Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 519 of 549 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521529 ... LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,785 of 8229
  1. #7771
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,648
    Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    Playoff teams always play each other hard. They are not meaningless. Most of the time itís a gauge of things you may need to change. Another reason is home court advantage. Sure they are not win or go home games but they do have doom meaning and Kobe took those seriously.
    No, they are pretty meaningless, at least in the sense of trying to use them to assess players. Kobe took all games pretty seriously, he took preseason games seriously. Head-to-head regular season matchups are not diagnostic in any way of who is a better player.

  2. #7772
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    No, they are pretty meaningless, at least in the sense of trying to use them to assess players. Kobe took all games pretty seriously, he took preseason games seriously. Head-to-head regular season matchups are not diagnostic in any way of who is a better player.
    No if I got a team that fail to reach the playoffs and I add a player and they make the playoffs it will display the impact of that player. So if we canít count wins why count rings? Itís plenty of parts moving when winning rings. What you do know is adding Lonzo vs adding Chris Paul is a huge difference. When it come to winning rings Who will you add base on Your team defense or offense?
    I am not going to sit here and tell you that the post season is not more important but those teams that say regular season donít mean anything is usually the teams that suck.
    Last edited by ldawg; 10-05-2020 at 03:28 PM.

  3. #7773
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,021
    This still being open during the NBA finals is only proving Kobe is bigger then Basketball as a whole. Since itís the most talked about topic as a whole.

  4. #7774
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    36,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjorge View Post
    This still being open during the NBA finals is only proving Kobe is bigger then Basketball as a whole. Since itís the most talked about topic as a whole.
    Say what you want about Kobe, but he's one of literally a handful of players that transcended the game into a genuine pop culture phenomenon.

  5. #7775
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19,056
    kobe was a bad bad man. It does have parts of his game thatís better than Lebron but with his size and strength overall Lebron got him.

  6. #7776
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,648
    Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    No if I got a team that fail to reach the playoffs and I add a player and they make the playoffs it will display the impact of that player. So if we canít count wins why count rings? Itís plenty of parts moving when winning rings. What you do know is adding Lonzo vs adding Chris Paul is a huge difference. When it come to winning rings Who will you add base on Your team defense or offense?
    I am not going to sit here and tell you that the post season is not more important but those teams that say regular season donít mean anything is usually the teams that suck.
    It's not that the regular season doesn't mean anything. It's that head-to-head play is not indicative of who is better. If two HOF caliber players both have elite contending teams, then we can absolutely look at rings. It's not entirely fair to compare rings when one guy was on super duper great teams for most of his career and the other was on teams that sucked (it would however speak to the fact that that player could never sustainably create a winning culture, which would count against him), but that's not the case with Kobe or LBJ. Both have been the central piece to multiple contending teams for over a decades worth of basketball for each and both have had star teammates. There's very few if any elite players who I can think of off the top of my head who have been on bad teams for most of their careers.

  7. #7777
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19,056
    Anthony Davis last night is a reminder how the game has changed a bit. Teams just donít let players sit in post position like back in the day. When you donít hit 3s it donít make it any easier.

  8. #7778
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    It's not that the regular season doesn't mean anything. It's that head-to-head play is not indicative of who is better. If two HOF caliber players both have elite contending teams, then we can absolutely look at rings. It's not entirely fair to compare rings when one guy was on super duper great teams for most of his career and the other was on teams that sucked (it would however speak to the fact that that player could never sustainably create a winning culture, which would count against him), but that's not the case with Kobe or LBJ. Both have been the central piece to multiple contending teams for over a decades worth of basketball for each and both have had star teammates. There's very few if any elite players who I can think of off the top of my head who have been on bad teams for most of their careers.
    I think you went around a long way to say itís very difficult to look at wins as a way to determine the better player I donít know
    Last edited by ldawg; 10-05-2020 at 04:21 PM.

  9. #7779
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,648
    Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    Anthony Davis last night is a reminder how the game has changed a bit. Teams just donít let players sit in post position like back in the day. When you donít hit 3s it donít make it any easier.
    You've been saying this for a while, except it's patently false lol. AD played like poop yesterday. It's not like he was trying to post up and couldn't do it. When he manned up against Houston, he would go down in the paint and do whatever he wanted. His play last night had nothing to do with how the game and has changed and everything to do with him playing like a weenie. Was it the game changing that led to him pulling down a whopping 5 rebounds? lol of course not. He would've probably done even worst playing like that back in the day cause they would've been even more physical with him. AD has the tendency to back off when others come at him hard and we see these kinds of performances. He's bounced back in other games thus far in these playoffs by manning up and asserting himself so I'm sure he will do the same here.

  10. #7780
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19,056
    Well I think everyone have Davis as having a bad game on his own and donít give Miami defense credit. Can he play better sure but they made him uncomfortable. They did the same to Lebron in the 4th he walked and dropped the ball on a next. If you donít hit shots you wonít have room. You have 5 quick guys on the floor hustling playing scrappy

  11. #7781
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    47,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjorge View Post
    This still being open during the NBA finals is only proving Kobe is bigger then Basketball as a whole. Since itís the most talked about topic as a whole.
    tbf, its a pretty **** finals/playoffs but yeah, kobe was always a hot topic. its why i hated that psd banned the kobephiles. i miss amos1er and the like

  12. #7782
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    tbf, its a pretty **** finals/playoffs but yeah, kobe was always a hot topic. its why i hated that psd banned the kobephiles. i miss amos1er and the like
    There's been some decent playoff series this year. Denver/Utah was a pretty fun series to watch.

  13. #7783
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19,056
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0eQ_TfkAxs 3s are important in post plays in the nba today.

  14. #7784
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,648
    Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0eQ_TfkAxs 3s are important in post plays in the nba today.
    We shot the 3 at 33.3% from the field, which is a little below average for the playoffs, but that's nothing out of the ordinary and barely different from game 2, where we shot 34% from the 3 and AD had an excellent Game 2.

  15. #7785
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    We shot the 3 at 33.3% from the field, which is a little below average for the playoffs, but that's nothing out of the ordinary and barely different from game 2, where we shot 34% from the 3 and AD had an excellent Game 2.
    lakers shot in the bottom percentage all season and into the bubble. Lakers made a living dominating the paint. Heat are playing them for those lobs and each time a player jump in the post he is seeing 2 or 3 defenders. If this is gsw you run them off the 3 with lakers you clog the paint. You deter them from their dominance. It was a strategy to make Kobe take tough shots and itís a strategy to make Lebron shoot as well. Spurs have been doing this for a while. If the role players donít hit open shots Davis and lebron wonít have room and they to will end up taking shots to. Thatís exactly what you want to turn them into a jump Shooting team. This give the Heat their only chance to win. This in not the league of big slow players pounding the ball and canít run back on D.
    Last edited by ldawg; 10-06-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •