Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hader had a rough finish. Seems two have only two pitches and struggles to get the second over the plate. If they pull the trigger Iíd hope itís a franchise altering move. Weíll see

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I just can't imagine really getting anything of value for arcia. Of players with at least 1500 at bats since he's been in the league, his wRC+ is the 3rd worst (only Billy Hamilton and alcides Escobar have been worse). And in that same sample set, only 5 players have a worse fWAR.

And part of the issue with him is that he has no bat and really only has experience playing 1 defensive position, so he's not a super valuable utility guy. I'm sure he could handle 2nd too, but he doesn't really have much experience at it.
    Iíd think that arcia could play 3rd or 2nd. Neither would be ideal IMO. Positions like C and SS are positions that you can get away with less offense if the defense is solid. 3rd would need more offensive production than probably what Arcia could provide. 2nd just wouldnít make sense unless Keston gets hurt. Uriasí error rate was alarming last year. The middle infield could be pretty shaking with those two. With Moose signing with the reds. Maybe Urias plays 3rd, arcia at SS. Keston at 2nd possibly Braun at 1st. Ray/Gamel in left, Cain and Yellich round out the remaining out field spots?

With the Money they are saving something still has to be in the works.

There are some reports that the brewers are looking to trim payroll. Not sure how true those are, but even if they are looking to cut space, they have money to spend. Right now, I think with arb expectations, the payroll is around $70-75 mill. So we are probably $50 mill short of last year's payroll or so. So even if we're looking to trim payroll, we could reasonably say we have $35-40 mill left to spend.

By my calc, we probably at a bare minimum need 1B and 3B yet. I can't imagine going into the season with what we currently have at those spots. I'd think we'd sign a catcher, but if we spend money elsewhere, it's feasible that we could go into the year with Pina/Nottingham/frietas, but not ideal. Braun could play some 1st, but that liekly means another OF needs to be added.

Realistically, we do have 6 guys who could compete at starter with Woody, Houser, burnes, Peralta, suter and Lauer, but I think it's aged to believe we end up with those guys as the starters. Probably need to add at least 1.

Currently, with Hader still in the mix, Hader, knebel, black, Wahl, D Williams and maybe Yardley isn't an awful start to the pen. Add in probably Peralta and at least 1 of suter or lauer and I think we're probably only looking at 1 or 2 spots in the pen.

So really with $35-50 mill were probably looking at 1B, 3B, C, SP, SP or RP and RP as our biggest needs. Given the market, C will probably be a cheapish vet ($3 mill or less probably.) Given the bloodbath at the non tender deadline, I think we can probably fill 1st for relatively cheap ($5 mill or less for a thames quality type I'd think.) And I'm sure we'll try at least 1 reclamation project type of pitcher for cheap.

So of those needs, I think you can possibly fill C, 1B and the SP/RP role for $8-10 mill. So that leaves $25-40 for 3B, SP and RP.

With all the non-tenders we should have plenty of money to spend on other players. We are definitely not rebuilding just re-tooling to make this a team that can compete for more than a year or 2. We should have around 50 or even 60 million to spend on FA's or in trades. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the team made a pretty good profit last year so I can't see Attenasio oking a rebuild. I feel like it make sense to turn Hader into 2 or 3 high potential pieces. Most of the moves so far are just cutting the fat, Shaw and Nelson were just to risky to pay nearly 10 million. Claudio losses a lot of value with the 3 hitter rule and Guerra was a little of a head scratcher but he is replaceable.

I wouldnt be shocked if at least some of those guys are back later in the offseason to be honest. It's a terrible time to be those 1 to maybe 2 WAR types of players unless youre pre arb or maybe in your first year of arb. If you're projected to make more than $5 mill, teams seem to cast you aside and then you get signed to a smallish deal right before camp.

Kinda sucks for those guys. They don't make as much as they used to. But it makes putting a team together a bit easier in the regard, knowing that theres legit major league talent to be had for cheapish late.

Bullpen does look like it could be pretty solid with Hader. Wahl and Knebal coming back could be very nice additions from last year. Iíd expect some solid adds late into the offseason to round out the rest of roster. I think there was a report that the brewers extended themselves with their payroll last year. Not shocked their cutting, back just have to trust the process at this point.

Yeah I can see a little cut back, I think we were at 122.5 to start last year and closer to 130 by the end of the year. I could see starting around 115 but I would be truly disappointed if they cut more. There was almost 3 million in attendence and 2 years in a row playoffs, that shouldn't equal a huge pay descrease.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    Yeah I can see a little cut back, I think we were at 122.5 to start last year and closer to 130 by the end of the year. I could see starting around 115 but I would be truly disappointed if they cut more. There was almost 3 million in attendence and 2 years in a row playoffs, that shouldn't equal a huge pay descrease.
    Baseball payrolls are weird. No one really knows the numbers, but it is possible they operated at a loss last year. I doubt it, but we unfortunately don't know. So I would tend to agree, a $10+ mill pullback would be a disappointment would suck but it's hard to say.

But I guess how the pullback happens kind of matters to me though too. If they acquire some young guys who will need some raises in the near future, a small pullback isn't crazy. If they go into the season with obvious holes and only bring in a few short term vets, it's going to be disappointing.

Brewers acquired C Omar Narvaez from Seattle. The rumor is it costs us a minor league (Adam Hill) and a competitive balance pick, which is presumably the comp round B pikc we got yesterday.

The book in Narvaez is that he's a left hitter who's a pretty good hitting catcher. His defense kinda stinks though. In 2018 he was a horrible defensive catcher. Last year, he was closer to just bad. So maybe there's still a little room for growth for him on defense.

All in all, looks like a platoon mate for pina. Solves catcher on the cheap I think, which theoretically should allow us to spend on some bigger deals. And I dont think it's going to end up costing us much.

I love the trade, Hill isn't much and the comp. pick has some value but not a ton. Narvaez seems like as good of a hitter as Grandal (based on the past 2 years). His defense, by the stats, is not very good but overall what a great deal. We don't lose anything from our farm system and he won't cost much $.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    I love the trade, Hill isn't much and the comp. pick has some value but not a ton. Narvaez seems like as good of a hitter as Grandal (based on the past 2 years). His defense, by the stats, is not very good but overall what a great deal. We don't lose anything from our farm system and he won't cost much $.
    Yeah seems like a solid deal as well. Iím worried we might be one of the worst defensive infield teams in the league but hard to argue with the offensive production from him as long as that doesnít dip.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234