Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 44 of 64 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Even if Paxton only has an average yr and the Yanks let him walk after this yr, they still got the better end of the deal . They also got the better end of the Pineda for Montero deal
    I think this is an incomplete way to evaluate trades. It's not just about players in the deal, it's about players in other prospective deals.

If it's just a comparison of Paxton to Sheffield then we're obviously winning. But could Sheffield have been used in a deal for a different pitcher who would have been better than Paxton? Same with Montero/Pineda.

In both cases, it seemed the Yankees favored giving up "just" Montero/Sheffield for a starter. And as such, they got less back than if they went with one of those guys plus other highly regarded prospects. Would they have been better off using those guys as part of bigger packages for better pitchers as opposed to the more "one for one" swaps they did (realize they weren't LITERALLY one for one but you know what I mean).

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Just read this, and itís from a third party source, I donít belong to Baseball America. Anyway BA has Wells ranked as the Yankees 6th prospect and Way as the Yankees 16th prospect. I think both are a little high right now but Wells can absolutely rake from the left side, but needs to stick at catcher for him to max out his potential. Way has a ton of arm talent, very live arm like Pineda or AJ Burnett but needs to command his stuff better. Actually, if he makes it as a starter, Burnett is a great comp. then BA has Hauver ranked as 28th which I think is a little low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NJBASEBALL22 View Post
    Just read this, and itís from a third party source, I donít belong to Baseball America. Anyway BA has Wells ranked as the Yankees 6th prospect and Way as the Yankees 16th prospect. I think both are a little high right now but Wells can absolutely rake from the left side, but needs to stick at catcher for him to max out his potential. Way has a ton of arm talent, very live arm like Pineda or AJ Burnett but needs to command his stuff better. Actually, if he makes it as a starter, Burnett is a great comp. then BA has Hauver ranked as 28th which I think is a little low.

I definitely think Wells could get to 6th but he's going to have to show he can be atleast average defensively to deserve that ranking. I read a Brian McCann comp for him, do u guys think thats a descent comp for him?

Thats quite a bit high for Way as well IMO. We have tons of legit talent that has proven their abilities in game action already. Way has a long way to go to break into the top 25 with the unbelievable amount of quality depth we have on the farm, especially on the pitching side.

If he ends up close to Burnett even stuff wise that would be impressive and huge for us

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I definitely think Wells could get to 6th but he's going to have to show he can be atleast average defensively to deserve that ranking. I read a Brian McCann comp for him, do u guys think thats a descent comp for him?

Thats quite a bit high for Way as well IMO. We have tons of legit talent that has proven their abilities in game action already. Way has a long way to go to break into the top 25 with the unbelievable amount of quality depth we have on the farm, especially on the pitching side.

If he ends up close to Burnett even stuff wise that would be impressive and huge for us
    I donít really remember McCann with Atlanta. But with the Yankees, he went just like Tex and Giambi where it was nothing but dead pull, which really hurt all three of them. Both Tex and Giambi were great at hitting to all fields before coming to NY (I mean both Tex and Giambi were .290ish hitters before becoming Yankees and then fell to .240ish hitters). I donít know if McCann did. Anyway the reason I did that rant was because Iíve heard that Wells has great opposite field power and can drives the ball to all fields. So McCann might be a good comp but hopefully he out-performs McCann as a Yankee. Iíve also seen Harper and Schwarber comps, Schwarber seems likely but Harper seems pretty lofty.

I donít really remember McCann with Atlanta. But with the Yankees, he went just like Tex and Giambi where it was nothing but dead pull, which really hurt all three of them. Both Tex and Giambi were great at hitting to all fields before coming to NY (I mean both Tex and Giambi were .290ish hitters before becoming Yankees and then fell to .240ish hitters). I donít know if McCann did. Anyway the reason I did that rant was because Iíve heard that Wells has great opposite field power and can drives the ball to all fields. So McCann might be a good comp but hopefully he out-performs McCann as a Yankee. Iíve also seen Harper and Schwarber comps, Schwarber seems likely but Harper seems pretty lofty.

I think the comp had to do with them both being offensive first, power hitting LHed catchers.

I don't like the Schwarber comp because Wells is supposed to be a better defensive catcher than Schwarber ever dreamed of being. Thats not to say Wells is some plus defender, although the new Yanks coaching staff said they believed all his issue were from bad coaching, its just Schwarber was that bad behind the plate.

The Harper comp is a dream, if his bat turns into anywhere close to Harper then Wells would be a future MVP candidate from the C position

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I don't get the Haprer love. He's had two really good years.
    He's hit a bunch of HRs his last couple years but he hasn't been a great hitter.
    I would take Rizzo all day over Harper.

I think Harper is one of the most overhyped players there is.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I don't get the Haprer love. He's had two really good years.
    He's hit a bunch of HRs his last couple years but he hasn't been a great hitter.
    I would take Rizzo all day over Harper.

I think Harper is one of the most overhyped players there is.
    The one great year you mention is up there with years that bonds and ted Williams put up. And that was at 22 years old. I think what gets over looked is that he is athletic and a very good defender thanks to a plus arm. Harper does the little things right, like drawing walks. And he has some of the hardest hit ball % in baseball.

But yes, the love he gets for his production is a little overblown but I think the love he was getting for the hype and potential was justified.

The one great year you mention is up there with years that bonds and ted Williams put up. And that was at 22 years old. I think what gets over looked is that he is athletic and a very good defender thanks to a plus arm. Harper does the little things right, like drawing walks. And he has some of the hardest hit ball % in baseball.

But yes, the love he gets for his production is a little overblown but I think the love he was getting for the hype and potential was justified.

The two big years he had were amazing. The real big one was phenomenal .

I absolutely agree with your take. I think harper is an extremely dynamic and exciting player to watch. Kind of like a WR like OBJ. When they are on? There is nothing like it. They are explosive, dynamic and game changing.
    When they aren't? They seem to let emotions get the better of them.

Personally, I do't think Harper is HOF at this point.
    He's still young and can change that easily but I think he needs a couple-few more years like those two great ones.

Ignorance is bliss

I think he is not only living off that one huge year, but also living off the potential of getting back to that type of player. When Harper signed his contract he was 26? I think they were paying a premium hoping his prime hasn't hit yet and the best years are ahead of him.

^^Yep, imo they paid up for prime production years.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,Ē JFK 1963.
    ďThe greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.Ē - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    I think he is not only living off that one huge year, but also living off the potential of getting back to that type of player. When Harper signed his contract he was 26? I think they were paying a premium hoping his prime hasn't hit yet and the best years are ahead of him.
    That is quite possible. But I still think based on what he's done, he is quite overrated.
    If he lives up to his potential? Then he is not overhyped.

He's 27? So he certainly has time. I also think Girardi is going to be great for him

Ignorance is bliss

Hey All,

First time here. Appreciate the color on all the prospects. Big time reader myself.

One guy i wanted to mention who 2 years ago was getting glowing reports in low levels was Miguel Marte. Anyone have color on him? Think he was dealing with a foot injury. Projected to stick at short, great contact skills. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JB_beisbol View Post
    Hey All,

First time here. Appreciate the color on all the prospects. Big time reader myself.

One guy i wanted to mention who 2 years ago was getting glowing reports in low levels was Miguel Marte. Anyone have color on him? Think he was dealing with a foot injury. Projected to stick at short, great contact skills. Thanks
    Welcome JB. I am not familiar with Miguel Marte other than he's an IFer in rookie ball. Keep us posted and don't be a stranger.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,Ē JFK 1963.
    ďThe greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.Ē - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JB_beisbol View Post
    Hey All,

This is my take on him based on what I know. He's more of a second baseman at this point but that's more because of the other talent they have at the SS position. He can absolutely play SS well enough to stick there.

Miguel Marte Ė 5-foot-11, 165-pounds, 2B, RHB, 19-years-old Ė Marte is a player who does everything well. He has the hit tool, above average speed, a solid defender throughout the infielder, and good arm strength. Marte didnít do much in 2019, but he also didnít play much. In 20 games he hit .185/.260/.246 with two double, a triple, and two stolen bases. Heís a guy who could become a Thairo Estrada type if everything breaks right.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

The under the radar middle infield spec that i'm most excited about is Maikel Escotto. He's not staateside this yr because of no MILB but he was the Yanks DSL player of the year as a 16 yr old. he's a right up about him from Phoba/BBD
    5-foot-11, 180-pounds, SS, RHB, 18-years-old Ė Escotto is another tool shed who could develop into a monster. He has plus power for a shortstop, hit-ability with athletic explosiveness. Escotto is an exit velocity darling which has garnered him attention from fangraphs as an already top prospect despite not making it stateside yet. He also has above average speed. He made quite the impression in the DSL, hitting .315/.429/.552/.981 with 11 doubles, four triples, and eight homeruns in 45 games while stealing 13 bases. He has the skills to rocket to the top of this list with a big season in 2021. He's had exit velo's of 110+ during his 16yr old season
    IMO this kid has all the tools to be a monster for us

Page 44 of 64 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast