Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 145 of 194 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 2906

Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    No. Kobe did not change team but many still felt Shaq could have won with a like star which he did.

Lebron was mvp in all 3 rings dont matter if it was Miami or Cavs.
    Yeah, but that Miami team was so talented that you could have replaced LBJ with various other stars and they likely still win (e.g., Kobe, Durant, CP3, Dirk, Rose, Melo). That might not have been the case with the Cavs, but Miami was really stacked so they didn't necessarily need LBJ. It's not about LBJ moving around for me, it's about him forming these really stacked teams, which makes the titles mean less (at least in my eyes). With shaq, he could have probably won with a few other stars in 2000 and maybe 2001, but definitely not in 2002. The lakers needed every ounce of how good Kobe was to get past the kings in 02.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Yeah, but that Miami team was so talented that you could have replaced LBJ with various other stars and they likely still win (e.g., Kobe, Durant, CP3, Dirk, Rose, Melo). That might not have been the case with the Cavs, but Miami was really stacked so they didn't necessarily need LBJ. It's not about LBJ moving around for me, it's about him forming these really stacked teams, which makes the titles mean less (at least in my eyes). With shaq, he could have probably won with a few other stars in 2000 and maybe 2001, but definitely not in 2002. The lakers needed every ounce of how good Kobe was to get past the kings in 02.
    That goes for any player. But like i said games have to be played. Back in the day Lakers super team with Gary and Karl did not win as with some others. its not a lock to work. Miami was no more stacked than GSW, OKC, Lakers, Spurs, Kings, Blazers, etc

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Last edited by ldawg; 12-02-2019 at 10:35 PM.

That goes for any player. But like i said games have to be played. Back in the day Lakers super team with Gary and Karl did not win as with some others. its not a lock to work. Miami was no more stacked than GSW, OKC, Lakers, Spurs, Kings, Blazers, etc

That's silly to consider the 04 lakers a super team. Malone and payton were role players at that point. GS was a super team with KD and the reason that I don't count his titles the same either. Those other teams you mentioned were formed normally, which means they didn't have an unfair advantage. When super teams are formed artificially, it creates an unfair advantage because those players wouldn't normally be able to come together under normal circumstances. The heat had 2 of the top 3 players in the league and 3 fo the top 10-15. None of those other teams you mentioned had that or anything close to it.

That's silly to consider the 04 lakers a super team. Malone and payton were role players at that point. GS was a super team with KD and the reason that I don't count his titles the same either. Those other teams you mentioned were formed normally, which means they didn't have an unfair advantage. When super teams are formed artificially, it creates an unfair advantage because those players wouldn't normally be able to come together under normal circumstances. The heat had 2 of the top 3 players in the league and 3 fo the top 10-15. None of those other teams you mentioned had that or anything close to it.
    thats how they did it back then, they were not prime but they still played well the season before going LA. Malone and Payton even carried the lakers between shaq injury and Kobe trial before Malone got injured himself. They went to the finals. Again not because a player is not market or have a green light dont mean he is not talented.

thats how they did it back then, they were not prime but they still played well the season before going LA. Malone and Payton even carried the lakers between shaq injury and Kobe trial before Malone got injured himself. They went to the finals. Again not because a player is not market or have a green light dont mean he is not talented.
    I didn't say that they weren't good players, but they weren't stars and hence that lakers team was not a super team.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    What does it matter if they are close? If they are close, it means they're good, if not, they are crap?
    It shows you how cupcake their competition was in comparison to the East at the same time. Lakers were far and away the most talented team in their weak conference, the one team that had comparable talent/efficiency, happened to beat them and got injured thereafter. Had the twin towers stayed healthy in Houston then I could buy the argument that they had tough roads there.

Those Lakers teams are top 5 ALL TIME. The rest are obviously not top 5 of all time. They are bound to lose to them almost every time in a 7 game series. That's not measure of how good they are. Put all Lebron teams against the Showtime Lakers and almost all of them will be swept. Not just swept, humiliated even. That's how big of a gap thee is. You are ******** on an era and a conference just because a team dominated... Unreal.
    Literally nothing said here is true. I've already seen the Lakers lose to far inferior teams why would I believe this BS? And Bron would have no trouble beating the no defense having Nuggets.

But just to show you how off you are, here is the Denver Nuggets of that season. A quite strong team that made the WCF a year or two back.
    Indicative of how weak the West was but even then, it doesn't change the fact that they were nowhere close to their comp and not as impressive as even most playoff teams of recent memory.

Is this the same as playing Expansion teams or teams that are TANKING(which wasn't even a thing until 25 years ago)???
    It was actually a thing and I've already addressed this, we have means of account for the strength of competition and the fact that there are less trash games. It never justifies a sub.500 record no matter how much you want to overrate those trash teams that would get run off the gym today.

I cannot even bother anymore, you have zero credibility here. You're almost like a troll.
    Based on wat doe?

And just to show you how full of nonsense you are with this infantile argument, here is the 1st round competition of the Celtics. The 1987 Chicago Bulls. This team actually has Michael Jordan...
    That was the East and that Bulls team wasn't very good. LOL at you naming a singular player as proof of anything when NBA history is littered with transformative players failing to even make the playoffs due to a poor supporting cast.

What we notice here is that the Bulls were unlucky enough to play 6 times against almost every other Playoff team in the East. With a better schedule, maybe they end the season with a positive win% instead.
    Its an infantile argument that ignores efficiency scores. Thats far more important than the basic analysis given here.

You clearly have no idea of 80s basketball. Every RS game mattered, it's not like in the past 10 years or so where teams just casually play along and defense has been eradicated.
    You clearly havent listened to players of that era admit that defense wasn't stressed as much as it became decades later. The 80's were actually quite soft and full of up and down basketball. Those Nuggets of the late 80's were like a piss poor version of the Steve Nash Suns in how they tried to just run non-stop. Alex English is one of the worst defenders for players of his caliber and nowhere near the offensive juggernaut to compare to elite scorers of today.

Now name the run you find weaker than that lol worthy slate of opponents for the Lakers to feast on.

I didn't say that they weren't good players, but they weren't stars and hence that lakers team was not a super team.
    Stars is a title for marketing purposes. top players dont join and all of a sudden they avg 150ppg. thats not how it works. This is one of the reason you think Lebron hurt Love and Bosh and turn them to role players. Many super teams in the past failed. And yes that was a super team you cannot deny that.
    Last edited by ldawg; 12-02-2019 at 11:17 PM.

The Lakers had just come off a playoff loss to the eventual champion Spurs, but most people believed that the tandem of Shaq and Kobe wasn't anywhere close to done competing for titles.

That included Gary Payton and Karl Malone, two Hall of Fame talents that wanted one last shot at a ring before their careers were finished.

An injury to Malone is what the majority of observers will point to as the reason L.A. came up short against a very good Pistons team in the 2004 Finals, but go back and watch some of those games, and you'll see that Kobe Bryant's insistence on firing long contested shots over Tayshaun Prince (rather than feeding O'Neal inside) is what ultimately doomed the Lakers in the series.

Yeah those Pistons have talked alot about how they used Kobe's mentality against him, he couldn't stick to the gameplan and began pressing for shots. When Phil tried to reign him in, he insisted "Im gonna kill these mother****ers". Kobe wasn't as great in his younger days, just a great scorer. I think I rememer Pop saying Kobes become more than just a great scorer at one point.

Like everyone else a frustrated Kobe requested a trade. It did not happen but he was ready to jump ship. I wonder if people lost respect for him doing that.
    Itís was move he learned from Phill. Like when Phill said he would trade Kobe if he wanted to be traded. Phill wasn't going to trade Kobe he just wanted Kobe to stop talking to the media. Kobe rejected every trade the Lakers came up with his no trade clause. If Kobe really wanted out he would of been out. Both moves resulted in multiple championships. Zen Master.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjorge View Post
    Itís was move he learned from Phill. Like when Phill said he would trade Kobe if he wanted to be traded. Phill wasn't going to trade Kobe he just wanted Kobe to stop talking to the media. Kobe rejected every trade the Lakers came up with his no trade clause. If Kobe really wanted out he would of been out. Both moves resulted in multiple championships. Zen Master.
    Phil was most definitely lobbying to trade Kobe (Kobe never possessed a NTC until their 2nd stint together. Back then Phil wanted to trade Kobe for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion. Kobe demanded a trade but it had to be the right trade, he didn't want the team he was being traded to be bereft of all talent. He would've been a Bull if the Lakers ever agreed on terms with Deng. Back then the Bulls really valued him, refusing to part with him for the likes of KG/Pau. Lakers wanted him, Kobe wanted him on the squad. It was an empass. If the Lakers never land Pau Gasol out of nowhere, then Kobe is definitely out. Maybe on the Pistons or some Eastern power.

And I just wanted to add, tanking literally started in the 80's, hence the introduction to a lotto system and revisions there on.