Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast

New prospect thread 2020-2021

I thought since this board is 2 years old Iíd make a new top 30 prospects. After 15 I am not writing up anymore and will just post names. Mods if you want to move this thatís fine but just thought Iíd make a new one.
    If you disagree with my rankings that is fine thatís what baseball is about but letís get started:
    1. Jasson Dominguez CF- Elite tools in CF, a switch hitter with monster power. Extremely fast and that helps him on routes and base running. His arm is his weakest tool and still grades out at 55. Comp: A faster switch hitting Juan Soto
    2. Deivi Garcia SP- Short right hander thatís not afraid to challenge any hitter. Unbelievable spin rates on his fastball and curveball. Throws 93-95 that tops out at 97. Comp: Better strikeout Marcus Stroman.
    3. Clarke Schmidt SP- Former first round pick that was finally healthy and had a breakout season. He has a fastball, slider, change and curveball. All grade out as above average pitches. His fastball sits 93-95 and tops out at 97. Comp: Jameson Tallion
    4. Estevan Florial CF- Florial has struggled over the last 2 seasons. Going into 2020 Florial has a make or break season coming up and the Yankees should put him at Trenton. Florial has 5 tool potential but the hit tool is missing. If Florial breaks out in 2020 expect him to move up quickly. Comp: Floor Kevin kiermaierÖ. Ceiling A faster Charlie Blackmon
    5. Luis Gil SP- Gil broke out and had an amazing year. His command got better and put him firmly on the map as a top prospect. Gil sits in the high 90ís throughout his starts. Over 96 innings Gil was able to keep the ball in the park only allowing one homerun. Comp: Zack Wheeler
    6. Roansy Contreras SP- Contreras is a complete young pitcher. Roansy has command, velocity, is deceptive, has toughness and heart. Roansy will start at High A Tampa and donít be surprised to see him at Triple A by the end of 2020. Comp: Zack Greinke
    7. Alexander Vargas SS- Vargas has a 5 tool skill set that ranks just behind Dominguez. He is a wizard in the field with a monster arm. He is extremely fast and sprays the ball all over the field. Scouts have said he has top 10 prospect in all of baseball ability if it clicks. Comp: Francisco Lindor
    8. Luis Medina SP- Medina started off 2019 like every other year being unable to locate anything. Something seemed to click for Medina in the summer and he dominated just like everyone expected from him. Medina sits high 90ís with a monster curveball and change/splitter. 2020 will be a huge year for Medina if he continues on his momentum towards the end of the year, expect him to be ranked amongst the top prospects in all of baseball. Comp: A Better Severino
    9. Miguel Yajure SP- Yajure kind of came out of nowhere and had the best pitching season of 2019. Yajure not only added velocity but also added a cutter that kept left handers honest. Yajure has a fastball that sits 93-95 tops 97, change, cutter and curve. Comp: Young Jordan Zimmerman
    10. Josh Breaux C- Big time power with a monster arm. Had issues staying healthy but will be a player to keep an eye on. Comp Bengie Molina

11. Canaan Smith LF- Smith had a monster 2019 where he did a little of everything. Smith has an amazing hit tool with monster power. Smith isnít fast but still stole 16 bases. Should move quickly starting in 2020. Comp: A better hitting Joc Pederson
    12. Kevin Alcantara CF- He has one of the highest ceilings in the entire system. A 6í6 CF with Judge like tools but faster. Power will be his last tool to come but once it does he will be a top prospect in all of baseball. Comp: Floor Alex RiosÖ.. Ceiling Faster Aaron Judge
    13. Yoendrys Gomez SP- Gomez sits 93-95 and tops out at 97. Gomez has number three pitcher ability and has a dog like mentality on the mound. Comp: Right handed Eduardo Rodriguez
    14. Alexander Vizcaino SP- Broke out this year in a big way and has amazing stuff. Sits 94-97 and tops out at 100. Has one of the best change ups in the system. Comp: Harder throwing Marco Estrada
    15. Tj Sikkema SP- Sikkema is a hard to barrel up left handed pitcher that is not afraid to attack hitters. Has excellent control. Comp: Better control Justus Sheffield.
    16. Ezequiel Duran 2nd Base
    17. Nick Nelson SP
    18. Michael King SP
    19. Josh Smith SS
    20. Anthony Volpe SS
    21. Everson Pereira CF
    22. Antonio Cabello CF
    23. Oswald Peraza SS
    24. Ryder Green RF
    25. Antonio Gomez C
    26. Anthony Seigler C
    27. Rony Garcia SP
    28. Maikol Escotto 2nd base
    29. Glenn Otto SP
    30. Albert Abreu SP

My 5 that just missed are:

1. Juan Carela SP- Who is exactly what Luis Medina was a few years ago. Monster stuff with no command.
    2. Ken Waldichuk SP- Big left hander with nice stuff.
    3. Madison Santos CF- Reminds me of Estevan Florial with almost the exact same tools.
    4. Trevor Stephen RP- More of a bullpen piece.
    5. Raimfer Salinas CF- Had a good bounce back year.

I canít believe Iíve never heard of anyone past the Top 5.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Support Every President & The Country!

Pretty bad when your 1st round pick doesn't make your top 15, I still think they had a pretty bad draft overall

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Amazing write up. Thanks for the thoughts and effort.

Ignorance is bliss

Seems like Abreu is flaming out as a prospect. As Iíve said before, everyone also fears the risk of trading a prospect that goes on to be a beast somewhere else. Every deadline people point that out. Just as costly though is when you donít trade a guy that has value just to watch him flame out. It doesnít stand out much but itís opportunity cost just the same.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Seems like Abreu is flaming out as a prospect. As Iíve said before, everyone also fears the risk of trading a prospect that goes on to be a beast somewhere else. Every deadline people point that out. Just as costly though is when you donít trade a guy that has value just to watch him flame out. It doesnít stand out much but itís opportunity cost just the same.
    On the other hand, if the thought process of not trading Abreu also was the same thought process that made us not trade Torres, then I'm all for it.

IMO, you evaluate and decide on which prospects you believe have a better than likely chance of making the team and you don't trade them for players who are temporary fill-ins unless you are absolutely desperate. The rest of the "prospects" are fair game.

Thanks Knicksballer, as always much appreciated effort.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,Ē JFK 1963.
    ďThe greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.Ē - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    On the other hand, if the thought process of not trading Abreu also was the same thought process that made us not trade Torres, then I'm all for it.

IMO, you evaluate and decide on which prospects you believe have a better than likely chance of making the team and you don't trade them for players who are temporary fill-ins unless you are absolutely desperate. The rest of the "prospects" are fair game.
    Oh I agree. Not saying just trade everyone. I think we do a good job of valuing players we're sending out vs. what we get back.

I was talking more in general about how we as fans judge things. People are very quick to point out when an organization trades away a guy that goes on to be great. But no one calls out the other end of things when you hold onto someone who doesn't pan out vs. capitalizing on their value. Each are cases of the organization mis-evaluating talent.

I think we do a great job so it wasn't a specific criticism as much as just an observation. His name being #30 on the list stuck out to me.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    He's still only 23. His manager in Double-A Trenton Pat Osborn earlier this year: " Albertís got electric stuff. Itís a matter of getting him out of the gate every start the right way. Heís got to attack, heís got to attack in the strike zone. His stuff is so good that command-wise, it doesnít have to be great. It just has to be in the strike zone. But when he starts to get scattered, hitters are able to shrink that zone into a baseball-sized spot and heís got to give in. I think thatís where he gets hurt. But once this kid gets in the zone consistently with that stuff, heís going to rocket. Heís going to shoot up.

Whatís the key to that? Is it mechanical for him?

Osborn: No, I think it becomes a mental thing. I think it becomes, ĎAll right, Iím really, really good. Iím better than every hitter that stands in that box. Iím going to go right at you. Here it is. Good luck.í I think it becomes a mindset."
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,Ē JFK 1963.
    ďThe greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.Ē - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Pretty bad when your 1st round pick doesn't make your top 15, I still think they had a pretty bad draft overall
    Was going to say this as well. I'd have Seigler quite a bit higher. Maybe knicks isn't a fan but I think he is a lot closer if not top 10 than 25ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Amazing write up. Thanks for the thoughts and effort.
    Thank you.

Thank you for the nice words.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Thanks Knicksballer, as always much appreciated effort.
    Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Was going to say this as well. I'd have Seigler quite a bit higher. Maybe knicks isn't a fan but I think he is a lot closer if not top 10 than 25ish.
    I like Seigler I just don't think his ceiling is that high. Plus he has had back to back bad years with injuries mixed in. To be honest I think Antonio Gomez has the highest ceiling of any of the catchers.

Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast