Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    We signed Brett Anderson, another decent value deal but from the perspective of competing in the playoffs meh.

The Rangers basically gave up a good young reliever for Corey Kluber, I'm sure we have 17 million and could have put together a better package. Devin Williams, Ben Gamel, and a mid level prospect would probably have been as good or better.
    Two things with kluber. Either the league as a whole is more concerned about his injury or decline than i am/we are or the Indians are absolutely in love with that reliever. I actually think it might be the 2nd one though. Some of the rumors of who they were asking for from other teams seem to indicate they were looking for top end guys.

Yeah, Clase throws an easy 100, but I still think we could have found a better package than 1 hard throwing reliever and a throw-in 4th OF.

We signed Avi Garcia 2/20 yesterday. I really don't like this signing much. I feel like it was an overpay for a medicore player in a stacked corner OF market of similar player. I much rather would have paid Nic Castallanos 4/60 and had a decent middle of the order bat or a guy like Corey Dickerson or Kole Calhoun at a cheaper price.

Garcia in all likelihood will be a decent player hit around .275-.300 not many walks 20-25 HR's. He appeared to get better at least statistically in the OF but I remember him being awful with the White Sox. He seems to have decent speed but 6'4 250 doesn't scream great baserunner. There is some upside but not much more than the other 5-8 corner OF's who haven't signed yet.

Brewers signed Ryon Healy and Jace Peterson. Nice depth moves, Healy has some upside just based on power, I would think he could be a nice platoon option at 1st. Peterson isn't much but another Tyler Saladino type depth player. I think we are up to 38 players on the 40 man, although there are 3-4 that could easily be cut. I doubt we get Kuechel or Ryu the only 2 top of the rotation starters left so maybe Stearns has a trade in the works. With the 1st/3rd market not real strong I'm sure we will here something there shortly although I would guess Braun plays a great deal of 1st.

Any chance Braun gets traded? It seems like we could trade him for a 3B with a bigger salary. With his 10/5 rights I would guess it would be still extremely hard to trade him. Here is a 3 team deal that could work.

Brewers get Kyle Seager Angels get Braun Seattle gets prospects (maybe eats a bit of Seager's contract). We get a good 3B, Angels make a great lineup (on paper) and Seattle sheds some salary and picks up a little prospect value. Braun might wave his trade protection to go to LA, not have to play 1st, and be able to DH a bit (when Pujols and Otani aren't).

With Smoak the team basically has a acceptable 26 man. Obviously we aren't done but we kind of have every spot covered.

Vs Righties 1)Cain CF 2)Sogard 3B 3)Yeli LF 4)Huira 2B 5)Braun/Garcia RF 6)Smoak 1B 7)Narvaez C 8)Urias SS
    Vs Lefties . 1)Cain CF 2)Urias 3B 3)Yeli LF 4)Huira 2B 5)Braun 1B 6)RF Garcia 7)Pina C 8) Arcia SS

Bench) Healy (if healthy), Gamel

Rotation-Woodruff, Anderson, Houser, Lindblom, Lauer
    Pen- Hader, Knebel, Peralta, Suter, Claudio, and 3 of D Williams, Black, Faria, Wahl, or Burnes

I guess now I'm holding out hope for a massive haul in a Hader trade to salvage the offseason. I don't know that any individual move we made was bad per se, and I get why we didn't sign some of the guys who got signed. But it really felt like we got caught with our pants down. Not sure if we were anticipating a slow market and thought we'd be able to steal someone on a short term deal, but at some point, we have to spend. We can't just keep peice mealing crap together on 1 year deals and hoping it all comes together perfectly.

Agreed Crewfan, I can't say this team is any better than last year and the long term future doesn't look real great. It seems a quantity over quality approach which is probably needed at this point of our small market pattern with no farm system. I can't see the sign 7 or 8 1 year contract guys and get 5-6 of them to work out actually be successful for more than a year. It makes for an interesting offseason but we will need some young guys to really develop fast or come out of nowhere to sustain success.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345