Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cashman's performance the last 5yrs

This article details the last few yrs in FA and trades that Cashman has or hasn't made the last couple yrs https://www.pinstripealley.com/2021/...-mets-lemahieu
    How much do you guys fault or praise Cashman for whats going on with us now? The last 5yrs? How much is on Hal? does anyone else think its time for a new voice ?

Article says pretty much what I have been saying about cashman . His prospect hugging is hurting the Yankees more than it is helping . The blame for this bad off season so far is mostly on cashman . Because while hal is keeping cashman from going after big free agents , it is cashman that is not doing any trades at all since 2019. I seriously think it is time for a new GM , one that has the fortitude to make big trades . Combine cashman’s inflexibility with Hal’s budget constraints and you get an off season like this one
    Last edited by Posada20; 01-13-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Imo there is enough blame to go around. I will restrict my comments to more recent history.

Hal should be praised for always managing to keep the Yankees payroll at or near the top in MLB. Always trying to put a competitive product on the field. However he is also responsible for ushering in the austerity plan and the quest to get under the salary cap. That in itself prevented the Yankees from even making an offer for Verlander in 2017-18. We will never know what Verlander may have done for Yankees, however one can assume had he performed for Yanks as he had for Houston they may be another ring or two in their showcase.

Cashman has made smart moves and also colossal blunders. He traded for Urshela and Torres, signed LeMahieu, drafted Judge and helped rebuild the farm system. The biggest blunder was not giving up Frazier and Andujar for Cole back in 2017. Not even sitting down and discussing Lindor and Carrasco is a close second. You could add the paltry offer for Corbin to the list, he pointed the finger at Hal and the budgetary constraint. The jury is still out on the Stanton deal, but it appears the contract hamstrung them this off season.
    Last edited by drt1010; 01-13-2021 at 10:11 PM.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Article says pretty much what I have been saying about cashman . His prospect hugging is hurting the Yankees more than it is helping . The blame for this bad off season so far is mostly on cashman . Because while hal is keeping cashman from going after big free agents , it is cashman that is not doing any trades at all since 2019. I seriously think it is time for a new GM , one that has the fortitude to make big trades .
    You want BIG trades. Who must sign off on the BIG trades? Cashman does not have as much autonomy as you think. He answers to his boss, Hal. All deals must go before Hal and the advisory board.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Imo there is enough blame to go around. I will restrict my comments to more recent history.

Hal should be praised for always managing to keep the Yankees payroll at or near the top in MLB. Always trying to put a competitive product on the field. However he is also responsible for ushering in the austerity plan and the quest to get under the salary cap. That in itself prevented the Yankees from even making an offer for Verlander in 2017-18. We will never know what Verlander may have done for Yankees, however one can assume had he performed for Yanks as he had for Houston they may be another ring or two in their showcase.

Cashman has made smart moves and also colossal blunders. He traded for Urshela and Torres, signed LeMahieu, drafted Judge and helped rebuild the farm system. The biggest blunder was not giving up Frazier and Andujar for Cole back in 2017. Not even sitting down and discussing Lindor and Carrasco is a close second. You could add the paltry offer for Corbin to the list, he pointed the finger at Hal and the budgetary constraint. The jury is still out on the Stanton deal, but it appears the contract hamstrung them this off season.
    I agree there is more than enough blame to go around but Cashman has a list of blunder is the last 5yrs that are pretty significant. Passing on Verlander, Passing on Cole the 1st time, Passing on Corbin in favor of a 37yr old Happ, not trading Andujar straight up for Hader when he had the chance but the Lindor, Carrasco is number 1 for me. I would also say giving Gray away for peanuts was up there as well. If the best offer they could get was a 2nd round pick and a lottery ticket why not wait and trying to fix him atleast till mid season and see if he hadn't improved and gotten better value for him then.

I still think moving on from Joe to Boone was a horrible mistake, which one is that on?

I don't know who's fault but someone missed on Lance Lynn pretty badly as well. He was pretty descent with us they immediately goes to Texas and turns into a TORP? that was probably far more on the pitching coaches than anyone else.

I do place alot of this, especially all the lack of moves, sticking firm to the player evaluation numbers and the lack of urgency to win comes from Hal. Lets faces it if Hal told them to go get whatever its going to take to win, like 09, damn the cost Cashman would give it his best shot. Whether Cashmans best shot anymore would be good enough is questionable IMO. I just have alot of faith either that Cashman is capable of handling big time deals anymore, he's to passive.

We had a championship core that with the right moves could have won multiple WSS titles with the right moves, we haven't succeded with that so far. With only 2 guaranteed yrs left of this core no is the time to go all in like SD,CWS, Braves and Mets are doing. The Al is so wide open this yr, we should be being proactive

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Cashman has made some very good moves. Trading Chapman and Miller were very smart and the haul was great.
    Aside from that, he's been arse.
    DJ- He didn't wan't him and had to be convinced
    Cole- He was removed from the picture for that one, so he had little to nothing to do with it.
    Stanton- All him and it will be worse than Elsbury This team is screwed with Stanton,
    Happ- The first time was a good move. Bringing him back? Meh. he went to the well once to often. I think it was lazy but I get why he did it.
    Boone- Bad

I am fine with holding prospects if they can actually get to the bigs and aren't blocked by guys who are "too big of a name" to trade or have such a stupid contract that they can't be traded.
    The above issue is especially true if that player could have net you a piece that would upgrade.

I think Cashman stinks. I think with the market he runs, he stinks. I think he's trying to be Beane East.

If the Yankees are "All about Championships", Cashman needs to be the same. He clearly has not been.
    He has not done what is needed to upgrade the team and has let them fall behind other teams or come close to falling behind them.
    This roster isn't old yet but it will get old, fast and the 3 big components, Judge, Hicks, Stanton are walking infirmaries.

Gary, who Cashman still believes in, has a long road ahead of him for redemption.
    Torres is at best a decent SS and as of now, Wade is our 2nd basemen, so that all important up the middle D? It is subpar.

So when I look at the current roster, they are weak up the middle and they have no pitching.
    Cashman has done nothing to improve either. But we have guys with great launch angles and exit velocity who can crush the ball and take a walk. When they are actually healthy, of course and when they are on a good streak, of course.

Cashman is responsible for a very poorly constructed roster that consists of all righties, aside from Hicks, 4 of whom are all or nothing.

Again, if that lineup clicks and stays healthy, this team is extremely tough to bet in the regular season and will waltz into the playoffs.
    Also, there could still be moves made that sure up the aspects to which I referred.
    But as of January 14th, 2021, Cashman still stinks.

Ignorance is bliss

You want BIG trades. Who must sign off on the BIG trades? Cashman does not have as much autonomy as you think. He answers to his boss, Hal. All deals must go before Hal and the advisory board.
    The only thing that hal cares about is that the players they get don’t cost too much money . Hal only cares about staying below 210 mill. That’s why they never traded for lindor/ carrasco . That trade would have put them over 210 mill . A different gm would be able to work within those financial constraints and make a trade or two by now . Not let an entire off season be controlled by 1 guy . And I said Hal is to blame as well . But cashman has to shoulder some of the blame as well . He is the GM and it’s the gm that gets fired not the owner . So again it is time for a new gm , 23 years is way to long for one guy to be the Gm

Jorge how would a new GM make a difference? If Hal is holding the line at $210M, how do you spend big AND escape the shackles of restraint Hal has imposed? No team has paid more in luxury tax penalties than the Yankees. They have spent big, from 1994- 2013 they had the highest payroll in MLB, from 2014-2017 they were in the top 2. In 2020 they were back on top.

Imo, Hal may be tired of throwing money at the problems. He's not blind to the fact that recent WS teams (Tampa, KC, Cleveland) have vastly lower payrolls. He watched Boston win and then crumble under the weight of a payroll they couldn't /wouldn't sustain.

We accuse Cashman (rightfully so) of dumpster diving hoping to find a diamond in the rough at bargain prices. He has shown success and failure. The bottom line it is incumbent upon him to find the best deal, put it together and make it work to the Yankees advantage. Ultimately it's his responsibility to find the talent, however the final decisions are made by Hal. As I said above, there is plenty of blame to go around. I can not absolve Hal and his austerity plan from responsibility, nor can I excuse Cashman.

Jorge how would a new GM make a difference? If Hal is holding the line at $210M, how do you spend big AND escape the shackles of restraint Hal has imposed? No team has paid more in luxury tax penalties than the Yankees. They have spent big, from 1994- 2013 they had the highest payroll in MLB, from 2014-2017 they were in the top 2. In 2020 they were back on top.

Imo, Hal may be tired of throwing money at the problems. He's not blind to the fact that recent WS teams (Tampa, KC, Cleveland) have vastly lower payrolls. He watched Boston win and then crumble under the weight of a payroll they couldn't /wouldn't sustain.

We accuse Cashman (rightfully so) of dumpster diving hoping to find a diamond in the rough at bargain prices. He has shown success and failure. The bottom line it is incumbent upon him to find the best deal, put it together and make it work to the Yankees advantage. Ultimately it's his responsibility to find the talent, however the final decisions are made by Hal. As I said above, there is plenty of blame to go around. I can not absolve Hal and his austerity plan from responsibility, nor can I excuse Cashman.
    A new GM would bring a new set of eyes to the situation . Maybe one that knows more about pitching than cashman does . You say cashman shoulders some of the blame but you want to keep giving him 5 year contracts . Tell me how that makes any sense ? I told you why a new GM would be a good idea . Now why don’t do you tell me why it is such a great idea to keep cashman for another 5 years . The Red Sox got a new gm that knows how to work with budget constraints . Why shouldn’t the Yankees do the same ? Give me one good reason why a New GM isnt the way to go ? You say it is incumbent on him to find the best deal , yet he hasn’t even made a deal for a major leaguer in almost 2 years , tell me how that is excusable ? Did Hal tell cashman no more trades until the payroll is under 150 mill?

Jorge, I couldn't care less if they replace Cashman. Maybe a fresh set of eyes would help.

My only point, if Hal is holding the line on payroll you can not expect miracles from a GM. You want them to spend big. Top shelf talent will be costly, how exactly would a new GM manage that any better?

Jorge, I couldn't care less if they replace Cashman. Maybe a fresh set of eyes would help.

My only point, if Hal is holding the line on payroll you can not expect miracles from a GM. You want them to spend big. Top shelf talent will be costly, how exactly would a new GM manage that any better?
    Show me where I wanted them to spend big ? My gripe is that cashman and Hal have done NOTHING this off season but hoard players in the minors . All I have wanted them to do is invest their resources into their biggest weakness and that’s the starting rotation . They have over 30 mill to spend , you can blame hal all you want but a very good GM can do a lot more with that money than keep it held up on one position player especially when the team is in such bad need of starting pitching . And that falls on cashman .

Top shelf pitching is cheap?

I wanted them to at least explore the Lindor / Carrasco deal. It would have added $30M+ to the payroll. A Castillo deal, Kluber, Hendricks, Bauer will all cost, dollars and talent.

If you agree DJ is a priority, where is the payroll flexibility to add $20M+.

If you agree DJ is a priority, where is the payroll flexibility to add $20M+.
    Dj should never have been the priority , the priority should have been the starting rotation behind cole . They need a starting pitcher more than they need dj . They lost in the playoffs the last 4 seasons now because they never had enough starting pitching to win it all , especially last season . I rather they spend that 30 mill on pitching than mostly on dj . That 30 mill could be used on Hendricks and either kluber or Tanaka . They can afford to go with a guy like wade at 2b for one season before they go after a ss next off season like the cashman had claimed .
    Last edited by Posada20; Yesterday at 03:37 PM.

Top shelf pitching is cheap?

I wanted them to at least explore the Lindor / Carrasco deal. It would have added $30M+ to the payroll. A Castillo deal, Kluber, Hendricks, Bauer will all cost, dollars and talent.
    They have way more than enough talent to get Castillo or Hendricks , especially Hendricks . Hendricks is due 14 mill , the Yankees can easily afford to trade for Hendricks and sign kluber for less than the 30 mill they have available .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast