Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    I think one of Holt or Sogard would do. I don't really see the need for both and didn't like 4.5 mill for Sogard to begin with. I agree though that seems like we have 5 guys who play 2B/3B when Hiura will have 2B locked down. Not a fan of 3 out of 4 positions on infield basically being a platoon. I hope Urias can be up quickly. I want to see him get regular PT.
    Not only 3 of 4 but theyll at least be a sort of soft platoon in the OF as well for Braun and Garcia. I think both will get plenty of playing time and braun has been a guy who gets more off days lately, but getting guys at bats is going to be interesting.

If we really look at it, this team very much feels like a video game team. In video games, hot streaks don't matter and getting in a groove doesnt matter. Optimizing your lineup to win each game and not worrying about how that impacts guys long term doesn't matter. But in real life, that stuff matters. So it'll be interesting to see how CC handles it. I know guys like sogard and holt have had plenty of bouts of inconsistent playing time, so they may be more comfortable in platoons but well find out.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Not only 3 of 4 but theyll at least be a sort of soft platoon in the OF as well for Braun and Garcia. I think both will get plenty of playing time and braun has been a guy who gets more off days lately, but getting guys at bats is going to be interesting.

If we really look at it, this team very much feels like a video game team. In video games, hot streaks don't matter and getting in a groove doesnt matter. Optimizing your lineup to win each game and not worrying about how that impacts guys long term doesn't matter. But in real life, that stuff matters. So it'll be interesting to see how CC handles it. I know guys like sogard and holt have had plenty of bouts of inconsistent playing time, so they may be more comfortable in platoons but well find out.
    I actually think Smoak will bounce back. I think Garcia is going to play most games in RF. 5 out of 7. He is in his prime. Braun gets 450 ABs-ish. Hiura plays everyday at 2b. Not sure how some of these guys fit on roster tbh. Arcia doesn't start well and could put Sogard at SS. Urias too when ready. 3B can be Gyorko/Sogard to start year with Holt giving guys days off regularly and being swiss-army knife utility guy. Ben Gamel can make reservations for SA most likely. Healy doubt makes the team but if healthy at least he has some pop at 3B..

Thing with Garcia is that he's kind of an enigma. By wRC+, his seasons go 98, 101, 86, 88, 138, 93 and 112. So if we get the 112ish version of Garcia, I could see him taking a big portion of the at bats. But if it's the 90ish version, then smoak and Braun could out perform him and jump on some at bats.

But I think as a whole, that's kind of my issue. Smoak could bounce back. We could get the good version of Avisail. Gyroko could bounce back. Sogard could bounce back. No one could majorly regress. Urias could take off. Arcia could bounce back. Holt could be an every day guy. But the odds of all of those things or even most of those things happening seems slim. And I get that's part of the reason why we signed so many guys. We really dont need sogard, gyroko and holt to be very good, you just need 1 to be pretty good and 1 to be solid. But it just feels like we need every thing to go right. And I just don't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Thing with Garcia is that he's kind of an enigma. By wRC+, his seasons go 98, 101, 86, 88, 138, 93 and 112. So if we get the 112ish version of Garcia, I could see him taking a big portion of the at bats. But if it's the 90ish version, then smoak and Braun could out perform him and jump on some at bats.

But I think as a whole, that's kind of my issue. Smoak could bounce back. We could get the good version of Avisail. Gyroko could bounce back. Sogard could bounce back. No one could majorly regress. Urias could take off. Arcia could bounce back. Holt could be an every day guy. But the odds of all of those things or even most of those things happening seems slim. And I get that's part of the reason why we signed so many guys. We really dont need sogard, gyroko and holt to be very good, you just need 1 to be pretty good and 1 to be solid. But it just feels like we need every thing to go right. And I just don't see that happening.
    Sogard was very good last year and nothing in the career of Arcia suggests a bounce back. But overall I agree. If this team is going to get back to the playoffs it seems they need a lot of things to go right. Don't love the rotation either. Feels like a touch above .500 squad right now to me. 83-79 type.

5 year extension for Peralta. He allegedly added a slider to the arsenal this offseason and it looked pretty good in the dominican league. If he can curb the walks and have good enough breaking balls to not have to throw his heater 80% of the time, he could be a breakout candidate. Our rotation is a bit scary, but if Peralta breaks out and is at least an average #3 type, that would go a long ways in shoring it up aittle.

Peralta might be a big upgrade if he can throw more than a fastball and it seems Burnes has had a good start to camp. This might sound weird but what about a 7 man rotation where we 4 pitchers share 2 games. We could maybe even expand that if you count Suter.

1)Woodruff (Suter pitches 2/3 innings in relief)
    2)Anderson/Burnes Between the 2 they go 7 or 8 innings
    3)Houser
    4)Lindblom (Suter goes 2/3 innings in relief)
    5)Peralta/Lauer Between the 2 they go 7 or 8 innings

With designated relievers who go 3/4 innings we could 1) limit work load on younger pitchers and Anderson 2) Give Peralta and Burnes a chance to reach their ceiling 3) Move an ineffective starter out of the rotation without having to stretch someone out or bring up a minor leaguer. 4)With the extra roster spot still have enough reliefers to cover the rest of the innings. 5) Pair softer tossing lefties with flamethrowing righties.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    Peralta might be a big upgrade if he can throw more than a fastball and it seems Burnes has had a good start to camp. This might sound weird but what about a 7 man rotation where we 4 pitchers share 2 games. We could maybe even expand that if you count Suter.

1)Woodruff (Suter pitches 2/3 innings in relief)
    2)Anderson/Burnes Between the 2 they go 7 or 8 innings
    3)Houser
    4)Lindblom (Suter goes 2/3 innings in relief)
    5)Peralta/Lauer Between the 2 they go 7 or 8 innings

With designated relievers who go 3/4 innings we could 1) limit work load on younger pitchers and Anderson 2) Give Peralta and Burnes a chance to reach their ceiling 3) Move an ineffective starter out of the rotation without having to stretch someone out or bring up a minor leaguer. 4)With the extra roster spot still have enough reliefers to cover the rest of the innings. 5) Pair softer tossing lefties with flamethrowing righties.
    The Brewers are going to have bridge guys. They will not take up 8 innings most likely 90 percent of the time. Also doubt you account for 2/3 of an inning. Suter can be a bridge multi-inning guy. I assume with Anderson they will have a contingency plan and maybe Burnes is it. If Peralta has added to his arsenal that is huge. Can't be a starter with two pitches but three getting there and if you just have a fourth to throw here and there he can be good. Could start in pen this year but he's trending upward and deal could be a massive steal.

Brewers pen going to be wild. Wahl could be a 7th inning guy, Rasmussen could be an interesting choice, 99 mph cheese plays. Black has 99 heater. Knebel is a ? Hader. Then the bridge guys.

Who you think is going to make the club position player wise? LoMo hitting dingers might actually make team as a PH. But doubt it as Stearns loves and almost needs some defensive versatility so won't have 3 1B...

Don't remember exactly where I read it but sounds like they entered camp not expecting burnes to really compete for a starting spot. It sounded like the expectation was woodruff, houser, lindblom and Anderson were almost shoe ins and the final spot was going to mostly be Lauer vs Peralta with the loser as a pen guy. Sounded like burnes was a pen spot or down to AAA to stretch out.

I meant 2 or 3 not 2/3 of an inning bad grammar on my point.

LoMo would be nice to keep but I agree he really only plays 1st at this point (not going to play in left). I think Urias starts in the IL. So 13 bats might look like Narvaez, Pina, Smoak, Huira, Arcia, Sogard, Holt, Gyorko, Braun, Garcia, Yeli, Cain, Gamel. I doubt LoMo makes it unless someone else gets hurt or they cut Gyorko or something.

I think Gamel has option left? Not sure I see much PT for him available. I mean 5 OFs could be but PT going to be scarce for Gamel. Holt can also play out there. But one injury and suddenly it's a need but Cain may need more rest this year, so idk.

If it's between Lauer and Peralta rather have Peralta in the pen. Lauer jag. Peralta can be an elite reliever imo if he has a slider. Still not sure his curve or secondary pitches really are good enough for the rotation. I think he could be a great 2 or 3 inning guy. He is what 24. Will see though, if his slider and curve can be above average and just throw change for show basically, could be tough for starter innings also.

Anyone else actually think the Brewers could have a very good bullpen? Peralta, Wahl, Rasmussen, Knebel, Hader, Perdomo, Burnes? are all guys I can see pitching 7th inning or later with regularity. Some guys are unproven but I could see Perdomo being somewhat dominant. Wahl was a steal and coming off injury but could be good. There are a lot of coulds but I am actually feeling pretty good about the pen. Pens are volatile but there are a lot of guys on the Brewers with plus stuff.

I think they eventually will but it might take most of the year to try everyone and weed out some of the guys who can't cut it. Now days just about 75% of bullpen arms throw 95+ so you need more than just throwing hard to find sustained success. However we do have 7 or 8 premium arms in the pen so I don't think it would be crazy to see 4 of them become regular late inning quality arms. I still am hopeful Burnes and Peralta can be quality starters, I am pretty sure Peralta will get that chance at some point with the extension he just signed.

I could see Gamel getting sent down and the Crew rolling with 4 OF's. Yeli can play center when Cain rests and Holt and Sogard can play out there no problem, not to mention LoMo if he would be the one pushing Gamel down. I still prefer over LoMo, Gamel was just to clutch even as a pinch hitter or runner, and defensive replacement he has more value than LoMo as a 3rd 1st baseman and pinch hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    I think they eventually will but it might take most of the year to try everyone and weed out some of the guys who can't cut it. Now days just about 75% of bullpen arms throw 95+ so you need more than just throwing hard to find sustained success. However we do have 7 or 8 premium arms in the pen so I don't think it would be crazy to see 4 of them become regular late inning quality arms. I still am hopeful Burnes and Peralta can be quality starters, I am pretty sure Peralta will get that chance at some point with the extension he just signed.

I could see Gamel getting sent down and the Crew rolling with 4 OF's. Yeli can play center when Cain rests and Holt and Sogard can play out there no problem, not to mention LoMo if he would be the one pushing Gamel down. I still prefer over LoMo, Gamel was just to clutch even as a pinch hitter or runner, and defensive replacement he has more value than LoMo as a 3rd 1st baseman and pinch hitter.
    I would use this year for Peralta to work on his pitches. Kind of like Hauser. Started in pen but if he shows enough growth with secondary pitches then let him start.

Gamel meh. He's fine but nothing special. He had some big hits early on but overall he is easily replaceable as a 4th OF. He's not a starter. He is solid defensively. But if the Brewers cut him I'm fine, if they keep him I'm fine. Normally I would say not much of a chance for LoMo, but there really isn't LH thump off the bench at all (if Smoak starts). Smoak/Braun, Holt, Sogard/Gyorko, Pina are bench guys probably....zero LHH pop if Smoak is in.
    Last edited by gopackgo87; 03-07-2020 at 03:03 AM.

I think some of the proposed rule changes for a shortened year will really help this team. The global DH and expanded rosters especially. We have played extremely well the past couple years when September call-ups start, our generally strong bullpen depth will help a ton. Also having Braun DH most days will allow for maximizing our line-up, I'm assuming Braun and maybe occasionally Logan Morrison will be a stronger DH than most NL teams will have (at least by not making another position weaker). Also having a fully healthy Urias and a close Knebel is big for me, I am done with Arcia.

Cain, Braun, Yeli, Huira, Garcia, Smoak, Urias, Narvaez, Sogard/Gyroko/Holt looks pretty nice
    Having a couple extra pen spots could allow some upside players like Shelby Miller, Angel Perdomo, Bobby Wahl, JP Feyersian or a long shot like Drew Rasmussen to get a shot and add to our late/multiple inning options.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast