Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 74 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1269
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Who do you think are true aces because if you go through and make a list I'm not sure you even come up with that many?
    Not many:
    Cole, deGrom, Scherzer, Verlander. Kershaw
    Last edited by drt1010; 01-15-2021 at 08:13 PM.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

second tier very close:

Thor, Bumgarner, Sale
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Who do you think are true aces because if you go through and make a list I'm not sure you even come up with that many?
    Now that you say that your absolutely right

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    second tier very close:

Thor, Bumgarner, Sale
    even though he doesn't have the longest track record I think Bieber is in that 2nd tier also. i would consider Buehler? Greinke? Nola? Stras? Snell? Darvish? Giolito ? in that 2nd tier also. TORP for sure but not quite aces. IMO if u put Thor on there with his injury history Sevy's gotta be in a similar group as him ? Castillio is probably in that 2nd tier also no? Hendricks ? Corbin? Gray? i don't know

it isn't a very long list

I think you're exactly right with your top 5

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post

even though he doesn't have the longest track record I think Bieber is in that 2nd tier also. i would consider Buehler? Greinke? Nola? Stras? Snell? Darvish? Giolito ? in that 2nd tier also. TORP for sure but not quite aces. IMO if u put Thor on there with his injury history Sevy's gotta be in a similar group as him ? Castillio is probably in that 2nd tier also no? Hendricks ? Corbin? Gray? i don't know

You' re absolutely right. The list could get longer. When I thought true ace those are the guys who came to mind.

Kluber is a two time Cy Young winner could he be on the list? For 2021 let's hope so!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang

I like your list and would add Bieber

Ignorance is bliss

Severino is definitely in the second tier and I’m hoping by end of 2022 will be in the first.
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

Aces right now? To me you need to have 3 full seasons or 2 and half at least of great success (I would count 2020 as a half season and the numbers in 2020 are not that important to me because of the special nature of this year).
    And of course to be healthy.

That's why the only aces today are (in my humble opinion of course): Cole, DeGrom, Scherzer, Buehler, Flaherty, Strasburg, Kershaw, Morton and Hendricks.

Next in Line and who can be added if they have a solid 2021: Shane Bieber, Trevor Bauer, Hyun-jin Ryu, Lance Lynn, Mike Soroka, Sonny Gray, Aaron Nola, Noah Syndergaard, Blake Snell, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Carrasco, Kenta Maeda, Yu Darvish, Max Fried, Brandon Woodruff, Chris Paddack, Sandy Alcantara, Luis Castillo, Zack Wheeler, Zach Plesac, Lucas Giolito, Zack Greinke and Dallas Keuchel.

Those who need to bounce back maybe not just in 2021 but beyond: Corbin, Severino, Sale, Verlander, Ohtani, Kluber and Clevinger.
    Last edited by ShinobiNYC; 01-16-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Exactly, when you actually go through and look it isn't a long list at all. That is why when people complain about the Yanks not getting TORP they don't realize there aren't many to begin with and even less that are actually available for trade.

Sale is getting older and coming off a lot of missed time, Thor has been hurt a lot and hasn't pitched like a TORP in years. Bumgarner looks completely washed now. I'd say Bieber and Buehler are up there and all the other guys have had ups and downs. That is why I say it is insane how people underrate Severino on this forum. People act like he sucks from a small sample size of playoff games. When you actually compare his numbers to others around the league, he is one of the best.
    Last edited by EAGLES3658; 01-16-2021 at 06:59 PM.

I would consider Castillo the best pitcher on the trade market right now, and definitely a TORP but not a "true ace." He was 18th and 19th in the league in ERA in 2019 and 2020 respectively. He was 13th and 12th in strikeouts in 2019 and 2020 respectively. From an ERA perspective, there are 11 teams he would be an ace on. With his ability to strike guys out though, some might think there is more in the tank and perhaps a guy like Matt Blake could take him to the next level. Based on what is available, Castillo would be a hell of an addition to this rotation and would make them immediately top 3 in the league IMO. Cole, Castillo, Klubot, Severino, and either Montgomery or German at #5. That's one hell of a rotation.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

Eagles, I absolutely agree with how difficult it is to acquire a true ace/1 starter, the first 2 tiers we have been talking about.
    That same reason I am so reluctant to trade guys like Roansy, Medina and Gil when they have that kind of ceiling/ talent and aren't yrs away. We haven't,IMO, had multiple pitchers with their combo of talent,ceiling and proximity to the MLB in atleast the last 10 plus yrs. We also brought in Blake and that guy they hired as their director of pitching development largely because of their success developing young pitchers

With as badly as we need a couple of long term rotation pieces and with those 3 having elite talent, I would love to give them a chance to finish developing those guys

@ Phoba, I agree with your assessment of Castillo, not an ace yet but definitely best pitcher available. Of all the pitchers that are or have been available this winter he would be my top choice.

When Sevy gets back if he and Klubot could return anywhere close to previous form that would give us an unbelievable rotation. It would suck to lose Clint but adding Brantley would give us that quality LH bat we need in that lineup

The problem with exceeding the luxury tax is the loss of draft pick status and even more importantly, the loss of international drafting money. I think there's some Draconion rule that was put in where if they exceed the highest cap and then don't reset, they lose most of the money. Last year, their payroll was a prorated $265 million, so I don't know whether that factors in to the equation. If it is true that the yankees are the top bet to get the SS (Arias?) who is supposed to be the next Lindor, then they might not want to lose their ability to draft him in order to sign Tanaka or Paxton or take on Carrasco's salary.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    The problem with exceeding the luxury tax is the loss of draft pick status and even more importantly, the loss of international drafting money. I think there's some Draconion rule that was put in where if they exceed the highest cap and then don't reset, they lose most of the money. Last year, their payroll was a prorated $265 million, so I don't know whether that factors in to the equation. If it is true that the yankees are the top bet to get the SS (Arias?) who is supposed to be the next Lindor, then they might not want to lose their ability to draft him in order to sign Tanaka or Paxton or take on Carrasco's salary.
    Arias is an IFA from the J2 2021 class, going over the cap shouldn't effect their ability to get him

Eagles, I absolutely agree with how difficult it is to acquire a true ace/1 starter, the first 2 tiers we have been talking about.
    That same reason I am so reluctant to trade guys like Roansy, Medina and Gil when they have that kind of ceiling/ talent and aren't yrs away. We haven't,IMO, had multiple pitchers with their combo of talent,ceiling and proximity to the MLB in atleast the last 10 plus yrs. We also brought in Blake and that guy they hired as their director of pitching development largely because of their success developing young pitchers

With as badly as we need a couple of long term rotation pieces and with those 3 having elite talent, I would love to give them a chance to finish developing those guys

@ Phoba, I agree with your assessment of Castillo, not an ace yet but definitely best pitcher available. Of all the pitchers that are or have been available this winter he would be my top choice.

When Sevy gets back if he and Klubot could return anywhere close to previous form that would give us an unbelievable rotation. It would suck to lose Clint but adding Brantley would give us that quality LH bat we need in that lineup
    While I agree it is the first time they have had this type of pitching upside in a while, I think they need to pick and choose who they think is worth keeping and who isn't. At the end of the day they will be lucky if one of Medina, Clark, Garcia, Contreras, Gil, etc reach their ceiling. I wouldn't hesitate to trade a few with their win now window still open. Especially since even if they trade a couple they will still have quite a bit of depth.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Yankees have 3 of Baseball America’s Top 100 Prospects

33 Jason Dominguez
    55 Deivi Garcia
    64 Clarke Schmidt

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    Yankees have 3 of Baseball America’s Top 100 Prospects

33 Jason Dominguez
    55 Deivi Garcia
    64 Clarke Schmidt

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Sure would have been interesting to see where some of our other guys would have landed had they played last yr.

Just my opinion but it seems like it would be extremely difficult to accurately assess talent when most specs haven't been see in over a yr.

Kinda surprising Medina didn't make that list with how dominate he was in winter ball

Page 74 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast