Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 404 of 452 FirstFirst ... 304354394402403404405406414 ... LastLast
Results 6,046 to 6,060 of 6768
  1. #6046
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    I just don't really find it enjoyable to watch a lot of isolation basketball with minimal ball movement and or teams shooting 30-plus 3s a game. That's how the game is played at a rec center or local gym. I don't find that all that enjoyable to watch.
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...ba&action=view It have nothing those guys did back in the day that modern players cant do?

  2. #6047
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    47,633

    Kobe vs Lebron: Who is the better player?

    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Never defended him not playing hard, I asked a question. I very much doubt most people in NBA history would say that Hakeem wasnít competitive or didnít want to win, despite him coasting during the season.

    I agree the regular season product is worse because top players realized historically, nobody cares if you win a lot in the regular season. Organizationally, teams realized the regular season isnít tied into the playoffs/championships as much as previously believed.

    In terms of tenor, we as fans helped bring this on. When people talk about the 73-9 Warriors, itís ďwho cares about their regular season record because they didnít win a titleĒ. Well, you reap what you sow. If you constantly go around saying ďwho cares about the regular season?Ē Eventually the players are going to stop caring about it too.

    If you want to increase the competitiveness of the regular season, either the league needs to change the rules to place greater importance on it, or we as fans need to start acting like it has enduring value to be good in the regular season.
    Get out of here. Players/teams who didnít preform post season always got down graded. Its a cultural thing. For guys to take regular games more seriously organizations and lead players need to demand it and hold guys accountable to that standard. The league needs more Pat Rileys, Freeks, and Pat Beverly types leading the way

    Zion is off to a good start most of these guys would have not come back this year and been encouraged by there organization not to


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 06-09-2020 at 07:45 AM.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  3. #6048
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Well I don't really need evidence to back up my statement that watching the game today is somewhat boring due to what I perceive to be a very low quality of play. It's me reporting that I no longer find the games all that enjoyable and that the WNBA and college basketball games are often more enjoyable to watch for me than current NBA games (note also that I'm not just referring to turnovers as sloppy play, but also broken plays, and generally poor execution).

    Although I agree that turnovers can be a decent gauge of sloppiness of play, to make this kind of comparison across the years we need to account for pace of play as well as the differences in the defensive rules. I would also think that the different types of turnovers would be relevant here (forced turnovers due to good defense (which I wouldn't always consider sloppy play) vs. unforced turnovers (where I would usually consider these sloppy plays)).
    Did you really just say that WNBA games are often more enjoyable to watch than NBA games?
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  4. #6049
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GMT +2
    Posts
    13,848
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Did you really just say that WNBA games are often more enjoyable to watch than NBA games?
    It's better basketball. What is so surprising?

  5. #6050
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,638
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    It's better basketball. What is so surprising?
    whats not surprising is you also share this take
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  6. #6051
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,136
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Did you really just say that WNBA games are often more enjoyable to watch than NBA games?
    Yep, it's right in the comment that you responded to. Not really sure why that's an issue.

  7. #6052
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,136
    Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...ba&action=view It have nothing those guys did back in the day that modern players cant do?
    I didn't say there was anything that they did then that players can't do now (although post play was vastly superior 20-25 years ago than it is today). I said that I don't like the style of play in today's NBA. Yes, in that video compilation there is some nice examples of ball movement, but those are highlights. That's not how the game is played today. I really don't see why someone saying "I don't enjoy watching games very much in today's NBA because I find the quality of play to be very low" has to be defended. It's like if someone says "I don't like ice cream". Its a personal taste and not something that should really be argued against. You can disagree and say "I do like ice cream", but it's silly to challenge someone's likes and dislikes. Personally, I don't enjoy ball dominant play that revolves around 1 guy dribbling around most of the clock and relying mostly on athleticism or a team shooting a million 3s. I find that style of play to be inferior and even more importantly for viewing pleasure, very boring.
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 06-09-2020 at 11:04 AM.

  8. #6053
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,136
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    It's better basketball. What is so surprising?
    Yep, much, much better basketball.

  9. #6054
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,136
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    whats not surprising is you also share this take
    It's also not surprising that you seem to have an issue with any dissenting opinions, per usual.

  10. #6055
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    I didn't say there was anything that they did then that players can't do now (although post play was vastly superior 20-25 years ago than it is today). I said that I don't like the style of play in today's NBA. Yes, in that video compilation there is some nice examples of ball movement, but those are highlights. That's not how the game is played today. I really don't see why someone saying "I don't enjoy watching games very much in today's NBA because I find the quality of play to be very low" has to be defended. It's like if someone says "I don't like ice cream". Its a personal taste and not something that should really be argued against. You can disagree and say "I do like ice cream", but it's silly to challenge someone's likes and dislikes. Personally, I don't enjoy ball dominant play that revolves around 1 guy dribbling around most of the clock and relying mostly on athleticism or a team shooting a million 3s. I find that style of play to be inferior and even more importantly for viewing pleasure, very boring.
    Because the guards are no longer back to the basket high dribble shooting shy hooks and one hand runners. But many players in the nba can post.

    That is the reason I ask you way back if you use to like wrestling. As to your ice cream preference. What I am pointing out the issue is you not the game. Your at a different stage in your life so something that you once like no longer bring the same joy. Itís like getting a new bike as a kid. Man you can ride that thing all day long. Once you get older riding bike becomes exercise or a way to get around. You no longer ride it for fun unless itís with a group of friends. Like going to clubs once you get older and return to the scene itís not the same. The music the women changed Itís a preference but the game itself is still entertaining. The club itself is still entertaining Itís like trying to fall in love with your wife again after being married for 10 years.

    I am not trying to say what you like and donít like. I am just trying to point out we are all like that As time passes. Itís a preference. Ol you say the game got worst and less entertaining the younger guy laughed at the older players who is right? It boils down to preferences. But if you look at the information at hand nothing changed. You say to much one and one yet Malone and Stockton, pippen, Mj, Kobe Shaq, etc what changed the game always revolves around stars.
    Last edited by ldawg; 06-09-2020 at 12:38 PM.

  11. #6056
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,136
    Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    Because the guards are no longer back to the basket high dribble shooting shy hooks and one hand runners. But many players in the nba can post.

    That is the reason I ask you way back if you use to like wrestling. As to your ice cream preference. What I am pointing out the issue is you not the game. Your at a different stage in your life so something that you once like no longer bring the same joy. Itís like getting a new bike as a kid. Man you can ride that thing all day long. Once you get older riding bike becomes exercise or a way to get around. You no longer ride it for fun. Like going to clubs once you get older and return to the scene itís not the same. Itís a preference but the game itself is still entertaining. Itís like trying to fall in love with your wife being married for 20 years.
    Nah, it's not me, because I still enjoy watching basketball. I didn't like the WNBA before, and I still don't really watch regularly, but I do find the games more entertaining than a lot of NBA games, same with college basketball. Again, I dislike the actual way the game is presently being played in the NBA. There are a very small number of teams that I do enjoy watching, but very few.
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 06-09-2020 at 12:41 PM.

  12. #6057
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Nah, it's not me, because I still enjoy watching basketball. I didn't like the WNBA before, and I still don't really watch regularly, but I do find the games more entertaining than a lot of NBA games, same with college basketball. Again, I dislike the actual way the game is presently being played in the NBA. There are a very small number of teams that I enjoy watching, but very few.
    Sorry but I am trying to fully understand. In other words not the players skills your not feeling. Is it the season to long knowing that only 6 teams have a legit shot and would love to fast forward to playoffs rather than going through the motions? Or not feeling the younger players personality and the way the approach the game and think they are not competitive. We already established back in the day it had many sorry teams to and like today we have marquee matches.

  13. #6058
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,155
    Itís kind of when Lakers had Lonzo Lakers was entertaining for other reasons besides Playing good ball. Now that they have a title shot the playoffs canít get here fast enough. Which is more entertaining? The story line or the game? Why was everyone more interested in seeing lonzo and not Mitchell.
    Last edited by ldawg; 06-09-2020 at 01:04 PM.

  14. #6059
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    33,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Yep, much, much better basketball.
    Who would win, an NBA team or a WNBA team?

  15. #6060
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    33,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Well I don't really need evidence to back up my statement that watching the game today is somewhat boring due to what I perceive to be a very low quality of play. It's me reporting that I no longer find the games all that enjoyable and that the WNBA and college basketball games are often more enjoyable to watch for me than current NBA games (note also that I'm not just referring to turnovers as sloppy play, but also broken plays, and generally poor execution).

    Although I agree that turnovers can be a decent gauge of sloppiness of play, to make this kind of comparison across the years we need to account for pace of play as well as the differences in the defensive rules. I would also think that the different types of turnovers would be relevant here (forced turnovers due to good defense (which I wouldn't always consider sloppy play) vs. unforced turnovers (where I would usually consider these sloppy plays)).
    This is the nexus of it all right here. You donít need evidence for you to form your opinions. The only thing you accept is your opinion.

    As for the stats, you realize they have that right and it shows the play of today being no less sloppy (and in many instances less so) than previous eras.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •