Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

How the Yankees can beat Blake Snell

How the Yankees can beat Blake Snell
    The left-hander has struggled against the Yankees in the past, but has made some repertoire changes in 2020

By Joshua Diemert@JoshuaDiemert Oct 4, 2020, 10:00am EDT

To beat Cleveland in the Wild Card Series, the Yankees had to go through the presumptive Cy Young Award winner, handing Shane Bieber his worst loss of the season. The team came in with a hard game plan—jump all over Bieber’s mediocre fastball in order to avoid his devastating offspeed and breaking pitches.

Now the Yankees are faced with another excellent pitching squad, led not by the presumptive Cy Young winner, but by a recent one. Blake Snell is a familiar opponent for the Yankees; he’s faced the team more than any other club in his career. He’s a true four-pitch pitcher, throwing his fastball about 50% of the time, as well as a changeup, slider and curve. He throws them all from a tight release point and tunnel, which makes them difficult to differentiate from each other.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2020/...eber-cleveland
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    They can beat him by putting the ball in play, moving runners and having productive ABs. It ain't rocket science.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    They can beat him by putting the ball in play, moving runners and having productive ABs. It ain't rocket science.

Easier said then done.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

No it ain't. But there is some methodology available to help. Swing early at his FB up. Very similar to how they beat Bieber. Except in his case they waited on the FB and didn't swing at his off speed stuff outside the zone.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    No it ain't. But there is some methodology available to help. Swing early at his FB up. Very similar to how they beat Bieber. Except in his case they waited on the FB and didn't swing at his off speed stuff outside the zone.
    They better hope he doesn't throw off speed first pitch.

Ignorance is bliss

They better hope he doesn't throw off speed first pitch.
    Well....not his pattern suggested by years of data. He throws FB early and up 70% of the time. Could he change? Sure, but that could also effect his strategy and routine, may mess with him a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Well....not his pattern suggested by years of data. He throws FB early and up 70% of the time. Could he change? Sure, but that could also effect his strategy and routine, may mess with him a bit.
    Absolutely
    I went for a ride after I wrote that and though, "I should have said, effectively throw off speed on first pitch"

I like Cole against anyone. I think they can steal the first game. After that? They will need to be really good at the plate

Ignorance is bliss

Absolutely
    I went for a ride after I wrote that and though, "I should have said, effectively throw off speed on first pitch"

I like Cole against anyone. I think they can steal the first game. After that? They will need to be really good at the plate
    Agreed.

I am guessing it's Tanaka, then Happ? They will throw Glasnow and then Morton most likely, both will be tough to hit. Yankees have hit Glasnow, in three starts this season he's 1-1 with a 3.77 ERA. He has swing and miss stuff for sure. They will need to be patient.

Morton hasn't pitched in awhile, 12-day layoff between starts hasn’t pitched since Sept. 25. He allowed four runs (three earned) over five innings in his last regular-season start against the Phillies.

1-1 with under a 4 era vs an offense like the Yankees is good . I wouldn’t say the yanks really hit him this season . Beat him yes but really hit him? Not so sure

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    1-1 with under a 4 era vs an offense like the Yankees is good . I wouldn’t say the yanks really hit him this season . Beat him yes but really hit him? Not so sure
    You are correct, didn't suggest they feasted on him. In his first start vs Yanks he went 2.2 IP, gave up 5 hits and 4 ER. Next time out he went 5.2IP and gave up 2H and 2 ER. Last appearance 6IP and 0 ER, K 9.