Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 70 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1622
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    “Come get us”
    Wrong team!

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Mets now viewed as unlikely to sign Betances. What a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Mets now viewed as unlikely to sign Betances. What a surprise.
    Betances was out pretty much the whole year with shoulder and then Achilles ailments, everyone one jumping on board to sign him is a little odd.
    Typically the Mets arent the place injuried players come and get healthy.
    He has a ton of milage and looks like he's breaking down.
    Why do the Yankees have no interesy on a 1 year deal?

These “owners” and GM are an absolute joke. Can’t wait for Cohen to finally be here and hire a experienced GM

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheKing30 View Post
    I mentioned it as one of the factors, as there is a few. The sole reason isn't because they are at the debt limit, but I believe that combined with the big loss in revenue makes them very conservative even more so than usual this off season.
    Now you're trying to save face, but I know what you said.

oops

Johnny Mathis said "Betances Are", Dellin will be a Met".!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit999 View Post
    Betances was out pretty much the whole year with shoulder and then Achilles ailments, everyone one jumping on board to sign him is a little odd.
    I keep hearing words "sweepstakes" and other similar terms thrown around, but they can't be accurate. Dude is going to get one year and roughly ten million. If there were as much interest as the media has been suggesting the last 24-36 hours, those numbers would both be higher. There isn't enough negotiating room around either number for a bunch of teams to have competing offers.

Quote Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
    These “owners” and GM are an absolute joke. Can’t wait for Cohen to finally be here and hire a experienced GM
    Me too. I hope the change has a real impact. Right now we have too many Mets fans settling for this crap.

We have a win now team with a solid core. Solid pitchers like Ryu, Will Smith, and others were available this offseason. Good pitchers we could have really used in both the pen and rotation. We don’t necessarily need to sign the big free agent like Cole or Rendon (would be nice though). What we do need is to at least add quality players that fill weaknesses on the roster, not low cost lottery tickets.

This should be unacceptable to us, but too many of us have become accustomed to it. There is no reason to be so afraid to exceed the luxury tax. With the roster we have now, this is the right time to do it and really try to put together a legit contender, not just a team than can play “games that matter” in September.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Now you're trying to save face, but I know what you said.
    Lol Ok.....I literally quoted the exact words from the article and used it as reasons for them not exceeding the luxury tax. I also believe that they may be getting some communication from the MLB about being mindful of it. We know Sandy Alderson was brought to the Mets by the MLB to get things in order, it's not crazy to think they may be involved to an extent.

You thinking I said "debt limit = literally can not exceed it" is dumb.
    Just a Met's fan surrounded by Phillies fan's standing strong behind enemy lines

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit999 View Post
    Mets are out for financial reasons (sad), not because of the first big injury of his career.

As far as mileage goes he's 31 (Players prime is considered 27-32) so I wouldn't say he's definitely finished. Pitchers age better than other positions. And remember it's only supposed to be a one year deal. If anyone should be taking the chance on this guy it's the Mets. Unfortunately Cohen hasn't gotten here in time to save us.
    Just a Met's fan surrounded by Phillies fan's standing strong behind enemy lines

Lol Ok.....I literally quoted the exact words from the article and used it as reasons for them not exceeding the luxury tax. I also believe that they may be getting some communication from the MLB about being mindful of it. We know Sandy Alderson was brought to the Mets by the MLB to get things in order, it's not crazy to think they may be involved to an extent.
    Again, you're just showing your ignorance on the subject. The luxury tax is not debt. You thought it was, which is why you made the declaration. The MLB would not need to tell the Mets to "be mindful" of the luxury tax, because the Mets would know exactly where they are in relation to it. They would not need to ask MLB for permission to go over the threshold, because, again, it isn't a loan -- it's a fine.

You thinking I said "debt limit = literally can not exceed it" is dumb.
    It's literally what you said:

Quote Originally Posted by you
    Well my understanding is that the Mets actually can't afford to exceed the luxury tax threshold because they are currently at the MLB limit for debt.
    I'm starting to remember why I had you on the ignore list for so long. One of those posters who gets it wrong quite often, but never cops to it, and in fact gets grouchy when they're called on it. It's annoying and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Again, you're just showing your ignorance on the subject. The luxury tax is not debt. You thought it was, which is why you made the declaration. The MLB would not need to tell the Mets to "be mindful" of the luxury tax, because the Mets would know exactly where they are in relation to it. They would not need to ask MLB for permission to go over the threshold, because, again, it isn't a loan -- it's a fine.

It's literally what you said:

I'm starting to remember why I had you on the ignore list for so long. One of those posters who gets it wrong quite often, but never cops to it, and in fact gets grouchy when they're called on it. It's annoying and stupid.
    I guess your struggling with reading my words. I said "CAN"T AFFORD TO" I am not calling luxury tax debt what are you even saying jesus. As far as the last paragraph I'm not going to get into a personal argument. If it makes you feel better to talk **** because of a little heated argument then so be it. I never said the MLB needed to give them permission, again putting words in my mouth. I said it's not farfetched to think the MLB is keeping a close eye on their finances as they have been for the past decade.

I think they are having cash flow issues, which you acknowledged so it's weird how your trying to act like that didn't happen now.

This is the literal use of the luxury tax: "If a league lacks a salary cap or a luxury tax, any team can spend all the money they can afford on players. This means teams with more limited financial resources cannot afford the top talent, putting them at a competitive disadvantage against rich teams."

I was exactly right.....You're splitting hairs to try to make it sound like I said their hands were tied and they literally could not exceed the luxury tax threshold. You would know that wasn't what I was saying if you looked at another thread were we all were discussing the likelihood of the Mets willing to exceed it, not that they literally could not. The article I posted which said they were at the debt limit & lost 120 million in the last two years was meant to show evidence of why I did not think they were willing to shell out even more money via the luxury tax in a time where they may be having issues paying the current roster. It's not a coincidence that Cohen is involved now, the Wilpons have always said they don't want to sell the team. They may not have a choice anymore if they want to keep the doors open. They need a cash infusion ASAP.

I was dead wrong about the Cano/Diaz trade and I copped to it. I was absolutely right about the Rosario situation and everyone who was railing him acted like they never said otherwise. I didn't go after them to announce it to the forum that they were wrong. That's weird.
    Last edited by ImTheKing30; 12-17-2019 at 03:20 PM.

I guess your struggling with reading my words.
    Bet you wish you had that one back.

I said "CAN"T AFFORD TO" I am not calling luxury tax debt what are you even saying jesus. As far as the last paragraph I'm not going to get into a personal argument. If it makes you feel better to talk **** because of a little heated argument then so be it.
    You said that because you assumed the luxury tax is a debt you take on, which MLB will not allow because the Mets are at their limit. Otherwise it makes no sense; why would their being at the debt ceiling have any role in their ability to take on the luxury tax? You said nothing to suggest a different context, and in fact you still say nothing to suggest a different context: how does "they can't afford to" change what you said? I'll save you the headache: It doesn't.

I think they are having cash flow issues, which you acknowledged so it's weird how your trying to act like that didn't happen now.
    I know they're having cash flow issues. But "they can't go over the luxury tax threshold because they're at the MLB limit for debt" either suggests that the luxury tax is a loan teams take out against payroll exceeding the threshold, or said threshold happens to be, out of some spectacular coincidence on the level of twins separated at birth marrying another set of twins separated at birth, exactly at the limit of their budget.

You shouldn't call other people stupid just because they call you on being wrong about something.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    “Come get us”
    I certainly hope he has learned to never say that again.

Page 70 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast