Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Welcoming the most compelling arguments in the NBA GOAT debate

Summary

• Chamberlain (9), Jabbar (9), Jordan (7), and James (10) are the only players in NBA/ABA history to finish with at least 7 MVP seasons (MVP seasons = single season combination regular and post season performance determined by value shares metric)
    • Jordan and James are the only players in NBA/ABA history to be the top performers in the Finals "six" times, and the entire postseason "seven" times
    • Michael Jordan from 1988 - 1993 registered the highest peak performance in NBA/ABA history according the value shares

• Jordan played in 37 playoff series in his NBA career. He was the top performer in 100% of each series dating back to 1985. James, in forty-five career playoff series is 2nd among qualifiers finishing as the top performer in 78% of the playoff series he participated in.
    • Jordan's peak value and unsurpassed consistency in the playoffs are enough to edge out James' longevity so far in their careers, if you as I do, place emphasis on the Finals and Postseason performance

My blog link goes into some depth about my conclusion.

https://matthewmurphy1.wordpress.com/2020/06/22/417/

I have no issues with any of this... things that never get taken into account though is the fact Jordan couldnt win without a super team..

- Jordan without pippen

Regular Season: 154-170 (47.5%)
    Playoffs: 1-9 (10%)

Pippens record without Jordan:

Regular Season: 295-185 (61.4%)
    Playoffs: 19-21 (47.5%)

-Jordan never faced anyone in the finals as good as the spurs/warriors

The weird thing about people holding LeBron's finals losses against him is how getting to finals is worse than getting bounced in the first or second round. It's as if he was not making it to the finals those years and getting bounced early it would be better for legacy in their minds. This honestly blows my mind. So if Jordan made it to the finals in first 6 years of his career and lost, it would hurt his legacy even though he ended up with 6 rings eventually? In what planet this argument makes sense Stephen A Smith?

Playoff totals in 6 final runs:

Jordan-
    Rebounds: 719
    Assists: 622
    Steals: 218
    Blocks: 91

Pippen-
    Rebounds: 908
    Assists: 642
    Steals: 244
    Blocks: 111

Pippen leads Jordan in total rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, and was the better perimeter defender. Please tell me again why we aren't giving Pippen more credit but Jordan fanboys claim Jordan was some God.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post

Jordan-

Pippen-

Pippen leads Jordan in total rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, and was the better perimeter defender. Please tell me again why we aren't giving Pippen more credit but Jordan fanboys claim Jordan was some God.
    Exactly. Jordan was amazing but not beyond debate.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    I have no issues with any of this... things that never get taken into account though is the fact Jordan couldnt win without a super team..

- Jordan without pippen

That’s one way of looking at it. There’s also the fact that he had to figure out how to get by 2 of the greatest teams ever assembled (Celtics and Pistons) all while he was still in his early 20’s on a team that was nowhere near those teams levels.

LeBron is ultimately going to pass Jordan and it’ll be because of his longevity. One thing that never gets talked about is how Jordan took a 1 year and 3 year break. LeBron plays every year and most likely will until he’s 40.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    That’s one way of looking at it. There’s also the fact that he had to figure out how to get by 2 of the greatest teams ever assembled (Celtics and Pistons) all while he was still in his early 20’s on a team that was nowhere near those teams levels.

LeBron is ultimately going to pass Jordan and it’ll be because of his longevity. One thing that never gets talked about is how Jordan took a 1 year and 3 year break. LeBron plays every year and most likely will until he’s 40.
    His longevity is one for sports history. He's never missed a damn playoffs game. That's just mind-blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post

Jordan-

Pippen-

I think a lot of people overhype that 55-win Jordan-less Bulls team from 1993-94. If you take a closer look at the point differentials, the pythagorean win expectation was set for 49 or 50 wins. Toni Kukoc alone hit three or four buzzer-beaters during the regular season. Without Kukoc, the Bulls likely lose to the Knicks in five games in 1994. He was not present on the 1992-93 team with Jordan.

In the 24 NBA Finals games won by Jordan and Pippen, Jordan was the most valuable player in 23 of them. I argue for Pippen in Game 5 vs Lakers although Jordan had a great close-out game as well. Jordan shut down Magic in the 4th qtr in the 1991 Finals.

LeBron James has won 22 NBA Finals games in his career. James was the most valuable player according to value shares in 19 of them (Wade G3 vs Mavs, Irving G5 vs 2016-17 Warriors, Anthony Davis G1 vs Heat).

It just seems Bron had a little more help during his Finals run although his Finals opponents were tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel20 View Post
    I think a lot of people overhype that 55-win Jordan-less Bulls team from 1993-94. If you take a closer look at the point differentials, the pythagorean win expectation was set for 49 or 50 wins. Toni Kukoc alone hit three or four buzzer-beaters during the regular season. Without Kukoc, the Bulls likely lose to the Knicks in five games in 1994. He was not present on the 1992-93 team with Jordan.

In the 24 NBA Finals games won by Jordan and Pippen, Jordan was the most valuable player in 23 of them. I argue for Pippen in Game 5 vs Lakers although Jordan had a great close-out game as well. Jordan shut down Magic in the 4th qtr in the 1991 Finals.

LeBron James has won 22 NBA Finals games in his career. James was the most valuable player according to value shares in 19 of them (Wade G3 vs Mavs, Irving G5 vs 2016-17 Warriors, Anthony Davis G1 vs Heat).

It just seems Bron had a little more help during his Finals run although his Finals opponents were tougher.
    It seems that way but it isn't true-

MJ had a revolutionary offense, was able to go against man 2 man defense, had Pippen, Rodman, Grant, Harper, Kerr, Paxson, Grant, Armstrong, deep benches, and the best coach in nba history.

All against sub part finals opponents and a strong east.

I shouldn't have to be seemingly discrediting Jordan, he doesn't deserve it. But there is a debate to be had without a doubt at this point.

Click here to register!

https://youtu.be/VfKTJqFa3go

LeBron is going after his damn respect.

Jordan might not be the “Jordan of Basketball” once James takes that damn respect again next season.

Welcoming the most compelling arguments in the NBA GOAT debate

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    It seems that way but it isn't true-

MJ had a revolutionary offense, was able to go against man 2 man defense, had Pippen, Rodman, Grant, Harper, Kerr, Paxson, Grant, Armstrong, deep benches, and the best coach in nba history.

All against sub part finals opponents and a strong east.

I shouldn't have to be seemingly discrediting Jordan, he doesn't deserve it. But there is a debate to be had without a doubt at this point.

You forgot about Stacy King and JoJo English

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjorge View Post
    https://youtu.be/VfKTJqFa3go

LeBron is going after his damn respect.

Jordan might not be the “Jordan of Basketball” once James takes that damn respect again next season.
    What a loser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post

- Jordan without pippen

MJ had Pippen,Cartwright,Grant and Cartwright as his fellow starters and won 3 rings with these guys but you clueless Bronsexuals call it a superteam.
    This is almost as ridiculous as your belief that Rodgers is the GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by bledrules View Post
    MJ had Pippen,Cartwright,Grant and Cartwright as his fellow starters and won 3 rings with these guys but you clueless Bronsexuals call it a superteam.
    This is almost as ridiculous as your belief that Rodgers is the GOAT
    It was an amazing, deep team. 2nd 3peat was more stacked but the first was as well. Also had to face man to man defense, AND had the best coach of all time.

Click here to register!

LeBron is becoming unbearable to listen to anymore. I wish he’d keep his damn mouth shut sometimes. It’s like he makes **** up to motivate himself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast