Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 557 of 559 FirstFirst ... 57457507547555556557558559 LastLast
Results 8,341 to 8,355 of 8376
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Wilt wouldnt be scoring 50 and getting 30 rebounds on Shaq, thats for damn sure.

This is why I have a hard time judging players and teams from different eras of any sport, evolution makes everything so much different.
    Yeah, probably not putting up 50 and 30 against shaq, but wilt was incredible and had an otherworldly motor for someone his size.
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 06-25-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    How many 1960s laker games have you watched?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Didnt see any 1960's Laker teams on that list
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    The Bulls were pretty dominate at the start of the second 3 peat still I thought they were pushed a little more and it was more competitive. The flip side of that is they had the greatest closer the game ever saw so even if was more competitive he was going to rip your heart out
    I thought the Jazz were pretty tough, but as I said I was just getting into basketball at that time so everyone told me the Bulls were going to win because that's just what MJ always did.

But yeah, the Lakers and Warriors (with KD) were the two teams where I felt them winning was a given absent an injury to a star.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    With out Ray you take away one of Lebron rings, so yes I have to include him. He wasn’t Seattle Ray but he still hit some huge shots for them. And also I included Odom but I don’t really think Odom was that great tbh.

Now I’m not saying Kobe is better. I am admittedly bias because I simply respect Kobe more. But at the same time I am aware that Lebron is the better player. I just simply respect Kobe’s mentality way more.
    Make sure you mention Horry and Phil for Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I thought the Jazz were pretty tough, but as I said I was just getting into basketball at that time so everyone told me the Bulls were going to win because that's just what MJ always did.

But yeah, the Lakers and Warriors (with KD) were the two teams where I felt them winning was a given absent an injury to a star.
    https://twitter.com/stevenkelsey13/s...784269318?s=21

This might have something to do with why i feel they were less dominant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Kobe was clearly the better player to me. He had to do his work in a different era when the rules didn't penalize teams for playing defense. Plus he still has one more ring, and he didn't quit on his team to become a ring chaser.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by callmeDro View Post
    Kobe was clearly the better player to me. He had to do his work in a different era when the rules didn't penalize teams for playing defense. Plus he still has one more ring, and he didn't quit on his team to become a ring chaser.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Lol. With a prime Shaq he shoulda had more than just one more over Lebron (who’s still playing). And are you trying to tell me that if Kobe was drafted to that Cavs team with that idiot cheapskate Gilbert running the show, he’d have stayed for 20 years like he did with the Lakers, who he forced his way on to, got immediately gifted a top 5ish player ever (where I assume it was known that he was coming and who he eventually ran off), AND threatened to leave?

And it’s not even like Lebron joined that Celtics team or Kobe/Gasol in LA or even those Bulls or Pacers teams. He started something new with Wade and Bosh, started something new with Kyrie and Love (remember, the Cavs were the worst team in professional sports when he went back yet that was “ring chasing” {you do know ring chasing refers to guys who aren’t what they used to be that coattail ride onto others to get a ring….like Gary Payton and Karl Malone tried to do and failed with Kobe}) and joined a bunch of youngins in LA so he could be closer to Hollywood for his post-career endeavors.

But there’s more of that context that seems to be ignored for some reason when it comes to these two players by one side, it seems.

But sweet Vette, Dro. I remember when cool cars got me hard in middle school.

Quote Originally Posted by callmeDro View Post
    This needs to be highlighted, but Kobe also benefited from rules being more relaxed on D during his prime. His best scoring seasons came after those rule changes actually, but he did show glimpses of ability to score at that level prior to the change, during the so called "dead ball era".

Lebron on the other hand never faced any real trouble and he played in an era where even dribbling violations were ignored!

Cannot believe this is still going on... And cannot believe how many people still live in this Lebron bubble...

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    This needs to be highlighted, but Kobe also benefited from rules being more relaxed on D during his prime. His best scoring seasons came after those rule changes actually, but he did show glimpses of ability to score at that level prior to the change, during the so called "dead ball era".

Lebron on the other hand never faced any real trouble and he played in an era where even dribbling violations were ignored!

Cannot believe this is still going on... And cannot believe how many people still live in this Lebron bubble...
    If you're argument has to do with the era the player played in, you're argument is not an argument but rather a typical "in my day things were better " rant

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    If you're argument has to do with the era the player played in, you're argument is not an argument but rather a typical "in my day things were better " rant

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Not exactly. I think it depends on what points are being made to support that kind of idea. In this case, I don't think that's the argument being pushed. I think certain styles of play and certain types of rules make it easier or harder for certain players with different skill sets and attributes (and this depends on the types of players in the league along with how the game was being played and the rules at the time). I think this is why we need to account for statistical inflation when comparing players from different eras (pace of play or per 100 possessions is not a good way to do it because the output is not necessarily dependent on number of possessions, but rather on the opportunities that were there based on the style of play and rules at the time). For example, I don't think players like Curry or Harden would put up anywhere near the output they do in the current league if they were playing anytime in the league prior to 06, when the league majorly changed how refs should enforce the hand check rules (I think the rule was changed in 03, but wasn't enforced strictly until 06). I think if certain all-time greats played in the league today, they would put up numbers that would be wilt-like and kobe is certainly one of those, imo, along with guys like Bird and MJ, AI (maybe McGrady).
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 06-27-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Not exactly. I think it depends on what points are being made to support that kind of idea. In this case, I don't think that's the argument being pushed. I think certain styles of play and certain types of rules make it easier or harder for certain players with different skill sets and attributes (and this depends on the types of players in the league along with how the game was being played and the rules at the time). I think this is why we need to account for statistical inflation when comparing players from different eras (pace of play or per 100 possessions is not a good way to do it because the output is not necessarily dependent on number of possessions, but rather on the opportunities that were there based on the style of play and rules at the time). For example, I don't think players like Curry or Harden would put up anywhere near the output they do in the current league if they were playing anytime in the league prior to 06, when the league majorly changed how refs should enforce the hand check rules (I think the rule was changed in 03, but wasn't enforced strictly until 06). I think if certain all-time greats played in the league today, they would put up numbers that would be wilt-like and kobe is certainly one of those, imo, along with guys like Bird and MJ, AI (maybe McGrady).
    scoring inflation has to do with raw three point volume more than anything, and the ripple it has on driving and passing lanes

the Wilt like numbers for older players in today's league is total clownery though. Not nearly enough evidence to support that kind of claim.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Yea no problem, but he played with Kobe the whole time he was there.

We've debated this all star caliber term before. Good players with Lebron but didn't make all star teams you reference as all star caliber. Odom falls into that category. But to be fair I didn't bring him up s&w did.
    Odom made an All-Star team, he just never made one with Kobe. Ironically, his best playing days came alongside Kobe but the West was, as usual, stacked and voters prolly cared more about per game averages than efficiency back then.
    Random Highlight of the Month: * RARE - Zo DUNKS on Shaq *

Quote Originally Posted by VCaintdead17 View Post
    scoring inflation has to do with raw three point volume more than anything, and the ripple it has on driving and passing lanes

the Wilt like numbers for older players in today's league is total clownery though. Not nearly enough evidence to support that kind of claim.
    Yeah the idea that players would be dropping 50 PPG in today's league is comical.

It's funny to me that people say LeBron would struggle with a more physical league. Dude is massive, he would have been fine in a more physical league.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Then why didn't he? He played several years after the rule change and he certainly never put up Wilt like numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by VCaintdead17 View Post

Well some of those guys put up borderline Wilt-like numbers (on the low end a few years), even more so if we were to scale up for scoring inflation so I don't think it's that outlandish. It would be impossible to guard certain guys and those guys had great mid range jumpers so either they would get practice level shots throughout the game (which would probably be enough) or they would get completely open driving lanes or end up taking even more free throws than they did in their primes. A guy like Kobe or MJ scoring an extra 3-5 pts a game from their prime seasons would probably put them in the 40s somewhere (especially when accounting for what those prime seasons would be with the inflated scoring).