Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 423
  1. #376
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,064
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    I know there isn't a lot of opportunity on this roster for Dom, but I don't think we'd get equal value back for him right now. He is a solid LH hitter who can spell Alonso now and then, a very good defensive first basemen, a serviceable extra corner outfielder, a guy who has shown he can come off the bench (and the DL) and rake in a pinch, and an awesome teammate. It's too bad he won't play a lot, but very good teams carry this kind of player. If someone loves him enough to give us real value in an area of need, make the deal. If not, carry on.
    He really can't play a corner. We've got a ton of corners, now, anyway. We can't devote a roster spot to someone who is just a backup first baseman, pinch hitter. If the NL had a DH it would be different. Again, you wait as long as you can to cut him because problems have a way of solving themselves. But eventually, you're going to have to let him go.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

  2. #377
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    31,371
    Edwin Diaz will bounce back this year. Book it.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  3. #378
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Flushing, 10/16/69
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    He really can't play a corner. We've got a ton of corners, now, anyway. We can't devote a roster spot to someone who is just a backup first baseman, pinch hitter. If the NL had a DH it would be different. Again, you wait as long as you can to cut him because problems have a way of solving themselves. But eventually, you're going to have to let him go.
    Smith is still a bargain and fills a lot of roles on the bench. To find that caliber of LH PH, defensive sub, and on rare occasions emergency corner OF we'd be paying a lot more than what Dom makes. Plus, we have zero organizational depth at 1B beyond Pete. What if Pete pulls an oblique next time he takes sidewalk BP on Colbert? Eventually he will leave us an probably play 1B everyday for someone else, but unless we're getting value I keep him as long as we can. I get the roster, with Lowrie, Cano, Davis, etc. makes even a bench spot difficult to justify. As you say, we'll see how it plays out over the next 4-5 months.

  4. #379
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,064
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Smith is still a bargain and fills a lot of roles on the bench. To find that caliber of LH PH, defensive sub, and on rare occasions emergency corner OF we'd be paying a lot more than what Dom makes. Plus, we have zero organizational depth at 1B beyond Pete. What if Pete pulls an oblique next time he takes sidewalk BP on Colbert? Eventually he will leave us an probably play 1B everyday for someone else, but unless we're getting value I keep him as long as we can. I get the roster, with Lowrie, Cano, Davis, etc. makes even a bench spot difficult to justify. As you say, we'll see how it plays out over the next 4-5 months.
    Well, JD Davis can play first. And if you want to get creative, Conforto can probably be moved in to play some first base if needed. Point is, first base is never a difficult position to fill. In this era where you need 13 pitchers on a roster, you can't have one guy whose only job is to pinch hit and back up at first base. There just isn't room.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

  5. #380
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,456
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Well, JD Davis can play first. And if you want to get creative, Conforto can probably be moved in to play some first base if needed. Point is, first base is never a difficult position to fill. In this era where you need 13 pitchers on a roster, you can't have one guy whose only job is to pinch hit and back up at first base. There just isn't room.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  6. #381
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Ha!

    I love this scene.

    It should be pointed out, though, that Scott still went on to have a nice career as a first baseman long after he threw his last baseball as a catcher.


    So well done. Starts out with Mrs. H sitting at the dining room table wondering how she was going to get the bills paid as Scottie H figits by the TV. And then the phone rings!!!!! And what do you know? It's the Oakland A's GM who not only wants to offer him a job but he's standng right outside the front door right now asking if he can come inside!!!!!!

    If only real life were like that.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 11-08-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

  7. #382
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Flushing, 10/16/69
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Well, JD Davis can play first. And if you want to get creative, Conforto can probably be moved in to play some first base if needed. Point is, first base is never a difficult position to fill. In this era where you need 13 pitchers on a roster, you can't have one guy whose only job is to pinch hit and back up at first base. There just isn't room.
    JD and Conforto (and, for that matter, Lowrie, Cano, Nimmo, et. al) can play first about as well as Dom plays left field.

  8. #383
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    45,064
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    JD and Conforto (and, for that matter, Lowrie, Cano, Nimmo, et. al) can play first about as well as Dom plays left field.
    JD's an infielder so first base shouldn't give him any problems. I'll give you Conforto, though.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

  9. #384
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    Did BVW seriously say "still saved 26 games for us this year"?

    And did Diaz seriously say "Shaky '19"? Shaky is not what I would use to describe his season. He was downright disastrous.
    Diaz was shaky like the Hindenburg was shaky.

  10. #385
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kabul Afghanistan
    Posts
    2,658
    If Diaz was Diaz, Mets would have went deep into the playoffs. Hopefully he will rebound and we can resign or replace Wheels.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  11. #386
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    12,989
    I know people are busting Brodie's balls for saying "He still saved 26 games for us" but I'm not sure what the utility of him saying, "Man that guy sucked" would be. He's putting a positive spin on it for the player's sake, not ours. It sounds ludicrous because, well, it is, but it also signals confidence to Diaz. And a lot of his troubles down the stretch were mental rather than physical. Pitchers don't react like that to failure, but he was visible distraught by the outcomes.

  12. #387
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,704
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    I know people are busting Brodie's balls for saying "He still saved 26 games for us" but I'm not sure what the utility of him saying, "Man that guy sucked" would be. He's putting a positive spin on it for the player's sake, not ours. It sounds ludicrous because, well, it is, but it also signals confidence to Diaz. And a lot of his troubles down the stretch were mental rather than physical. Pitchers don't react like that to failure, but he was visible distraught by the outcomes.
    Heís a major league player and presumably not blind. Iím sure he knows he was awful. And Iím sure he has plenty of fire in his own belly to come back and not be awful in 2020. He doesnít need BVW to coddle him - if he does, well thatís not saying much.

    BVW didnít have to say anything about 2019 Diaz. He could have simply said he believes in him being a great player for this team in 2020 and beyond.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  13. #388
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    12,989
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Heís a major league player and presumably not blind. Iím sure he knows he was awful. And Iím sure he has plenty of fire in his own belly to come back and not be awful in 2020. He doesnít need BVW to coddle him - if he does, well thatís not saying much.
    He's still human, and is probably affected by how the press and his bosses talk about him. In the sea of vitriol that has been printed about him, it can't hurt to hear your boss framing it in a more positive light. This practice actually has a name, and a lot of research behind it: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Basically it means trying to find a way to better deal with a negative thought. It has been incredibly helpful in my life, and it can't hurt for Diaz to hear that he wasn't completely useless. Everyone else in the world will make sure he knows it, including the statisticians, so how about BVW gives him a little lovin.

    BVW didnít have to say anything about 2019 Diaz. He could have simply said he believes in him being a great player for this team in 2020 and beyond.
    You can't talk about 2020 Diaz without talking about 2019 Diaz. It would have been more disingenuous (and utterly without utility) to pretend 2019 isn't a thing that throws 2020 into question. So he talked about it, CBT style. I have no issue with it.

  14. #389
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34,704
    Interesting perspective. Hey whatever works man. Iím all in for whatever it takes to get this guy on track.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  15. #390
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    29,868
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Heís a major league player and presumably not blind. Iím sure he knows he was awful. And Iím sure he has plenty of fire in his own belly to come back and not be awful in 2020. He doesnít need BVW to coddle him - if he does, well thatís not saying much.

    BVW didnít have to say anything about 2019 Diaz. He could have simply said he believes in him being a great player for this team in 2020 and beyond.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i dont care what management says about players publicly. Its what they say privately between each other that matters.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ďIt is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.Ē -- Teddy Roosevelt

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •