Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Well i said if they went position player it would be a SS or a C. love this pick, big LHed bat, tons of power, seems to recognize pitches pretty well. MLB.com had him ranked #27 overall, so the pick is right in the correct range.

Love this pick, the Lhed bat should play very well in YS and if his recieving comes along he could be MLB ready possibly in 22 sometime. Perfect timing to either trade Sanchez or move him from behind the plate

I know were stacked with pitching but i was hoping for another high ceiling arm. Both the Rays and Dodgers made great picks. I keep reading how so many people in baseball thin the Yanks, Rays and Dodgers are head and shoulders above everyone else when in comes to scouting, finding, developing and producing talent. Lets hope Cash and Crew can hit on all 3 picks. Great 1st rounder

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I don't know if u guys are watching the draft
    I turned it on, saw Jessica Mendoza and immediately put on something else.

Austin Wells write up. The Yanks must really like this kid drafting him as a HS senior. If he can be even avg defensively that bat should get him to the MLB. Do you guys think he cracks our top 10? I would say he slots in somewhere between 7-12https://www.pinstripealley.com/2020/...-wells-catcher

He also a very big kid at 6'2 225lbs, Jonathan Mayo comped him to Schwarber but with a close to avg glove and above average arm. They gave him a 60 future grade for power and a 60 hit tool, both are above average especially for a catcher. The defense seemed to really improve last summer but with the season getting cut short no one really got a great look at him catching this spring. They said if his receiving/blocking had improved and he showed it for an extended time period he definitely would have gone much higher but with everything that has gone on this spring he wasn't able to show it.

The Yanks went with a player they had scouted heavily, back to his junior yr in HS It also sounds like he's athletic enough he can play a descent 1st base, RF and even is athletic enough he can play a little 3rd. TAll the analysts/ scouts i heard/ read agreed that the bat is special and will be good enough to get him on the field everyday at some position but his value sky rockets if he stay behind the plate.

The Yanks sure seem to target a certain type of player when they draft high or spend big in IFA. They focus up the middle bats C,SS, CF position player wise. I'm trying to remember when/who the last corner IF/OFer they drafted in the first round or spent huge in IFA was. I'm thinking Judge but he was the 3rd of their 3 1st round picks that yr. I'm not sure they would have gambled on him if he was their only first round pick. Does anyone else remember us spending big on a corner IF/OF in the draft or IFA?

I wish they would stick to getting their SS in the IFA market and stop using such valuable picks on kids with such low ceilings, Cito Culver? Kyle Holder? Volpe .the kid they took last yr that is another glove first SS. Since we have a long option in Torres at SS , i wish they would go more for ceiling rather than a high floor. Holder and so far Volpe look like glove 1st SS that have avg or below bats. Even if those guys come close to their ceilings they don't have the loud, raw tools to end up even a top 10-15 SS. Holder and we'll have to see how Volpe develops but the bat looks averagish at best bat and likely best served as defense first utility players. Every team needs one of those kind of guys on the MLB roster but why use a 1st round pick on to get multiple players in the farm like that IMO. Those kind of guys can be picked up as college seniors in later rounds. I'd rather see them take a huge swing like they did with Schmidt then play it incredibly safe like they did with Volpe

When you have a farm as unbelievably deep and talented like we do with an elite, young MLB roster, they should take the most talented player at every pick regardless of position
    Last edited by dayners81; 06-11-2020 at 05:40 AM.

Both yrs he was at AZ we walked more than he struck out. Thats impressive for any hitter but for a power hitter like him even more so. BA had him ranked #20 overall. I'm liking this pick more and more.

2 more really good ones Cash

Hey does anyone know what Happened with J.T. Ginn? He was in talks to be in the running for the #1 pick last summer and he doesn't get drafted in the 1st round? He was the Dodgers 1st round pick last yr

Just saw that some analyists are calling the pick one of the better ones of the 1st round. It also sounds like he is very capable of playing 1st base and RF as well. The analyst think he can be one of the first position players from this class to make their MLB debuts.

It would be awesome if this kid came up with the ability to rotate between C,RF and 1st base. That would be an incredibly valuable asset with his kind of bat.

Phoba, KB what do you guys think of this pick? good fit for us? would u rank him in the top 10?

I don't know how many of u guys watched the draft last night but the broke a very interested story. They had multiple reporters saying that they had confirmed at least 3-4 teams, including one in the top 10 that were already planning on not signing their 1st round picks due to money concerns.

Sometimes qst round picks don't sign even if the MLB team makes them a legit offer like us with COle in 2010. I don't think teams should just get the pick again next yr if they don't atleast make them an offer of slot value. If your taking a player in the 1st round knowing you aren't going to sign him, taking him off the board for every other team, they shouldn't be able to get that pick back in the same slot next yr. Maybe give them a comp pick but no way they should get the same spot back if they draft a guy they have no intention of signing.

If u don't want to spend huge in the first round take a kid that you would normally take later in the draft and sign him for 1/4 of the slot value but don't tank the pick and possibly screw with a kids dreams because he might not have a place to play next yr

By what they did in the draft i would bet anything that the Soxs are one of those teams. Why else would u take a kid ranked well outside the top 100 at 17 if they weren't concerned about money. I'm just a little surprised that they already have money concerns this soon

Both yrs he was at AZ we walked more than he struck out. Thats impressive for any hitter but for a power hitter like him even more so. BA had him ranked #20 overall. I'm liking this pick more and more.

2 more really good ones Cash

Hey does anyone know what Happened with J.T. Ginn? He was in talks to be in the running for the #1 pick last summer and he doesn't get drafted in the 1st round? He was the Dodgers 1st round pick last yr
    Ginn had Tommy John.

Just saw that some analyists are calling the pick one of the better ones of the 1st round. It also sounds like he is very capable of playing 1st base and RF as well. The analyst think he can be one of the first position players from this class to make their MLB debuts.

It would be awesome if this kid came up with the ability to rotate between C,RF and 1st base. That would be an incredibly valuable asset with his kind of bat.

Phoba, KB what do you guys think of this pick? good fit for us? would u rank him in the top 10?
    I don't really scout the draft hard so I have to look further into Austin Wells now. So give me a few days and I'll tell you my opinion.

NYY first round pick Austin Wells: "I'm a catcher, and I want to be a catcher. I know I'm definitely willing to do whatever it takes to get to the big leagues. So if that's at another position, then I'll just hit home runs at Yankee Stadium and play wherever they need me to."

Love it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Round 3 | Pick 99: The New York Yankees select 2B Trevor Hauver out of Arizona State University.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,Ē JFK 1963.
    ďThe greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.Ē - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    NYY first round pick Austin Wells: "I'm a catcher, and I want to be a catcher. I know I'm definitely willing to do whatever it takes to get to the big leagues. So if that's at another position, then I'll just hit home runs at Yankee Stadium and play wherever they need me to."

Love it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    That's really funny. I love the confidence but he has humor as well. I hope we see him soon

"Austin is a special player, has all the tools to be an impact Major League player, and has an intense desire to help his team win," Arizona head coach Jay Johnson said. "His ability is matched with an elite work ethic and capability to prepare that rivals any player in the country."

Ignorance is bliss

3 pretty good picks.

Wells looks like a solid MLB bat. If he can stick at catcher that is a huge win. He has a good eye at the plate and good pull power.

I like the pitcher, hope we can sign him away from LSU. Still young, 20 years old with three solid pitches... fastball sits 92-95 and has been up to 97. Low 80s slider/slurve. And a change up which they say is probably his best pitch but doesnít throw too often these days. They say his pitching command as improved a ton this past spring. Athletic and a solid frame. Listed at 6í4 200lbs. Was a reliever but was dominant as a starter in summer league. I havenít read anything about the movement on the fastball but from what I watched, it looked good.

And Hauver is just a hitter. Lefty bat with decent power and a good eye at the plate. Played LF at ASU but they say he can also play 2b, possible 3b. ASU had a good infield so they put him in the OF to get his bat in the lineup. He was a .315/.426/.537 hitter at ASU but was off to a monster year before corona (.340/.494/.695 with 5 HR, 20 RBI, and 20 walks in 17 games). So I would say he is an advanced LH bat that hopefully can stick at 2nd or 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another excellent post with some great inside info from our own Knicksballer @ the new improved bronxbaseballdaily
    http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2020/0...#idc-container

I thought the Yanks did a hell of a job in this draft. I love the Wells pick, he's not that far away, has an impact power bat and unlike most in the current lineup doesn't K much. That he struck out less than he walked in his college career is incredibly impressive

the Hauver pick reminds me of Nick Solack, kid can flat out rack just down't really have a position. Hopefully he can find a position.

The pitcher looks like a high risk/high reward type of arm. The exact kind they should have grabbed considering the kind of arm we already have in the system. If he hit awesome, if he misses its not like we don't have another 15+ pitchers with as good or better ceiling

The real results of this draft will be greatly influenced about the kid of undrafted FA talent they can sign, Lots of kids want to play for the Yanks hopefully that allows them to add15-20 more good kids that didn't get drafted

I would give them a solid B-B+ for what they have done so far

Draft Leftovers

Now that the 5 round draft is over, anyone left can be signed free-agent style for a max of $20,000. Now, many, if not all, the best leftovers will go back to school and try again next year, but since $20,000 is pocket-change to the Yankees, shouldn't they be trying to sign all the best remaining players like they did during the international draft a few years ago?

I would love to see a story where they signed a horde of the best remaining players who do not choose to try again next year. It seems like a cheap and easy method to acquire a lot of potential talent for a very low cost.

Thoughts?

Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast