Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 52 of 88 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
    . Even with the great news about Cohen it was obvious The Mets were gonna go shopping at the bargain bin/ dollar store for at least one more year lol. Iím hoping that the report that says Cohen gets 50 percent once the deal goes through is true. At least we can have hope for next offseason
    I feel like weíve walked right past the bargain bin and are shopping at the Goodwill store

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The Phillies offseason might not be over yet. They're reportedly in heavy pursuit of Rendon and have interest in Cole and Strasburg. This is why I'm glad these Wilpons are out soon. They can't compete with teams like Philadelphia, Boston, LA, etc. I don't care their record was better than Boston or Philly last year. It won't continue happening if you can't bring in better talent.
    We have trouble competing with the Marlins

Not sure Betts would be that good of a move. He will likely get close to $20M in arbitration this year, not to mention he could be a FA after the season. Silver lining might be that the Mets could make QO and get a draft pick for Betts leaving. However, Betts OPS on the road (.853) was significantly less than at home. He may be a Fenway park hitter. The OF for the Mets already looks to be crowded and, if you minus Conforto, which some have suggested, Conforto you might actually be hurting the offense. Conforto was also much better at home. The downside for Conforto is he is vulnerable to LH pitching. However, last year, thanks to other players, the Mets hit lefties better than righties by a decent margin. Conforto, though vulnerable to lefities, hit RH pitching at a .926 OPS clip. Betts, though a RH batter, hit RH pitching at .945 OPS. Sounds good, but not when you think of Cespedes returning to help offset the balance against RH pitching.

I'm not saying that Betts is not an upgrade. I am saying that is not that significant of an upgrade and not a cost effective one. One thing we saw last year for the Mets was a surge in their offense. Ironic in that at the same time the pitching regressed. IIRC, the Mets score more than 60 more runs in 2019 than the previous year. So it kind of looks like offense is not the problem it had been the past few years, largely because of the loss of Cespedes. Add Cespedes returning and the offense is even more improved. If, let's say, Conforto is 85-90% of the hitter that Betts is, I'd rather pay Conforto half the salary of Betts for that.

And again, that low OPS on the road for Betts should be a concern.

I would not trade for Betts this year, wait for the off season of next year.

The probability that they should have the new Owner and a **** load of money coming off the books makes much more sense to go for him then.

In the end you get to keep the guys that you have at the major league level still here.

I donít want to trade for Betts. Our farm system had been decimated as it is. If Itís Cohens cash then it shouldnít make a difference we should be able to make a legit offer. Like I mentioned before I hope itís true that he gets 50 percent of the team right away

Yanks willing to spend 250 million on Cole.

Mets willing to spend on actual CY winner in Porcello!

Flexen goes to Japan.

I like the idea of Porcello coming here. Gives a firm 180 innings and 2 war capability. Probably a low to mid 4 era, but high home run numbers. Heís a New Jersey native and might take preference in signing close to home. Who knows.

On a 1 year 10MM with an option would be pretty good for both sides. Mets can see whether or not Stroman leaves to see whether or not Porcello is worth hanging on to.

Just fortify the bullpen.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Why the Mets have a boner for signing guys from the tri state area?

Quote Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
    You must have a short memory. This is the same guy who called up Sandy Alderson and pleaded to stay on the team despite nearly being traded. Even today he still gave the Mets one last chance to give him an offer but the Coupons refused. Saying the guy is not loyal isnít Accurate. Yes I hate that he went to Philly but I canít blame the guy for getting security. He was actually offered more by the White Sox but his wife is from Jersey
    He also gave the Mets a chance to a final offer.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    He also gave the Mets a chance to a final offer.
    What were the Mets going to say? Any interest in staying here for $30 million less?

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    He also gave the Mets a chance to a final offer
    . Agreed. Look i agree that the contract is a bit of an overpay BUT at least Philly is desperate to be competitive after a bad 2019. If we were smart or spent money we could have resigned him last year for mischief less than he got this year but I digress. Hopefully this is the final offseason where bargain bin shopping is used

they had to let Wheeler go. Beltran never could have managed the kid he was traded for....

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Why the Mets have a boner for signing guys from the tri state area?
    Families will attend when they pitch.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 52 of 88 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast