Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Zack Wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Does anyone think 4/70 gets Wheeler back for the Mets?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    No
    OK. Do you think they should let him walk then? Is he really worth more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    was thinking 4/72 so maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that's reasonable, and I would hope that both sides would consider that. I think if he is going to get Corbin money the Mets should move on.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Great post. Exactly my sentiments. I think Jake Odorizzi for example will be significantly cheaper than Wheeler and would he a great replacement.

I want absolutely no part of Wheeler for around $100m. Iíd give him 5/$75m tops, but Iíd prefer 4 years. I donít believe 2 above average seasons after years of being hurt/ineffective warrant anything more than that. I hope the QO diminishes his market and he comes back.
    Agreed. I also like Odorizzi as a possible replacement.

OK. Do you think they should let him walk then? Is he really worth more than that?
    He may settle for 4/70 but he will "settle" for that when all of his competitors in the market are gone. He will stick to 100M for as long as he can.

I think the Mets need to deal in a position of strength here. Ideally we can get a #2 or #3 but we also aren't hurt too much by getting a #5 here. We should capitalize on one of the other options who may just want to sign early (Keuchel or Gio would be my picks because of what they just went through. Odorizzi works too) and get the low risk low reward guy

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    He may settle for 4/70 but he will "settle" for that when all of his competitors in the market are gone. He will stick to 100M for as long as he can.

I think the Mets need to deal in a position of strength here. Ideally we can get a #2 or #3 but we also aren't hurt too much by getting a #5 here. We should capitalize on one of the other options who may just want to sign early (Keuchel or Gio would be my picks because of what they just went through. Odorizzi works too) and get the low risk low reward guy
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post

4/70 isnít even cheap. Thatís $17.5m per season. Iíd rather give him the extra year for like $75m if possible and lower that AAV overall.

I agree with getting one of those guys you mentioned to replace him.

4/70M is cheap in today's market though... Especially for a guy who has ace type potential, is under 30 years old, had two straight years with around 4 WAR and two straight years with a stellar second half. If you are the Astros and you can sign Wheeler for 4/70, you take it any day. Cause next thing you know, he will be a Cy Young candidate year in and year out with that team

Does anyone think 4/70 gets Wheeler back for the Mets?
    I was a big Wheeler guy, thought he was the best of the bunch but injuries and inconsistency makes me just to want to move on and hope that they develop other guys to take his place.

I was a big Wheeler guy, thought he was the best of the bunch but injuries and inconsistency makes me just to want to move on and hope that they develop other guys to take his place.
    It is tough though. Because with that said, he for a second straight year was VERY SOLID In the second half which made the overall numbers very good. He is inconsistent and injury prone for sure, but you're talking about 180-200 innings pitcher who gives you around 4 WAR for under 20M a year. That's not a bad deal in today's market

I hear that. There is also the question of whether the Mets should readjust their focus/budget to be more offense/BP centered.

They have tried having a top tier 1-5 rotation and it hasn't yielded the consistent results they had hoped for. Perhaps its time for a different roster construction philosophy?

I hear that. There is also the question of whether the Mets should readjust their focus/budget to be more offense/BP centered.

They have tried having a top tier 1-5 rotation and it hasn't yielded the consistent results they had hoped for. Perhaps its time for a different roster construction philosophy?
    Yeah

They will have to pay some of their young offensive guys.

The problem with the Mets is they won't adjust their philosophy. They'll just keep the money not spent on Wheeler or make some 2nd or 3rd tier acquisition as his replacement. If they aren't re-signing Wheeler, most of that money should be going on fixing the bullpen. That won't guarantee fixing it though.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345