Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Yet Beltran was one of the best players to ever play and perform as a NY Met.

Say what you want about his personality, but don't you guys think his general demeanor and level way of doing things has something to do with why he was so successful here as a player?

He's not a chair thrower. He's not Mr. Personality in front of a camera. But where is the evidence that such people actually make great managers or win titles?

I always have reservations about great players knowing how to coach mediocre ones. But beyond that, I'd have no reservations about hiring Beltran. And I'd actually welcome his level headed way of going about things, and his general cerebral approach to the game.

Don't worry. He's got this.

The more I look at it, the more Bogar and Perez are becoming my top candidates.

Perez is just like Beltran except has. A more developed and well rounded baseball acumen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Yet Beltran was one of the best players to ever play and perform as a NY Met.

Say what you want about his personality, but don't you guys think his general demeanor and level way of doing things has something to do with why he was so successful here as a player?

He's not a chair thrower. He's not Mr. Personality in front of a camera. But where is the evidence that such people actually make great managers or win titles?

I always have reservations about great players knowing how to coach mediocre ones. But beyond that, I'd have no reservations about hiring Beltran. And I'd actually welcome his level headed way of going about things, and his general cerebral approach to the game.
    Beltran is a wild card. Again, my knee jerk was that he's too quiet, too much an introvert to fight the daily battle of the New York press corps. But he's also smart, sensitive, knows baseball as well as anyone in the universe, has always led by example, and commands respect.

I never would have thought that he'd want to manage. He certainly knows what the job entails. He must think he can handle it. Whether he can or not only the Zen Master knows.

But he's as deserving a shot as anyone.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Today's great managers have to be great communicators. They have to be able to address many audiences: the reporters, the players, and the front office. They need the patience to answer annoying questions about things theyd just as soon forget about since nothing can be done about them anymore. And it's not just about making decisions. He has to be able to then explain all the factors that went into those decisions.

Obviously I never met Carlos Beltran. I don't know him. But in his time with the Mets, his personality did not seem to mesh with the job details I described above. But even more obviously, he knows himself much better than I do. So if he thinks he's right for the job, I'm sure as heck not going to be the one to tell him otherwise.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    The more I look at it, the more Bogar and Perez are becoming my top candidates.

Perez is just like Beltran except has. A more developed and well rounded baseball acumen.

Why them over Giradi

I mean I like Beltran and he may well turn out to be good, but we thought the same of Calloway. Point is, he's a wildcard. Boom or bust. Unknown. Girardi is much better known and much more likely to be successful than beltran right out of the gate. Im not sure why it's even a debate. this team is ready to take the next step, why are we dicking around with another manager that has no experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Why them over Giradi
    Because Joe Beningo wants Joe.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Why them over Giradi
    Perez is the most analytically savvy out of all them. I’ve made my thoughts on Girardi pretty clear, I’m afraid he’ll hijack the clubhouse and rub players the wrong way.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Perez is the most analytically savvy out of all them. I’ve made my thoughts on Girardi pretty clear, I’m afraid he’ll hijack the clubhouse and rub players the wrong way.

And hes not bilingual!!

Girardi has never done that.

People get too worked up about Girardi no matter how they discuss him. He's either so amazing the Mets have to hire him, or he's so toxic they shouldn't touch him.

He was a good manager who probably, likely many people in their first job, came across as a bit too brash or controlling - this is not unusual for first time leaders in any industry. He could easily grow and mature upon reflection of his time as the Yankees manager and resolve any of those "personality" issues.

He could also prove himself to be not-quite as good as advertised as a skipper. He had a very young but very talented team as Yankees manager. So it is entirely possible he's not as great as some people believe.

I want the right manager for the 2020 Mets. I don't care what they've done in the past so long as their skills match our needs as a team now.

Don't worry. He's got this.

And whether that is Girardi or someone else remains to be seen. We don't know yet. We can't know yet. And the thing is, we won't know until after they're hired and the manager starts managing. Until then it's just so much guessing.

But for the moment, I'm fine right now with Girardi, Beltran, Perez, or Bogar. Let's not forget we're talking about a manager here, folks. There's only so much the man can do, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    And whether that is Girardi or someone else remains to be seen. We don't know yet. We can't know yet. And the thing is, we won't know until after they're hired and the manager starts managing. Until then it's just so much guessing.

But for the moment, I'm fine right now with Girardi, Beltran, Perez, or Bogar. Let's not forget we're talking about a manager here, folks. There's only so much the man can do, anyway.
    Isn't it interesting that in all sports the leader of the team, football, hockey, and basketball he or she is called The Coach, but in baseball he or she is called The Manager. It says something.

Isn't it interesting that in all sports the leader of the team, football, hockey, and basketball he or she is called The Coach, but in baseball he or she is called The Manager. It says something.
    This might be the single most brilliant piece of insight I've ever come across.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    This might be the single most brilliant piece of insight I've ever come across.
    https://youtu.be/1yu5F_cAjvs

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast