Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 73 of 73

Thread: Zack Wheeler

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    99,913
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Does anyone think 4/70 gets Wheeler back for the Mets?
    No

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    No
    OK. Do you think they should let him walk then? Is he really worth more than that?

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    was thinking 4/72 so maybe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that's reasonable, and I would hope that both sides would consider that. I think if he is going to get Corbin money the Mets should move on.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,639
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Great post. Exactly my sentiments. I think Jake Odorizzi for example will be significantly cheaper than Wheeler and would he a great replacement.

    I want absolutely no part of Wheeler for around $100m. Iíd give him 5/$75m tops, but Iíd prefer 4 years. I donít believe 2 above average seasons after years of being hurt/ineffective warrant anything more than that. I hope the QO diminishes his market and he comes back.
    Agreed. I also like Odorizzi as a possible replacement.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    31,455
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    OK. Do you think they should let him walk then? Is he really worth more than that?
    He may settle for 4/70 but he will "settle" for that when all of his competitors in the market are gone. He will stick to 100M for as long as he can.

    I think the Mets need to deal in a position of strength here. Ideally we can get a #2 or #3 but we also aren't hurt too much by getting a #5 here. We should capitalize on one of the other options who may just want to sign early (Keuchel or Gio would be my picks because of what they just went through. Odorizzi works too) and get the low risk low reward guy

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,639
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    He may settle for 4/70 but he will "settle" for that when all of his competitors in the market are gone. He will stick to 100M for as long as he can.

    I think the Mets need to deal in a position of strength here. Ideally we can get a #2 or #3 but we also aren't hurt too much by getting a #5 here. We should capitalize on one of the other options who may just want to sign early (Keuchel or Gio would be my picks because of what they just went through. Odorizzi works too) and get the low risk low reward guy
    Yes.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    63,923
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    He may settle for 4/70 but he will "settle" for that when all of his competitors in the market are gone. He will stick to 100M for as long as he can.

    I think the Mets need to deal in a position of strength here. Ideally we can get a #2 or #3 but we also aren't hurt too much by getting a #5 here. We should capitalize on one of the other options who may just want to sign early (Keuchel or Gio would be my picks because of what they just went through. Odorizzi works too) and get the low risk low reward guy
    4/70 isnít even cheap. Thatís $17.5m per season. Iíd rather give him the extra year for like $75m if possible and lower that AAV overall.

    I agree with getting one of those guys you mentioned to replace him.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    31,455
    4/70M is cheap in today's market though... Especially for a guy who has ace type potential, is under 30 years old, had two straight years with around 4 WAR and two straight years with a stellar second half. If you are the Astros and you can sign Wheeler for 4/70, you take it any day. Cause next thing you know, he will be a Cy Young candidate year in and year out with that team

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    99,913
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Does anyone think 4/70 gets Wheeler back for the Mets?
    I was a big Wheeler guy, thought he was the best of the bunch but injuries and inconsistency makes me just to want to move on and hope that they develop other guys to take his place.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    31,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I was a big Wheeler guy, thought he was the best of the bunch but injuries and inconsistency makes me just to want to move on and hope that they develop other guys to take his place.
    It is tough though. Because with that said, he for a second straight year was VERY SOLID In the second half which made the overall numbers very good. He is inconsistent and injury prone for sure, but you're talking about 180-200 innings pitcher who gives you around 4 WAR for under 20M a year. That's not a bad deal in today's market

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I was a big Wheeler guy, thought he was the best of the bunch but injuries and inconsistency makes me just to want to move on and hope that they develop other guys to take his place.
    I hear that. There is also the question of whether the Mets should readjust their focus/budget to be more offense/BP centered.

    They have tried having a top tier 1-5 rotation and it hasn't yielded the consistent results they had hoped for. Perhaps its time for a different roster construction philosophy?

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    99,913
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    I hear that. There is also the question of whether the Mets should readjust their focus/budget to be more offense/BP centered.

    They have tried having a top tier 1-5 rotation and it hasn't yielded the consistent results they had hoped for. Perhaps its time for a different roster construction philosophy?
    Yeah

    They will have to pay some of their young offensive guys.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    34,780
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    I hear that. There is also the question of whether the Mets should readjust their focus/budget to be more offense/BP centered.

    They have tried having a top tier 1-5 rotation and it hasn't yielded the consistent results they had hoped for. Perhaps its time for a different roster construction philosophy?
    The problem with the Mets is they won't adjust their philosophy. They'll just keep the money not spent on Wheeler or make some 2nd or 3rd tier acquisition as his replacement. If they aren't re-signing Wheeler, most of that money should be going on fixing the bullpen. That won't guarantee fixing it though.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •