Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 72
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,252
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I agree, but there’s no guarantee he can remain consistent over a full season. It would have been more encouraging if he became a more positive defender instead or an average one (more or less).
    Well now you're talking about my good buddy, the Zen Master. Based on what we saw from Rosario the last 2 and a half months or so, I don't touch him. Whether that turns out to be a mirage or a temporary burst of shortstop billiance, I wont say. But based on the SS he is right now, I don't touch him.


    The SS he was earlier in the season is no longer relevant.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    All 3 innings.
    Didn't even know it was that many.

    He looked much shakier than McNeil did when he first started playing the OF.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,252
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Has anyone ever successfully transitioned to CF from another position during their ML career? I mean to become a legit CF, not like what Conforto and Nimmo do.
    There've been a few.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,673
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    He might be, but again it goes back to which defensive metric you are using.

    Pillar has -4 DRS in 3075 career innings at SS so he is roughly average. But his UZR/150 over his career is -16.0 at SS. I didn’t realize it was that bad, but he has been improved over the last 2 seasons (SSS).

    Rosario has -31 DRS in 2983.2 innings and -2.1 UZR/150.
    Except Pillar only played in 658 in last year, had an uzr/150 of -3.6 and at 2nd had -11.5 733 inning.
    Rosario played in 1337 and had an uzr/150 of -0.6.

    Villar will get worse moving forward, Rosario should remain being an average defensive SS.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,673
    Rosario is an average SS, but he is the best defensive player the Mets have. McNeil is a close 2nd.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    100,163
    I would still explore that option because Gimenez may be a much better SS and if Rosario can adjust there to average you’re killing two birds with out having to go find one outside the organization.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I would still explore that option because Gimenez may be a much better SS and if Rosario can adjust there to average you’re killing two birds with out having to go find one outside the organization.
    I believe Gimenez will become a Reuben Tejada type of player.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Rosario is an average SS, but he is the best defensive player the Mets have. McNeil is a close 2nd.
    McNeil is a better defensive player than Rosario. Amed plays one position and does it in a suspect manner. McNeil can play multiple positions and be an average to above average defensive player at those positions.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,252
    Rosario is about as suspect defensively at short as Vargas was as a pitcher from late April until his trade in July.

    Sometimes you have to let go of the past along with your preconceived notions of who a player is and accept that he is no longer that player. Fact: Rosario is now an outstanding shortstop.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,253
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Rosario is about as suspect defensively at short as Vargas was as a pitcher from late April until his trade in July.

    Sometimes you have to let go of the past along with your preconceived notions of who a player is and accept that he is no longer that player. Fact: Rosario is now an outstanding shortstop.
    There are still things you see that you don't like. He has a hard time with balls to his left, he's not good at recognizing the speed of the baserunners he's throwing out, and his instincts are only okay. Not saying he didn't improve throughout the course of the season. He did and I think he'll be decent there but I still think McNeil is a better defensive player.

    He's basically a better version of Ben Zobrist. Super underrated.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    100,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I believe Gimenez will become a Reuben Tejada type of player.
    Nah, his tools are better, don’t think he will light the world on fire on offense, but I can see a few .750+ ops seasons in him.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,673
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    McNeil is a better defensive player than Rosario. Amed plays one position and does it in a suspect manner. McNeil can play multiple positions and be an average to above average defensive player at those positions.
    Amed is an average SS, McNeil is a slightly below average fielder everywhere besides 3rd.
    McNeil dWAR -0.8, Amed dWAR of 5.9.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Amed is an average SS, McNeil is a slightly below average fielder everywhere besides 3rd.
    McNeil dWAR -0.8, Amed dWAR of 5.9.
    McNeil was a 5 DRS at 4 positions last year. Rosario was a -16 DRS at one.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,673
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    McNeil was a 5 DRS at 4 positions last year. Rosario was a -16 DRS at one.
    Apples and Oranges. As I wrote McNeil dWAR -0.8, Amed dWAR of 5.9.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Apples and Oranges. As I wrote McNeil dWAR -0.8, Amed dWAR of 5.9.
    It's not. You're using BR defensive WAR. I'd rather use Fangraphs because its more accurate imo.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •