Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 546 of 549 FirstFirst ... 46446496536544545546547548 ... LastLast
Results 8,176 to 8,190 of 8229
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    Being nostalgic is far different from being factually incorrect. One is based off emotions and the other is just based off being a hater.
    I'm not talking about nostalgia, though. I'm talking about people who are so stuck in the past, they refuse to accept any new thing could possibly be better or as good as the thing they loved from decades ago. There's a general subjectivity to art and entertainment that doesn't always compare for sports. But in the same way some people crap on Tarantino and Christopher Nolan movies because "they're no Fellini or Kurosawa," NYK is reacting to the idea that Lebron couldn't possibly be as good as Magic or Bird.

It's that same broken logic of "the past is always better than the present" people have where the memory of the thing they loved and prefer is vastly superior to anything happening right now. They have a bias against the present before you ever start the conversation that makes them infuriating to discuss anything with because no fact or piece of information you put in front of them could possibly measure up to the memory of that previous thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Can this thread finally die?

I've been on PSD long enough to have seen literally every stage of this debate. I remember when it was absurd to even suggest that Lebron was better than Kobe; when Lebron won titles with Miami, but people didn't give him credit because he jumped ship to do it; and when he clearly surpassed Kobe with his Cleveland title so that the average fan finally got on board. Now we're at the fourth stage: Where you'd have to be so insanely stubborn to think Kobe is better than Lebron that even Lakers fans now think you're crazy.
    So are we mocking the people who claim that rings are the only thing that matter or not? I lost track.

Do we mock the people who use them when we disagree with them only, or do we do it all the time?

Why on earth does one championship in 2016 make Lebron a greater player than Kobe???

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    So are we mocking the people who claim that rings are the only thing that matter or not? I lost track.

Do we mock the people who use them when we disagree with them only, or do we do it all the time?

Why on earth does one championship in 2016 make Lebron a greater player than Kobe???
    Rings matter to an extent just like anything else. If Lebron had exactly the same stats he has today, but zero rings to show for it, he wouldn't be a top 2 player in most people's eyes; hell, he probably wouldn't even be top 10. You can't be in the GOAT discussion if you never won it all on the biggest stage. On the flip side, if he was 10 for 10 in the Finals, he probably would have surpassed MJ long ago, and this thread would seem especially ridiculous.

Also, I was being pretty vague there just to provide a general marker for time periods and sentiment on PSD. The Cleveland title was that rare championship where a superstar beat a superior team as a huge underdog, and that capitulated him from "some/maybe most people think he's better than Kobe" to "almost everyone thinks he's better than Kobe." It was around that time that even the most blatant Lebron haters started to appreciate the guy, because he defeated the Goliath that was the 73-win Warriors. You could tell the dialogue around him had changed.

For me, personally, he probably surpassed Kobe before that, sometime between his second title and his fifth finals appearance. His peak was dramatically better, his individual accolades were superior, he'd built a dynasty in Miami and his postseason stats were off the charts. Everything since then has just been icing on the cake for me.

What hardware? LeBron has more Finals MVP/regular season MVP's than Magic. Magic has only one more ring. LeBron is far more accomplished than Magic. I like to think of it this way: Magic Johnson is basically a 40 year old LeBron. If you take away half of LeBron's athleticism, you have Magic Johnson.

Mods need that ad revenue and sadly, this thread still generates clicks. Pretty much the only explanation for why this thread exists still. It should be closed and anyone asking this question again should be deemed a troll.
    They need to pay me for my original thread idea

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Absolutely. LeBron doesn't give me the same satisfaction to watch that Jordan did, but that was because I was ages 8-22 for Jordan's career. The way you are as a young fan can't be recreated ever again. But I am also not naÔve enough to know that no matter how great something is, chances are, something will come along just as good or better...
    Exactly. Nothing will beat the feelings I had listening to Dark Side of the Moon, or watching Aliens for the first time. But I'd be a fool to say no music or movies have measured up to those in the 40-50 years since they've been made.

What's funny about it is if you take anything that we can objectively measure, pretty much everything is getting better in terms of quality. Cars are faster and safer. Planes are faster and safer. Computers are smaller and faster. TV image quality is far better. Pretty much everything is getting better over time, but we are to believe that as everything we can measure is getting better, everything we can't definitively measure is getting worse? Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Exactly. Nothing will beat the feelings I had listening to Dark Side of the Moon, or watching Aliens for the first time. But I'd be a fool to say no music or movies have measured up to those in the 40-50 years since they've been made.

What's funny about it is if you take anything that we can objectively measure, pretty much everything is getting better in terms of quality. Cars are faster and safer. Planes are faster and safer. Computers are smaller and faster. TV image quality is far better. Pretty much everything is getting better over time, but we are to believe that as everything we can measure is getting better, everything we can't definitively measure is getting worse? Makes no sense.
    I agree with everything you said been trying to tell NY hes stuck in the past for min. One thing off the top of my head that seem to have gotten worst with time however, Rap music. The beats got better but the message in the music is a bunch of trash. But yeah besides that everything else seem to have improved.
    Last edited by ldawg; 10-13-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    I agree with everything you said been trying to tell NY hes stuck in the past for min. One thing off the top of my head that seem to have gotten worst with time however, Rap music. The beats got better but the message in the music is a bunch of trash. But yeah besides that everything else seem to have improved.

Conflated on this one, I too think life is regressing despite technological innovation, its just not keeping up fast enough for me I guess. Like I'll have more fun playing a simple game like among us or pubg over some really high tech games of today. I understand those are current games too but a game like among us could have theoretically existed in earlier console generations, graphically at least. To this day if I were trying a game like Chrono Trigger or FF6 for the first time, I would love those games more than anything today. Never played the last of us tho, heard that was good.

Rap has definitely become trash tho thats been by design imo, I wont get conspiratorial here but some of these rappers were created and their images crafted, I know they've been saying that about rappers since the 90's but I feel like its reached the next portion of its design.
    Last edited by Chronz; 10-13-2020 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Conflated on this one, I too think life is regressing despite technological innovation, its just not keeping up fast enough for me I guess. Like I'll have more fun playing a simple game like among us or pubg over some really high tech games of today. I understand those are current games too but a game like among us could have theoretically existed in earlier console generations, graphically at least. To this day if I were trying a game like Chrono Trigger or FF6 for the first time, I would love those games more than anything today. Never played the last of us tho, heard that was good.

Rap has definitely become trash tho thats been by design imo, I wont get conspiratorial here but some of these rappers were created and their images crafted, I know they've been saying that about rappers since the 90's but I feel like its reached the next portion of its design.
    Wrong thread man lol

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Wrong thread man lol

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I added the context, should've double quoted

Super Mario and mortal combat was the business.

Yes rappers were design puppet made to act like clowns but some of those clowns became real infected clowns. They dont know they are lab rats infected with poison. They think its entertainment.
    Last edited by ldawg; 10-13-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Video games are a great example. By every objective measure, they are better. Better graphics, more gameplay, more intricate plots, etc. but Iím like you, I like older games better. Why? Because I grew up on them. The style, the simplicity, etc. So Iím pre-disposed to like them better.

But if a video game could have magically come out with the gameplay and graphics of Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption or Fallout in 1991 it would be viewers as unquestionably the greatest game of all time.

Video games are a great example. By every objective measure, they are better. Better graphics, more gameplay, more intricate plots, etc. but Iím like you, I like older games better. Why? Because I grew up on them. The style, the simplicity, etc. So Iím pre-disposed to like them better.

But if a video game could have magically come out with the gameplay and graphics of Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption or Fallout in 1991 it would be viewers as unquestionably the greatest game of all time.
    my cousin and I rehooked his old atari and played the soccer and basketball equivalents of what we would play today and we were so ****ing bored of it lol. Whats odd is that I beat him at Soccer and he beat me at basketball

Its been said the the media keep pushing Lebron as the goat. lol

Lol at this horse ****.
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lebron-...163204533.html

This called hate 101

Many stars came together in the past and in most cases it did not work. Games have to be played. Its not easy. Hell Kawhi and PG, Westbrook and Harden, Kyrie and Durant, Derozan and Lamarcus, etc. You can find these teams stretch all the way back its a long list. Some was drafted to good situations some got traded to good situations. How many players ask for trades to certain teams and did not win? It just dont work like that. Did Kyrie not hand pick how has that turn out so far? I just dont see why Laker forming a talented team or a player deciding where he wants to play with a talented team is any different. People are so stuck in the past. We dont use shovel to mix cement we use mix machines or just hire a cement truck. How long do you sit and watch rich teams build true contenders before you learn. Its insane to do the same thing and expect a different result.

Dude accept its not as easy as it seem from your couch. It obvious he has a high impact. Clippers were a contending team last Season Lakers were not before his arrival. Lebron getting them to 2nd seed out west before getting injured was like the impossible. This is a all new team from bottom up even up to coach staff and GM.
    Last edited by ldawg; 10-14-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Give me the OG Legend of Zelda over any game ever haha. That shows my age

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.