Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    So, my favorite part of baseball is here. The offseason. Team has a lot of holes and limited dollars so what do we do to fill it up?

Braun I think remains the starter in left with the ability to play first base. Grishem did not prove to me he's worth of a full time starting OF spot. I like Grishem as the 4th outfielder.

I think we likely bring back Moose but most likely its going to take a longer than 1 year deal. Likely going to be looking at a 3-4 year deal worth $40-50M.

I'd love to bring Grandal back, but I think the market for him will be too strong. We are going to need to go bargain hunting. Call me crazy but I like the idea of bringing back Stephen Vogt. Guy can flat hit, and while he's not much defensively he's basically the opposite of Pina. You play whichever catcher the matchup favors.

SS is a problem, but I think we'll most likely stick with Arcia. There just isn't a strong enough free agent market at SS. Hold down the fort as SS with what we have (between Arcia and others) and hope Turang is the future.

Starting pitcher, I think we need to add 2 arms. I like Madbum as my first choice. He's proven he can carry a team in the playoffs so I like having that experience. He's much more of a sure thing than Odorizzi. I'd like to add a second arm as well, depending on where else we decide to spend I could see us going as high as a Kuechal, but someone more like Roark may be more realistic.

The bullpen needs help as well. I don't think we need to spring for Will Smith, we already have a strong lefty with Hader and Smith will command big dollars. Give me Will Harris Steve Cishek. Assume Knebel comes back and Suter maintains his level of success. Hope for a Burnes bounceback and this pen could be elite with a few additions.

2020 lineup.

1. Cain - CF
    2. Braun - LF
    3. Yelich - RF
    4. Huira - 2B
    5. Moose - 3B
    6. Shaw - 1B (placeholder until I'm more clear with what we're doing at first)
    7. Pina/Vogt - C
    8. Arcia - SS
    9. Woodruff

I was reading an article about the Red Sox that they might have a hard time keeping Brock Holt, Holt wants to stay in Boston but they have such extreme financial limitations Holt might be gone. If he is available I would be willing to overpay for a guy like him (a bunch of teams probably would).

I also saw a couple people predicting Didi Gregorious to get around 3-40 to 45. I keep going back and forth on Didi but at 3/42 or so I would probably try and grab him. I do worry that his profile has been inflated by hitting in Yankee Stadium.

So assuming 50 million here is my new wishlist after the recent moves.
    Cut/Non Tender Shaw and Nelson
    1) Resign Moose 3-36
    2) Sign Didi 3-42
    3) Sign Kuechel 2/30
    4) Sign Smoak or Thames 1/4 (with incentives)
    5) Sign Holt 2/10
    6) Minor league or minimal salary to Danny Salazar and/or Matt Harvey (turn into relievers) and Jonathan Lucroy

1)Cain 2)Didi 3)Yeli 4)Huira 5)Moose 6)Braun/Smoak or Thames 7)Braun/Grisham 8)Pina/Lucroy (Obviously that order will change alot based on left/right matchups)
    Bench=Holt, Luc, Gris, Gamel, Saladino (or someone off the scrapheap)
    1)Woodruff 2)Kuechel 3)Davies 4)Houser 5)Suter
    Pen=Hader, Knebel, Peralta, Devin Williams, Claudio, Guerra, Black, Suter/Faria/Burnes/Salazar/Harvey

Not bad probably to heavy on bats and not arms. Probably trade Arcia for a decent arm that has struggled.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    I was reading an article about the Red Sox that they might have a hard time keeping Brock Holt, Holt wants to stay in Boston but they have such extreme financial limitations Holt might be gone. If he is available I would be willing to overpay for a guy like him (a bunch of teams probably would).

I also saw a couple people predicting Didi Gregorious to get around 3-40 to 45. I keep going back and forth on Didi but at 3/42 or so I would probably try and grab him. I do worry that his profile has been inflated by hitting in Yankee Stadium.

1) Resign Moose 3-36
    2) Sign Didi 3-42
    3) Sign Kuechel 2/30
    5) Sign Holt 2/10
    6) Minor league or minimal salary to Danny Salazar and/or Matt Harvey (turn into relievers) and Jonathan Lucroy

1)Cain 2)Didi 3)Yeli 4)Huira 5)Moose 6)Braun/Smoak or Thames 7)Braun/Grisham 8)Pina/Lucroy (Obviously that order will change alot based on left/right matchups)
    Pen=Hader, Knebel, Peralta, Devin Williams, Claudio, Guerra, Black, Suter/Faria/Burnes/Salazar/Harvey

Not bad probably to heavy on bats and not arms. Probably trade Arcia for a decent arm that has struggled.
    No chance they bring back Lucroy. There's more bad blood involved with him than Taylor Swift.

Brewers decline Thames option and trade Anderson to Toronto for a power potential AA prospect.

I am a little surprised on Thames but it sounds like the team is going to try and sign him to a cheaper deal or a comparable 1B at a lower rate. I think this can be a good pass on Thames, there is a long list of 1B options but none other than Jose Abreu are much better than Thames. I could see maybe a guy like Justin Smoak being a lower cost option and then resigning Grandal to platoon at 1st kind of like the end of last year.

I am very happy we were able to get something for Anderson, I was pretty sure we would just have to cut him loose and swallow the option price. The prospect doesn't sound like much but it sounds like he has great power potential.
    Yea Anderson was basically trade him to avoid his $500k buyout and get a lotto ticket.

Thames was odd to me. The fact the had a $1 mill buyout is what makes it strange. You basically have to sign a 1B for less than $5 mill to gst any really noticeable savings. And even then, saving $1-2 mill doesn't seem worth the risk of they like him. To me, signing him or another vet 1B seems like a plan B. I have to imagine they have some aggressive targets and that's why they wanted all the money they could get. Otherwise it's a bit of a head scratcher.

1) Resign Moose 3-36
    2) Sign Didi 3-42
    3) Sign Kuechel 2/30
    5) Sign Holt 2/10

Not opposed to holt, but in this scenario, he doesn't make a ton of sense. You signed or have starters or platoon guys at every position. If you have smoak/thames and braun/grish for 1B and LF, there's not many starts there for him. Hiura needs a defensive replacement, but he's an every day bat. If you're signing didi and Moose to those deals, they're 130+ game starters. There's really not alot of room for holt to legit play. If you're signing a guy like holt, I think it means you're going light somewhere else. Like sign holt and try to go with shaw at 3rd in a platoon where holt can play other positions too but you can count on him starting 2-3 days at 3rd per week in addition to his fill in duty.

Good point on Holt with the strong IF, switch him with a reliever or back-end starter.

Rule 5 draft coming up. We added Corey Ray and JP Feyereisen to the 40 man. Ray was a no brainer with the open space and his overall talent. I like JP, he went to Stevens Point and has great stats. If I remember correctly he throws around 95 and would be a good player to send back and forth. I would think Zack Brown gets moved to.

Yaz signed with the White Sox, maybe McCann would be available for a trade.

Also traded for a utility infielder from Cleveland who might have some more upside at the plate than Perez.

What about trading for Wilson Ramos, I keep seeing the Mets connected to every catcher. I know his defensive isn't great but he can hit and his contract is pretty good. I guess my choose at this point would be Travis D'Arnaud, he showed some of his upside and I like that he can play a little 1st (not that we would want him to play there much).

Travis d'Arnaud is an interesting option at catcher. He has an injury history, which I think is both good and bad. Bad in the sense that it's a concern he would be injured if signed. But good in the sense that even though he's 30, he really doesn't have a huge workload. I wouldnt be shocked if he's a guy who could have a mini breakout.

I'd have loved to see Grandal come back, but oh well. It was a heavy contract.

After that I don't see much point in chasing. Not sure there's much on the market better than Pina. I somewhat think defensive catchers are overrated these days though. Teams don't steal like they used to and even if they do, there's not much of an impact. I prefer chasing someone who can hit and maybe play first.

I still like Vogt. You can get him for next to nothing and you can have him split time with Pina depending on matchup. He's a lefty and can play first.

I'd rather not spend money and a slight upgrade at catcher. Give me a reliever instead.

Throwing out runners is such a small part of defensive play for a catcher though. Pitching framing, blocking and handling a pitching staff is super important. A guy like vogt really doesnt do alot of that stuff well anymore. Pina is a good defensive catcher but I'd be willing to chase more of a bat if you can get some better defense than a vogt.

D'Arnaud got 2/16. I doubt any catcher other than maybe Chirnos gets more than that. I prefer Jason Castro and Alex Avila over Vogt but would be fine going back to the Pina/Vogt platoon. I would paid a couple million more for Castro or Avila but not much.

A's possibly trading Blake Trienen, Jurickson Profar, and Josh Phegley. All 3 could be interesting for us, I don't like Phegley much however. Trienen would probably cost a decent prospect but could really be a great weapon, he and Knebel would allow Hader to back to his multi-inning role from like 2018. I also really like Profar as a utility player, he will make around $5 million and wasn't great last year but I still think is some decent upside there and he could play SS or 3B if we decide to give Shaw or Arcia another chance and they fail. Profar did cost the A's 4 decent pieces last year but nothing of extreme value. Maybe we could package Trienen and Profar but I have no idea what the package would look like.
    Last edited by jay87shot; 11-27-2019 at 10:36 AM.

By my count we currently have 36 on the 40-man, and could non-tender Shaw and Nelson (I think the deadline is Monday). Also there are easily a couple guys like Tyrone Taylor and Taylor Williams who could be cut if we need room. What if we don't add any top free agents and get like 6-7 mid-level free agents or trade targets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast