Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

2020 off season thread

With the NLCS beginning, it's time for us to move past the disappointment that was, and look forward to what comes next.

Our biggest free agents are

Ryu 17.8 mill
    Hill 16 mill
    Martin 3.5 mill
    Freese 6 mill

Though Freese has said he might retire, so we'll see.

Sign Rendon, trade Seager + specs for Degrom, Noah or someone on their level. Lux full time SS, Muncy 2nd base. Turner 1st base. Try to sign Cole, or Strasburg via letting hill and ryu walk. that pays for cole or stras.

but we know Friedman gonna sign Hill and Hamels, Miley to 3 years 39 year contracts. Probably gonna offer McCutchen 5 years 55 million now that he has a blown ACL. Typical Friedman signing. but who cares. Kershaw, Doc are still here. prepare for more post season failure next year with those 2.

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    Sign Rendon, trade Seager + specs for Degrom, Noah or someone on their level. Lux full time SS, Muncy 2nd base. Turner 1st base. Try to sign Cole, or Strasburg via letting hill and ryu walk. that pays for cole or stras.

but we know Friedman gonna sign Hill and Hamels, Miley to 3 years 39 year contracts. Probably gonna offer McCutchen 5 years 55 million now that he has a blown ACL. Typical Friedman signing. but who cares. Kershaw, Doc are still here. prepare for more post season failure next year with those 2.
    What pays for Rendon then, if all our savings are going to signing Cole/Strasberg?

Front line starting isn't really a need, with Buehler, Urias, Kershaw, Maeda, May, Gonoslin, Stripling all competing for spots, with Josiah Gray in AA plus Mitch White & Dennis Santanna in AAA.

That would be impressive of Friedman to offer McCutchen that contract considering that he's still under contract with the Phillies. Though I get the sentiment.
    Also, I'm fine with bringing Hill back on a one year low cost deal.

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    Trade Seager + specs for Degrom, Noah or someone on their level. Lux full time SS, Muncy 2nd base. Turner 1st base.
    On the subject of trading Seager I found this.

https://redlegnation.com/2019/10/11/...-corey-seager/

Interesting piece.
    A trade starting with Rasiel Iglasias and adding in legit top prospects could be worth it.

I am still not over the NLDS, but as I come out of my dark place to check the conversation, I think Dodgers do need to unload some of the talent on the roster to get that lock-down October pitcher that seems to have eluded us over this 7-year successful run, costing us a championship or two.

The Dodgers definitely need an antidote to the Kershaw curse. I keep going back to when the Astros picked up Verlander, while we chased after Darvish. We know how that worked out for us. Stats are one thing over a 162-game season, but a pitcher that is born with the grit and fire to dominate in the cold-air playoffs is rare...but it is what the Dodgers sorely need right now. I don't think it is Buehler (yet), but it surely isn't Kershaw, Ryu, Hill, Maeda or anyone else on the 2019 roster. I am not sure who that pitcher is...signing Cole, Strasburg, Bumgartner or trading for deGrom, but I wish we had an intense fastball grinder like Scherzer on the mound when the playoffs come around.

The Dodgers despite all the talent on this roster, in my observation, always suffer in the playoffs when they assume the LA glamour identity and become too "white glove"-like in approach to the game. Teams like the Red Sox, Giants, Phillies and Yankees had their great runs because they had gritty, dirty baseball players who knew how to step up in the high pressure moments. The Dodgers showed some of that over the last two years, but there was something this year that made me get the sense that they were just on auto-pilot. Hats off to the Nationals...as they played as if every game in the NLDS was a Game 7, and it was for them...the Dodgers looked as if they were simply waiting for the other team to lose.

The Dodgers are Buehler's team now. Kershaw needs to revamp and re-invent his approach as a pitcher. Maybe (like Maeda) he can be successful as how Smoltz transitioned from being a top-shelf starter into a great relief pitcher in his later career? I would like to see if Dustin May will be a home-grown Randy Johnson or a Carrot Top caricature? Ryu...great regular season pitcher...but he is fragile and I don't think he will ever be that dominant pitcher we need in the playoffs. Rich Hill can still be a reliable 5th starter to eat innings over the season, but I think we can (and should) find better.

Bullpen...yuck, yuck yuck. Maeda and Urias are the only ones I feel comfortable with coming in with the game on the line. Kenley best days are behind him...love him, but we need to find a new closer before all the wheels come off.

Bellinger...Muncy...Turner...Peterson...Seager.... is the backbone of this line-up and I would like to see them all stay and retire as Dodgers. But one of them has to be put up for a trade if that is what it to get the big-game, cold-weather playoff pitcher we sorely need. Smith, Lux and Verdugo are keepers. Kike, Taylor are great fill-ins....but everyone else is replaceable. One thing I would like to see the Dodgers get this off-season...is a lead-off base-stealer who can pressure pitchers on the bases. Launch-angle sluggers are great, but we risk being a one-dimensional long-ball team...which is entertaining during 162-game regular season, but doesn't always translate in the post-season.

Dave Roberts...sorry, but I love the guy. I think he is the perfect manager for the LA Dodgers. He just needs to quit giving the ball over to Clayton Kershaw in the playoffs.

Lastly, I feel that Tom Niedenfuer is out there somewhere with a smile of relief on his face...finally feeling the pressure come off him as Clayton Kershaw assumes the mantle of greatest Dodger playoff heartbreaker. Ok...going back into my dark place. See you again when pitchers and catchers report in 2020.

Go Dodgers!

I donít think the dodgers are trading seager but if they do they better get significant value for him. Yes he has had issues with staying on the field but when he is on the field heís one of the best young players in the game, at a premier position too.

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    I donít think the dodgers are trading seager but if they do they better get significant value for him. Yes he has had issues with staying on the field but when he is on the field heís one of the best young players in the game, at a premier position too.
    Yep, but some fans on here only go off of what they most recently saw and fail to take any context into account. Like the fact that Seager is in his mid 20s and has only played about 3 seasons of baseball with us because he missed almost all of last year. Or the fact that he's our most valuable position player behind Bellinger. Also not sure why people think Lux is more valuable than Seager. When Seager came up in a similar position to Lux, Seager vastly outperformed what Lux did this year (not even close, really; nothing against Lux of course, I think he has a bright future). When healthy, Seager is .300-plus hitter who can hit 25-30 home runs a year and plays solid defense...and he's only 25. Fortunately, Seager probably won't be traded anytime soon.
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 10-12-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    With the NLCS beginning, it's time for us to move past the disappointment that was, and look forward to what comes next.

Our biggest free agents are

Ryu 17.8 mill
    Hill 16 mill
    Martin 3.5 mill
    Freese 6 mill

Though Freese has said he might retire, so we'll see.
    Freese retired today. I don't think we'll bring back Hill and I'd say there is a 50-50 chance we bring back Martin. I think it's a toss up as to whether we bring back Ryu.

We don't have the room under the luxury tax to do much. $174.7M without options per baseball reference, lux tax will be $208M. Might be able to re-sign Ryu and grab a reliever at best. AJ Pollock contract makes no sense at all, we need a right handed bat that can hit lefties, front office gets a right handed bat that can't hit lefties. Dude is owed $56M still

http://dodgersdigest.com/2019/10/11/...cted-salaries/

Article on our arbitration figures, we really don't have that much space under the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Freese retired today. I don't think we'll bring back Hill and I'd say there is a 50-50 chance we bring back Martin. I think it's a toss up as to whether we bring back Ryu.
    If we bring back Ryu, I think we end up bringing back Martin too, since Ryu used him as his personal catcher.

If we bring back Ryu, I think we end up bringing back Martin too, since Ryu used him as his personal catcher.
    That's a good point

I think Ryu is as good as gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Our bench just got worse.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast