Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 73

Thread: Zack Wheeler

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    64,081

    Zach Wheeler

    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Yeah I dont know thats enough so the next question is to replace wheeler with an equivalent or bettrer, what is the cost in talent or money? Factor in the likelihood of Syndergaard rebounding. I think mets gotta offer Wheeler more.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iíll just take the pick then. I donít believe heís worth big money/years to that extent. They already replaced him with Stroman. Now we need to find a guy to replace Vargas (hopefully better).

    If Syndergaard bounces back to low-tier TORP, then the pitching staff is more than fine. He needs to rediscover his hard slider that went missing too many times in 2019. Thatís his best strikeout pitch.

    The bullpen and defense/baserunning are the most pressing concerns to me than the rotation.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,659
    Matt Ehalt
    @MattEhalt

    If Mets were gonna keep Noah all along, why trade for Stroman when you could keep your prospects and just re-sign Wheeler (who is the better pitcher)?

    Now they're down two prospects (and a potential stud) and kept the lesser pitcher.
    Last edited by Claymation; 10-08-2019 at 12:12 PM.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Shea Stadium
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    He is a FA , you cannot trade a FA
    I dunno, these days i'm sure you can find a stupid GM to go for it.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    20,483
    Wheelerís gonna sign with the Astros for 4/75 and come 3rd in AL Cy young next year


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Shea Stadium
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Iíll just take the pick then. I donít believe heís worth big money/years to that extent. They already replaced him with Stroman. Now we need to find a guy to replace Vargas (hopefully better).
    Just hope we don't hear "Jeff, get your butt out of the dumpster!"

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Matt Ehalt
    @MattEhalt

    If Mets were gonna keep Noah all along, why trade for Stroman when you could keep your prospects and just re-sign Wheeler (who is the better pitcher)?

    Now they're down two prospects (and a potential stud) and kept the lesser pitcher.
    This doesn't really track, because the Mets could have easily been without Stroman and Wheeler for this upcoming year. There is no guarantee that Wheeler is/was going to re-sign with the Mets.

    Wasn't it reported that they had explored an extension with Wheeler? If the Mets FO felt/feel like that wasn't gaining any traction, then why wouldn't they soften the blow by getting another reliable starter?

    Stroman is also still a trade candidate, if the Mets season is tanking by the trade deadline. Given that he is in his walk year, he would be well-served putting together a good start to the 2020 season.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Matt Ehalt
    @MattEhalt

    If Mets were gonna keep Noah all along, why trade for Stroman when you could keep your prospects and just re-sign Wheeler (who is the better pitcher)?

    Now they're down two prospects (and a potential stud) and kept the lesser pitcher.
    This answer isn't obvious to you? Its because the Mets don't have any intentions on giving Wheeler anything but a QO and probably short changing him on a long term deal where he goes elsewhere. They brought in Stroman as a hedge in the likelihood that they lose Wheeler.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-08-2019 at 02:13 PM.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,659
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    This doesn't really track, because the Mets could have easily been without Stroman and Wheeler for this upcoming year. There is no guarantee that Wheeler is/was going to re-sign with the Mets.

    Wasn't it reported that they had explored an extension with Wheeler? If the Mets FO felt/feel like that wasn't gaining any traction, then why wouldn't they soften the blow by getting another reliable starter?

    Stroman is also still a trade candidate, if the Mets season is tanking by the trade deadline. Given that he is in his walk year, he would be well-served putting together a good start to the 2020 season.
    While that is correct, Wheeler has indicated that he would like to resign with the Mets.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,659
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    This answer isn't obvious to you? Its because the Mets don't have any intentions on giving Wheeler anything but a QO and probably short changing him on a long term deal where he goes elsewhere. They brought in Stroman as a hedge in the likelihood that they lose Wheeler.
    For one year at the cost of two prospects.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    For one year at the cost of two prospects.
    Yeah because the Mets don't like to spend money. Trading for Stroman is cheaper than giving Wheeler 80-100 million or more dollars.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,659
    Stroman should cost the Mets 12-13 million next year.
    I'd be shocked if it was less.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Stroman should cost the Mets 12-13 million next year.
    I'd be shocked if it was less.
    Still less expensive that what they would have give Wheeler over the next 4-5 years. It was pretty obvious what the trade was when they made it. It was part a hedge to cushion Zack walking.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,868
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Still less expensive that what they would have give Wheeler over the next 4-5 years. It was pretty obvious what the trade was when they made it. It was part a hedge to cushion Zack walking.
    Of course. Absolutely.
    ďIt is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.Ē -- Teddy Roosevelt

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Matt Ehalt
    @MattEhalt

    If Mets were gonna keep Noah all along, why trade for Stroman when you could keep your prospects and just re-sign Wheeler (who is the better pitcher)?

    Now they're down two prospects (and a potential stud) and kept the lesser pitcher.
    My biggest issue with Brodie is the total disregard for our top prospects. I understand taking a chance under the right circumstances(like the Cespedes trade in 2015). Obviously the Kelenic trade is the biggest blunder. Unless we were getting a all star every day player or top pitcher Kelenic should have been untouchable. The Stroman deal is still a head scratcher. Iím not as upset at losing Kay as I am of losing Woods who I think has a very high ceiling

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,745
    They have no intention of offering Wheeler anything more than the QO which is why they brought in Stroman. Wheeler is the better pitcher. And trading 2 prospects for 1 1/2 year of Stroman is a bad decision - unless you win a World Series in that time frame.

    It's not a bet I would have made but one I certainly hope pays out.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •