Posada, this is not personal, it is a discussion. It is OK for us to disagree. Nothing personal against you. I like you.

  4. #1309
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    Hey dude, I only quoted your post because you were the most recent to say it, and therefore it was the most convenient to respond to. Had nothing to do with you personally. My responses were to everyone who shares your viewpoint, not just you.

    As for the first basement argument. I agree with you on that. My post reiterated what you said, it did not argue against it. The you in "if you think Mike Ford is the first basemen of the future" was referring to "you" as whomever might believe that. To reinforce what I wrote previously, just because I quoted your post does not mean I am speaking directly and personally to you.

    Since that is out of the way, I now want to respond to something you said above, which contains a large amount of assumptions. I have bolded the part I am speaking about. Firstly, Jasson Dominguez is not a guarantee. To presume that he will be ready in two years is the mother of all assumptions. Cannot bank on him, or any other prospect for that matter.

    Then there's the part where you say the following "other than catcher and 1b , you would likely have to move a player with a better glove just to make room for an unproven prospect all because said prospect has a great bat"

    The assumptions here are many. You are assuming that the players you mentioned will have the same fielding ability they have now in 3-4 years when (if all goes extremely well) Wells could be ready. You are also assuming Wells will not improve on his defense at all. You are also assuming that Wells' defense will not be better than any of these players without ever having seen him play live. Additionally, you are assuming that the Yankees would trade players with better defense and bring up the player who can hit without consideration of the whole player. I would imagine they would not move a player who is superior to Wells. I cannot recall a time when the Yankees have ever done that in the past. I doubt they will in the future.

    If he is truly a better player overall (defense and offense both being considered), they might move a proven player for him. If he is not the better player overall, he can be included in a trade package that will bring in a player at a position of need. All of this assumes that Wells is ever going to be good enough to be considered for any of that.

    We are all on the same side here. We all hope Wells becomes a star (I hope), or at least a top prospect. If he does, there is no possible way that could be a bad thing for the Yankees. So, yet again, I will reiterate, to suggest that Austin Wells could be a "problem" if he is in the situation where he is knocking on the door to the majors and potentially displacing one of our regulars is incorrect and I strongly disagree.

    Posada, this is not personal, it is a discussion. It is OK for us to disagree. Nothing personal against you. I like you.
    The reason I responded to you was because the responses from dayners and kinko made it seem like it was only towards me and I wanted to make it clear that it wasn’t only me that ,posted that way about wells . Thank you for the clarification . I apologize if I made it seem like I was trying to fight I truly wasn’t .

  5. #1310
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,486
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I'm screwed then since he seems to have a comment for every post unless you tell the truth and call him a troll
    The truth is, a troll is not a troll in the troll's eyes because they have a different set of truths. Remember, trolls are not known for intelligence, so they don't know when they are making foolish comments or lying. They are not self aware, so self reflection is very difficult and they don't see themselves as Trolls, they see everything around them as Trolls, that is likely because they are territorial. They attempt to take ownership for things that are not theirs and dig in their heels, to torment all creatures attempting to peacefully pass. They become angry, cranky and irrational when confronted regarding their false claims to the ground on. which they stand.
    Unfortunately, as we have seen repeatedly in movies and books, the only way to stop a troll, is if they are properly disposed.

    So I can call a troll a troll but it doesn't matter because the troll either knows he is and is happy being a twat or he doesn't know and lacks the capacity to understand and change.



    Ignorance is bliss

  6. #1311
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,486
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I get it were supposed to stop drafting and developing players if the position is filled long term..

    Wells just got drafted last yr, no matter how good his bat is this spring he's not going to make the team. We're putting the cart before the donkey so to speak worrying about what Wells possible effect would be on the MLB roster. They are going to give Wells every chance to stick behind the plate and with his defense being a project, its highly unlikely well see Well for atleast 2 yrs

    If the kid can hit at an elite level its a great problem for the Yanks to have. He's extremely athletic and has experience at both LF and 1st base, so if he can really hit they find a way to get value from him either on ours or from another team. Either way it would be a great problem for the Yanks to have .

    IMO he been by far one of the Yanks best picks, especially of 1st rounders, in a couple drafts. Considering they drafted Volpe in the 1st round the previous yr, Wells was a much, much better pick
    The problem is when there are players who are excellent defensively and have a decent bat, the general complaints change to that aspect. Great, we have a guy that plays great D but only hits 240.

    Player development is difficult. Players are chosen because of a skill set and the belief that, that set can carry them forward with the hope that other skills can be developed.
    They draft a kid who can easily throw 98-101 mph, for 100 pitches. His slider and changeup are meh or stink. They draft him hoping they can teach him the other pitches- hence the term development

    Peraza- great glove, great speed and he could probably start at the MLB level based on his d and speed. his bat needs work. If they and here's that word, develop that aspect of his game, he becomes at worst and everyday player at the next level

    Dominguez- Has all the tools. My guess? As a defensive player he could start. He has the glove, the range and the arm. As a hitter? He has the bat but not the consistency or knowledge how to use it at the next level. He needs to develop all of his skills.
    Then there is specific development
    Florial- He can field, throw, run and hit the hell out of the ball... when he hits it. He needs to have better pitch recognition, we might call this aspect of development, "refinement" and it's arguably the most difficult aspect of development, because everything is there. If he can learn that very tricky aspect, he becomes a potential star. That aspect may be easy for another player but they have no pop and can't drive the ball. Tyler Wade- In AA and AAA, he was a really tough K. he always got the bat on the ball because he has some element of recognition and could wait. The problem is, when he makes decent contact, the ball rolls to the second baseman. When Florial makes decent contact, it jumps off the bat, so if Florial had the refinement of Wade?
    Abreu- needs command. That's refinement

    Players are developed to their potential and then refinement, that last aspect, is what separates them and makes them AAAA or long term MLB players.



    Ignorance is bliss

  7. #1312
    OhSoSlick's Avatar
    OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    36,090
    Alternate, developmental sites to return for MLB teams in 2021, as Triple-A season gets delayed by at least one month, league says


    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...mpression=true

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

    I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

  8. #1313
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    The problem is when there are players who are excellent defensively and have a decent bat, the general complaints change to that aspect. Great, we have a guy that plays great D but only hits 240.

    Player development is difficult. Players are chosen because of a skill set and the belief that, that set can carry them forward with the hope that other skills can be developed.
    They draft a kid who can easily throw 98-101 mph, for 100 pitches. His slider and changeup are meh or stink. They draft him hoping they can teach him the other pitches- hence the term development

    Peraza- great glove, great speed and he could probably start at the MLB level based on his d and speed. his bat needs work. If they and here's that word, develop that aspect of his game, he becomes at worst and everyday player at the next level

    Dominguez- Has all the tools. My guess? As a defensive player he could start. He has the glove, the range and the arm. As a hitter? He has the bat but not the consistency or knowledge how to use it at the next level. He needs to develop all of his skills.
    Then there is specific development
    Florial- He can field, throw, run and hit the hell out of the ball... when he hits it. He needs to have better pitch recognition, we might call this aspect of development, "refinement" and it's arguably the most difficult aspect of development, because everything is there. If he can learn that very tricky aspect, he becomes a potential star. That aspect may be easy for another player but they have no pop and can't drive the ball. Tyler Wade- In AA and AAA, he was a really tough K. he always got the bat on the ball because he has some element of recognition and could wait. The problem is, when he makes decent contact, the ball rolls to the second baseman. When Florial makes decent contact, it jumps off the bat, so if Florial had the refinement of Wade?
    Abreu- needs command. That's refinement

    Players are developed to their potential and then refinement, that last aspect, is what separates them and makes them AAAA or long term MLB players.
    Clown I generally agree with all written. However the primary difference in the move from AAA to ML is the pitching. Agree, pitch recognition is a key element, but ML pitch recognition is another level and giant step for many hitters. I like Florial and hope he has a future in the game, I haven't seen him take that giant step. He has tools no question, he must prove he can hit ML pitching consistently.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  9. #1314
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,486
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Clown I generally agree with all written. However the primary difference in the move from AAA to ML is the pitching. Agree, pitch recognition is a key element, but ML pitch recognition is another level and giant step for many hitters. I like Florial and hope he has a future in the game, I haven't seen him take that giant step. He has tools no question, he must prove he can hit ML pitching consistently.
    Absolutely!! If I was not clear, my point was that Wade did have good pitch recognition in AAA. He was a tough out and that's what got him to the bigs. He has not had the same success because he lacks another aspect of hitting, hard hit balls. He was able to make solid contact in AAA but not the same at the next level. If you combined his recognition with Florial's pop, you have a very good MLB player

    Florial has not shown the recognition at the AAA level. That refinement is the difference in his being in the bigs for at least a chance or stuck in AAA. Hence he has developed and the organization has helped him do so but now, he's at the end of the road. All these players are developed but we don't know how much or how far they will go until they have been developed to a decent extent.



    Ignorance is bliss

  10. #1315
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,102
    Oswald Peraza has Yankees’ ‘excited’ over future at shortstop
    By Dan Martin March 3, 2021 | 12:00am

    SARASOTA, Fla. — Oswald Peraza doesn’t turn 21 until June and is the youngest player at Yankees camp.

    As Aaron Boone said Tuesday, the shortstop is “a ways away” from the majors, but the manager called the 2016 signee “a good-looking player on both sides of the ball [with a] very bright future.”

    https://nypost.com/2021/03/03/yankee...site%20buttons
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  11. #1316
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    24,459
    It sucks there was no minor league season in 2020. I do wonder how much that missed time will hinder these guys development. Excited for this season as there are a lot of lower level IFAs that could take a big jump forward. If a few guys take that leap then this system will be ranked right back towards the top which means plenty of trade assets.

  12. #1317
    OhSoSlick's Avatar
    OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A Firehouse
    Posts
    36,090
    Expected minor league roster sizes by affiliate level:

    AAA: 28
    AA: 28
    A+: 30
    A: 30

    - Expanded sizes aim to decrease player travel.

    - Yankees minor leaguers were given some info on what season might look like.

    - AAA season begins May 4 and will serve as the alternate site for April.

    - Will have 28-man roster.

    - Will have stricter protocols than lower-level affiliates.

    - Can only join MLB from alt site.

    Expected that clubs will be allowed to hold exhibition games at alternate sites in April, against other clubs' alternate sites. They can schedule these on their own. Likely to be against teams within driving distance/with players driving themselves, etc. MLB handles umpiring.




    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by OhSoSlick; 03-03-2021 at 10:44 PM.
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

    I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

  13. #1318
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    10,043
    Was listening to an NYY Recaps podcast on the state of our farm system. The hosts were saying that we brought in a 3-4 more pitching development guys from Driveline Academy to help in the development of all our young arms.

    They certainly have the clay to make some incredible pitchers, lets just hope all these pitching/ developmental coaches that they have brought in from these places like Driveline will do a much better job than their predecessors

    Hopefully they can develop a nice little pipeline out of the group of pitchers we already have. Our ORG is already known for adding velo to our pitchers after we get them. Hopefully we can get a rep for developing and getting the most out of our pitching talent like Tampa, LAD, Cleveland are know for
    Last edited by dayners81; 03-04-2021 at 05:48 PM.

  14. #1319
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,925
    I really hope those guys help with the young pitchers too. But in the end it will be up to the players they have to work with

  15. #1320
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    2,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    I really hope those guys help with the young pitchers too. But in the end it will be up to the players they have to work with
    I agree. The players have to embrace what they are taught even if they are talented. Also, not everyone is talented enough that if they do embrace it, they can pull it off. The hope is you can find enough guys who are able to do both.

Page 88 of 94 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •