Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 153 of 201 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 3005
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    That's definitely not how I remember it. Do you have anything to back that up, that it was KG pulling the strings? I remember KG being very upset that they wanted to trade him and he didn't want to go, but eventually agreed. I'm glad to admit that I am wrong if you can provide a credible source that supports what you're saying.
    I remember KG didn’t want to get traded at all. He shot down a trade to LA and Boston. He said “I wanted to beat Kobe”. Most badass response I ever heard. Minnesota almost forced him out by his friends talking about what’s good for his legacy. Even during his welcome interview in Boston, you can see KG felt he let Minnesota down by leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjorge View Post
    Lakers where 25-11 when Bynum went down. 1st place in the Western Conference. After the injury Lakers went 5-5 and then traded for Gasol.

Walton and Brown started in that 5-5 span.
    Gotcha... I just looked at Jan. 1 and they were about 3 games back from Phoenix, and at the time of the trade they were still 3 games back. They must have closed the gap and lost it back in that time span. So they weren't really winning with Brown then.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    I know its a silly question. Kobe was a good player/potential thats why Lakers flag him down. However had he spun them they were going to the next guy. Now like any other good player being good is not good enough to win rings. I dont know if Kobe would have found the right situation.
    But they showed that they couldn't win without Kobe. They had ample chances to do it and instead were arguably the worst front office in the league during that period.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Gotcha... I just looked at Jan. 1 and they were about 3 games back from Phoenix, and at the time of the trade they were still 3 games back. They must have closed the gap and lost it back in that time span. So they weren't really winning with Brown then.
    No, they definitely weren't winning with Brown. Once Bynum went down they looked more like they did the year before. Kobe needed another good player to keep that team competitive, but it says a lot that he was able to do it with a 20 year old Bynum.
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 12-04-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    I think the best team in today's game would be the D'Antoni Suns of 2006 and 2007 (only because the 2005 one is out of the period I mentioned).

The ones you mentioned I think were the best, but if the players & teams shared the current NBA's mentality the picture would be completely different.
    yeah, you're probably right. I've never been sold on this small-ball 3-pt shooting approach, because I think a good half-court team that can play inside out and that can execute and slow the game down will take away all of those semi-transition, high percentage looks that are generated by today's NBA style of play and I think once that happens that sort of style becomes very ineffective.

I remember KG didn’t want to get traded at all. He shot down a trade to LA and Boston. He said “I wanted to beat Kobe”. Most badass response I ever heard. Minnesota almost forced him out by his friends talking about what’s good for his legacy. Even during his welcome interview in Boston, you can see KG felt he let Minnesota down by leaving.
    Yep, this is consistent with how I remember it. I don't know where Chronz got it that it was the other way around. I could certainly be wrong, but that's not how I remember that situation.

KG did not want to play with Kobe. If i could remember right they were mocking him saying he cant do it alone.

KG had no problem teaming up he just did not want it to be with Kobe. Kawhi KD PG kind of did the same with Lebron. Kyrie left Lebron but joined KD.
    Last edited by ldawg; 12-04-2019 at 07:24 PM.

lolol. he didnt want to play in LA cuz they had stunk for years.

It does matter how a team is formed. Championships matter because superstars lead their team. If a team is so good that it doesn't matter if they have that superstar or any other star then it cheapens the championship. With the heat, you could have probably replaced LBJ with another star and that team would still likely win a few titles.
    Well, wade won with a much lesser version of Shaq so we already know we could replace Wade with Kobe for all 3 of those rings with Prime Shaq, and most likely won much easier because he’s such a better team player.

That's definitely not how I remember it. Do you have anything to back that up, that it was KG pulling the strings? I remember KG being very upset that they wanted to trade him and he didn't want to go, but eventually agreed. I'm glad to admit that I am wrong if you can provide a credible source that supports what you're saying.
    I cant believe even our resident Boston fan doesn't know this team. He LITERALLY came out and say he wished he had asked for the trade sooner. Even Anthony Davis come out and said "it makes you think" with regards to those kind of comments and how he feels about potentially wasting away in NOLA.

Its literally common knowledge, everyone in the business knows this, look up any article that even remotely references your POV.

Here are the ones that turned up with a simple google search. I cant copy browser links right not but Ill post the relevant quotes so you can look into it yourself.

Rachel Nichols interview:
    https://youtu.be/TJS52KsNAjc

Rachel knows the league, she brings up the fact that KG regrteted not wanting out sooner. AD's response
    “Yeah when you hear that, it makes you think,” Davis said of Garnett’s quote. “I’m not going to lie, it makes you think. You wonder if you’re following in that same path. But then again, you think this year could be the year. You don’t know. You just have to take it year-by-year and see. See where the team is going. What direction they want to go to and see where they’re headed.”

An article from TWIN CITIES.com from 2010

BOSTON — In hindsight, Kevin Garnett said, he wouldn’t have stayed 12 years with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

After Garnett’s Boston Celtics knocked LeBron James’ Cleveland Cavaliers out of the NBA playoffs Thursday night, Garnett reflected back on his own career while assessing what James should do now that he can become a free agent.

Noting the similarity in the two situations, Garnett said, “If I could go back and do my situation over, knowing what I know now with this organization, I’d have done it a little sooner.”

A twitter blurb on Paul Pierce and what he thinks about KG's mindset.
    "He says his only regret is not coming here five years earlier."

Not sure why PP would lie here.

ESPN on the Blockbuster deal
    The clincher, though, was Garnett's willingness to back off his well-chronicled refusal to play in Boston. Garnett's unwillingness to make a long-term commitment to the Celtics abruptly took this deal off the table in June

ESPN.com reported in June that Garnett would be hoping for a trade to the Phoenix Suns if he did have to leave the only team for which he has played. His reasons, according to sources: Garnett would prefer to play in a warm-weather city on a team with championship potential if he's forced to relocate. Another big factor: Garnett and Steve Nash have become good friends over the past few years, starting in 2005 when Garnett was one of the first players in the league to call Nash and congratulate him on his first MVP trophy.

WELL CHRONICLED. Literally anyone and everyone who was posting on boards like this back then knew about this. KG was the one dictating terms, nobody trades for a superstar who wants out without gaurantee he wants to be there long term, unless they are going all in like the Raps last year. The Twolve's were also not going to screw over their most beloved loyal icon, they were doing each other a solid. Heres a quote from the owner before trading KG.

"This would be a major trade that would affect a franchise and those in the organization, so you better be sure [he wants to be there long term]," Miller said last month after quashing the original trade.

There were 5 teams in the running and KG changed his stance on Boston AFTER they had acquired Ray Allen. IIRC theres a quote where he says something along of the line of, Allright, now we can do somethin. Before that, he wanted a warm city with a chance at making noise in the Loffs.

Heres then GM Chris Mullin on the near trade for KG.
    “It was basically done,” Mullin says. “I was doing an extension with [agent] Andy Miller on Kevin Garnett’s deal. KG liked Baron enough, and we had talked enough. He said, ‘Yo, I’ll do it.'”

Star Players tend to have a say on their trade requests, this is nothing new. Wilt and KAJ did it, Tmac gave the Magic a list of teams and they showed him their list and you work it out. Heres Danny Ainge thinking of Pierce/KG

Danny Ainge, Celtics GM: Because Kevin and I were such close friends, we had numerous conversations over the years [about Garnett]. We realized that Paul [Pierce] and KG would be a great combination. We thought that they really complemented each other well. So we discussed the possibility of Paul going to Minnesota or KG coming to Boston, like which way is the best way to do it.

Another snippet on Ainge from some Boston media
    The only problem was KG wanted nothing to do with Boston. He wanted warm weather and a chance to contend, not icy winters and the second-worst team in the league. Garnett (who had a player option the next summer) made it clear he wouldn’t sign an extension. In turn, Ainge wasn’t about to give up Al Jefferson and the No. 5 pick for a one-year rental.

Both sides walked away and turned attention to the draft.

In the meantime, Ainge never gave up on Garnett. He traded for Ray Allen. He stayed in Kevin McHale’s ear. Minnesota and Boston got close on another deal, only this time, when Ainge and KG met person, Garnett was more motivated to relocate. With Ray Allen on board, he thought the Celtics had a shot.

Long story short, the Celtics structured a deal that would work under the cap, assuming Garnett waived a portion of his trade kicker. Garnett agreed, and the Celtics turned to the only other sticking point in the negotiations. An extension. A legally binding assurance that Garnett was in for the long haul.

They needed a rare extend and trade to even get KG, which means KG would have to extend as a T'Wolve

Jefferson averaged 16 and 11 with 1.5 blocks before he was traded to the wolves (and was super young). His first year there, he averaged 21 and 11 with 1.5 blocks and 1 stl. Those are certainly all-star caliber numbers. Malone had an all-star caliber year before joining the lakers, but did not produce anything near that as a laker. How is what I said far fetched? I said Jefferson was an all-star caliber player. He was. Malone with the lakers was not.
    Yeah I saw your post, it was quoted remember. What you said was literally incorrect as even a PEAK Jefferson never made the All-Star game, it was just comical how he said it was one of ur go to expressions on those all-star "caliber" guys . Truth is, Karl Malone, even at his advanced age was more productive than young Al Jefferson coming from Boston. Of course he didn't post whatever irrelevant numbers your novice approach looks at, he was 3rd in the pecking order and played a far different, yet crucial role. Check his winning% with Shaq, Jefferson was never that kind of difference maker.

He had the potential for sure but he had obvious deficiencies he never really improved on and could hold a team from realizing their max potential. But yeah he eventually became an All-Star caliber guy, just funny is all.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Well, wade won with a much lesser version of Shaq so we already know we could replace Wade with Kobe for all 3 of those rings with Prime Shaq, and most likely won much easier because he’s such a better team player.
    Not true because we seen Wade lose to the Spurs by the most points in the history of the finals. Don’t see why it’s going to be different this time? Wade had Lebron and it wasn’t close. Is Shaq that much of difference for Wade to beat the Spurs?

Lakers eliminated the Spurs 4 times and Kobe led in scoring all 4 times. Kobe had the Spurs number.

Not true because we seen Wade lose to the Spurs by the most points in the history of the finals. Don’t see why it’s going to be different this time? Wade had Lebron and it wasn’t close. Is Shaq that much of difference for Wade to beat the Spurs?

Lakers eliminated the Spurs 4 times and Kobe led in scoring all 4 times. Kobe had the Spurs number.
    Wade averaged less than 20PPG that year, was often hobbled. And you bring up names like Shaq and Bron? lol, so his context added was that it was an Old Shaq that Wade won with and you counter by bringing up old Wade to combat his stance? Yeah you should rethink this.

Yep prime shaq and flash could have won 3 titles. I am sorry but as good as shaq and Kobe duo was the underachieve.