Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

NY Mets offseason

Jon Heyman@JonHeyman
    Follow Follow @JonHeyman
    More
    Mets and Reds this winter will both be in the market for a CF

I hope its not Manual Margot

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

They need to rework the bullpen, re-sign Wheeler and find a CF.

I can live with Nimmo in CF but the offense is going to have over perform because defense is going to be an issue with this team again.

My fear is this team blew their load last offseason and will be fairly quiet on the FA front. Don't want them to rob Peter to pay Paul in terms of trading off assets.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-02-2019 at 03:41 PM.

I’m fine with Nimmo in CF if they fix some other things. Get rid of Diaz, he will never be fixed unless he’s out of NY. Get rid of Familia and put Lugo in the starting rotation. Trade Noah and resign Wheeler. JD Davis has to play everyday.

I would also leave the outfield alone and get another Juan Lagares type outfielder. Wouldn’t be against signing Billy Hamilton, Jarrod Dyson, etc as a 4th outfielder.

The only center fielder I would truly trade for is Bader, tbh. You can’t get a tried and true center fielder without getting rid of Dom/Davis/Nimmo...either in a trade or because one of them will essentially get no playing time.

Get bullpen arms, try to re-sign Wheeler, or sign an innings eater type 5th starter...somebody like Porcello...not sure how he’d fare here, though.

I think the offense is set, I would just try to trade Ramos and get a better defensive catcher.

I wouldn’t subtract from this ML roster - with the exception of catcher. Hey, maybe just go hard after Chapman or something, a few more relievers, and call it an offseason.

Next year hopefully we’ll have Gsellman, Drew Smith, and Kilomé back. All decent options for the pen. Maybe a guy like Peterson can make a difference at some point.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Of course I could be wrong about this (because I often am), but I don’t see them doing much this offseason. The payroll is already high by the Mets’ historical standards and will be higher just due to arbitration. They have their six young players as core — McNeil, Alonso, Conforto, Nimmo, Rosario and Davis. Add Cano, Lowrie and Cespedes under contract. Smith is an inexpensive bench player; Ramos is under contract for another year. The four starters are set. Even though the BP is shaky, they aren’t likely to give up on Diaz. They’ll try to fix him instead figuring this last year was an outlier. Familia will be in his second year of a 3 year deal, so he’s not going anywhere. Gsellman will be back. Lugo is unquestionably there. And they have two or three young, hard throwers they will try to improve and spot. So, what’s left? Another starter, cheap incremental improvements to the BP and some cheap depth. Then, they’ll play the first half next year and see how things are as the trade deadline approaches again. There’s always the chance that Brodie will want to wheel and deal over the winter, but he’s going to be constrained by budget. Syndergaard could be bait but that will mean adding two starters with Wheeler gone (and he’s really gone given what he will draw on the open market). I don’t see the FO wanting to add two starters given the cost. That’s how I see things at least.

Isnt this said now every offseason, then the Mets usually sign someone early and everyone says thats it for money spent, and then they make some more moves.
    Its not perpetually 2012, they do make moves

I am okay with the position players. They could use a backup catcher but that is about it. They need to add a 5th starter. Wheeler would be fine but he could be too expensive. The real gem here would be Strasberg but he would really be expensive. The bullpen needs to add at least 1 closer type pitcher maybe 2. That is all the moves needed IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by flfan1943 View Post
    I am okay with the position players. They could use a backup catcher but that is about it. They need to add a 5th starter. Wheeler would be fine but he could be too expensive. The real gem here would be Strasberg but he would really be expensive. The bullpen needs to add at least 1 closer type pitcher maybe 2. That is all the moves needed IMO.
    They added 2 closer type pitchers last offseason, they both were bad

NY Mets offseason

I would love to snag Oscar Mercado from the Indians somehow. He’d fit perfectly in CF.

.269/.318/.443 with 15 HR, 15 SB as a rookie with plus defense in CF in 115 games.

We need to improve our team speed and defense. This seems to be the case every year.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I would love to snag Oscar Mercado from the Indians somehow. He’d fit perfectly in CF.

.269/.318/.443 with 15 HR, 15 SB as a rookie with plus defense in CF in 115 games.

We need to improve our team speed and defense. This seems to be the case every year.
    Think it will be Marte from Pitts

I think that they will stay put in the OF especially if Cespedes is baseball ready. It is his walk year and his last opportunity to snag a decent contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit999 View Post
    I thought so once but we cannot be trading any more prospects . If he were a FA then possibly. I would rather go to war with Nimmo in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    I think that they will stay put in the OF especially if Cespedes is baseball ready. It is his walk year and his last opportunity to snag a decent contract.
    Yeah I agree.

They will probably hedge against Nimmo’s health with a Lagares replacement and that’s all.

For what it’s worth the team was a lot better with Nimmo back in the lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post

That would be a solid option. I really wish the Mets would try and get Ramon Laureano from the A's but Oakland won't move him without asking for an arm and a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit999 View Post
    No point. Marte is not a CF. Might as well keep Nimmo out there if that's who they are targeting. They need a true CFer.

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast