Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Families will attend when they pitch.
    Lol, anything to sell a few more tickets
    Last edited by Larry M; Yesterday at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIT View Post
    Not sure Betts would be that good of a move. He will likely get close to $20M in arbitration this year, not to mention he could be a FA after the season. Silver lining might be that the Mets could make QO and get a draft pick for Betts leaving. However, Betts OPS on the road (.853) was significantly less than at home. He may be a Fenway park hitter. The OF for the Mets already looks to be crowded and, if you minus Conforto, which some have suggested, Conforto you might actually be hurting the offense. Conforto was also much better at home. The downside for Conforto is he is vulnerable to LH pitching. However, last year, thanks to other players, the Mets hit lefties better than righties by a decent margin. Conforto, though vulnerable to lefities, hit RH pitching at a .926 OPS clip. Betts, though a RH batter, hit RH pitching at .945 OPS. Sounds good, but not when you think of Cespedes returning to help offset the balance against RH pitching.

I'm not saying that Betts is not an upgrade. I am saying that is not that significant of an upgrade and not a cost effective one. One thing we saw last year for the Mets was a surge in their offense. Ironic in that at the same time the pitching regressed. IIRC, the Mets score more than 60 more runs in 2019 than the previous year. So it kind of looks like offense is not the problem it had been the past few years, largely because of the loss of Cespedes. Add Cespedes returning and the offense is even more improved. If, let's say, Conforto is 85-90% of the hitter that Betts is, I'd rather pay Conforto half the salary of Betts for that.

And again, that low OPS on the road for Betts should be a concern.
    Betts should cost no more than what Machado cost...and I could argue Machado was more valuable with his gold glove defense at a premium position as well as flexibility to play SS pretty decently and finally Machado wasn’t making $20M in his walk year.

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-macha...ers-c286340444
    5 prospects dealt, only one barely broke the top 100

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253