Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: 2020 Draft

2020 Draft

I know it's been a bit since we actually drafted and it was an odd year for the draft, but I liked what we came up with.

Baseball Prospectus loved our draft as we consistently took guys rated comfortably above our draft position with basically every pick.

The Mitchell pick was a really good pick and good process assuming we get him signed. I know he was a guy scouts had a variety of opinions on, specifically his hit tool, but he has all the makings of a star. His floor should be relatively high. I think his floor is somewhere in the Keon Broxton range, although maybe a little less power. But he should be a good defender in CF and has really good speed. He's shown some good average, bat to ball skills, and pitch recognition. He's shown big power in BP, but not really in games. Either way he's a good combination of potential and floor. Worst case I think he should get close to the majors as an AAAA type player and best case truly is a mccutchen type of player.

My only issue with him is that we don't have a great track record in developing swings. Huira is one of the few hitters we've graduated from our farm recently to really hit, but that's sort of where he was at before we got our hands on him. Other than him, its hard to pinpoint anyone who's swing weve really developed. Mitchell can succeed without a massive swing overhaul I think, but to really truly be a star, he'll need a swing refinement at least. Not sure we are the best org at doing that.

As for the rest of the draft zamora is interesting. Some folks in the industry seem to think he could have worked his way into the first this year. I'm sure you can find that type of analysis about alot of guys, but that's always good to hear. Seems like he's a legit SS too, which usually has value.

Warren is a guy I really like too. I think there's a decent chance robotic strike zones are coming in the not so distant future. So pitch framing will be less valuable. Catchers may still need to call a game, but without pitch framing, teams may be able to get away with more offensive catchers. So taking guys with question marks about their defensive chops makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    As for the rest of the draft zamora is interesting. Some folks in the industry seem to think he could have worked his way into the first this year. I'm sure you can find that type of analysis about alot of guys, but that's always good to hear. Seems like he's a legit SS too, which usually has value.

Warren is a guy I really like too. I think there's a decent chance robotic strike zones are coming in the not so distant future. So pitch framing will be less valuable. Catchers may still need to call a game, but without pitch framing, teams may be able to get away with more offensive catchers. So taking guys with question marks about their defensive chops makes sense.
    Weimer and UL-L SS were meh picks for me but like the other 3 especially the first two but Mitchell far and away was my favorite pick. Very toolsy and if the power comes he will likely be a 20-20 guy as well as a great defender with a cannon arm in CF.

I'm the same and I'm sure it will end up being the last 2 picks that actually contribute because that's how things go.

But I loved the mitchell pick. He's far from perfect but if you made me put money on who the next brewer to win mvp not named Christian yelich is, I'd consider mitchell heavily. He's one of the few guys who actually had that type of ceiling. Hiura maybe does but I think his lack of defense sort of puts a ceiling on his upside.

My biggest worry is that he needs a swing adjustment and we stink at doing that. Hiura is one of the few hitters we developed recently and he was an advanced hitter when we got him. Grisham was supposed to be an advanced hitter too, and we almost screwed that up. Other than that, it's hard to really point out a guy we made adjustments on and who's had success. Harrison maybe but he was still a K machine when he left. So that's my big worry. He's a swing adjustment sway from unlocking crazy potential but we don't make great adjustments. Hopefully we figure him out. The good thing is he appears to have good plate discipline, which most of the other guys didn't have, so maybe that helps.