Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 44 of 93 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 646 to 660 of 1383
  1. #646
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,374
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Yeah there are better options but its a numbers game. They can bring in Gausman and Treinen imo. I would expect one of those guys to have a solid season given their stuff and previous success. I understand there are only so many roster spots but you can make room and the Mets need as many arms as they can get. They fit right up the Mets alley as well because they presumably don't cost much and it allows them to acquire pieces without giving up more assets.
    Why bring either of them when Wil Harris is a FA and much better than eithere of them ?

  2. #647
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    64,539

    NY Mets offseason

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Why bring either of them when Wil Harris is a FA and much better than eithere of them ?
    Money.

    Plus spending big on the pen isnít guaranteed to work anyway.

  3. #648
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    64,539
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Yeah there are better options but its a numbers game. They can bring in Gausman and Treinen imo. I would expect one of those guys to have a solid season given their stuff and previous success. I understand there are only so many roster spots but you can make room and the Mets need as many arms as they can get. They fit right up the Mets alley as well because they presumably don't cost much and it allows them to acquire pieces without giving up more assets.
    I liked what Brach did here as well, surprised there hasnít been talk of bringing him back.

  4. #649
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    35
    Agreed on Pillar. There is also Steven Souza. Pillar would like cost $6M or so to sign. Souza could go for the major league minimum or so, but definitely below $1M. I believe Pillar would be FA eligible after this season.

    However, it seems Pillar may have lost a step or two. Last season he had a -7 DRS, surprisingly.

    There seem to be some good bargains in relievers out there, including the ones that were already mentioned in a previous post. Some other interesting guys include Junior Guerra and Yimi Garcia, among others, worth signing to minor league deals if possible.

    Also....would you sign Travis Shaw? Ya never know and he could be had for at or close to the major league minimum. I know, there is no place for him on this team, but could be worth taking a chance on. Somebody who would sign a one year deal who could be released in ST if the doesn't show anything at a cost of only 30 or 45 days pay. It would even be better if you could sign him to a minor league deal. How does a guy fall so low after hitting well in the previous season? Amazing! Could be a bust, but ya never know.

  5. #650
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,989
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    It wasn't an insult, nor trolling. Go report it if you think otherwise. See what kind of traction it gets.

    The irony in you talking about staying on topic but never addressing my point which you know is 100% true. Teams deal prospects for major league players all the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

    Its not the same as trading a young guy who has proven he can play well at the major league level and is still cost controlled, unlike Marte.
    It was. Teams do trade prospects, and teams trade young controllable talent. So whatís your point?
    Last year the Mets were willing to include McNeil in the Cano trade, as reported. So again whatís your point?

    I would have had more respect if you were man enough to apologize.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  6. #651
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    Pillar is not a good hitter
    Again, the point was not about Pillar being a better overall player than any of the alternatives being mentioned. The point was about CF D. If that is the primary reason for trading assets to get Marte, then couldnít Pillar be a better alternative? Marteís offense is not the reason to trade assets when three of the OF options already on the Mets (Davis, McNeil, Nimmo) can be equally/more effective offensively. If Marte isnít a significant D upgrade, then he is not worth trading assets for.

  7. #652
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    31,445
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Again, the point was not about Pillar being a better overall player than any of the alternatives being mentioned. The point was about CF D. If that is the primary reason for trading assets to get Marte, then couldnít Pillar be a better alternative? Marteís offense is not the reason to trade assets when three of the OF options already on the Mets (Davis, McNeil, Nimmo) can be equally/more effective offensively. If Marte isnít a significant D upgrade, then he is not worth trading assets for.
    I think Marte is a significant D upgrade over what we currently have. And heís another good hitter in our lineup plus adds a base running threat we lack.

    Pillar is just a Lagares replacement. He shouldnít start or play everyday IMO. I think weíd be best off using him much like Lagares, which means a lot of Nimmo or Conforto in CF.

  8. 12-03-2019, 01:20 PM
    Reason
    Don't

  9. #653
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    20,603
    Honestly though, I donít think Marte is an upgrade. I think Nimmo is better defensively in centerfield. I also donít think we need a full time center fielder because I want JD/Dom to have enough playing time in left field, getting a guy like Marte means Davis will see almost no at bats.

    I rather sign a Pillar, Billy Hamilton, type of player who can be thrown in once a week or as a late game defensive replacement. I donít personally think we need a full time center fielder unless the guy is elite/established.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  10. #654
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kabul Afghanistan
    Posts
    2,735
    Bradley Jr? Better trade than Marte? Solid D and inconsistent bat. Maybe he works in Citi field?

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  11. #655
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    31,588
    https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-co...ayer/312057272

    Also, looks like Mets are trying to get out of Familia and Lowrie contract by offering something valuable like Smith or Davis to eat some money. Why give Brodie money to spend if you are gonna take it away the year after and make him have to trade valuable pieces to get rid of money.

    May as well do Cano + Cespedes + Alonso + McNeil for a bag of peanuts. That way we can clear as much money as possible.

  12. #656
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    31,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Those trades seem pretty good, though they may want more than Vientos

    Not sure I understand your lineup...Marte cleanup?
    I like this better
    1. Starling Marte - CF
    2. Amed Rosario - SS
    3. Jeff McNeil - LF
    4. Pete Alonso - 1B
    5. Michael Conforto - RF
    6. JD Davis/Cespedes - LF
    7. Wilson Ramos - C
    8. Robinson Cano - 2B
    9. Pitcher
    I just went with what the Mets showed they were doing last year. It isn't my ideal lineup but it seemed they like batting Alonso #2 and you can only move Cano so low because of that 20+ million hit.

  13. #657
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    35,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    It was. Teams do trade prospects, and teams trade young controllable talent. So whatís your point?
    Last year the Mets were willing to include McNeil in the Cano trade, as reported. So again whatís your point?

    I would have had more respect if you were man enough to apologize.
    And they didn't trade McNeil so obviously what he did at the major league level had weight. Much like Davis's contribution has weight. Either way, the Mets aren't trading Davis for Marte. That's my point and just because you don't like the GM doesn't make it true.

    I apologize for the Newsday writer reference but I still don't know how it came across as an insult.

  14. #658
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,528
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    And they didn't trade McNeil so obviously what he did at the major league level had weight. Much like Davis's contribution has weight. Either way, the Mets aren't trading Davis for Marte. That's my point and just because you don't like the GM doesn't make it true.

    I apologize for the Newsday writer reference but I still don't know how it came across as an insult.
    Whether you like or dislike Brodie I think its fair to say his overall body of work as a GM has been bad. That's just the truth. Now im hearing that they are consdiering packaging a young cost controlled players like Smith or Davis just so they could get rid of one of Broide's terrible contracts like Familia or Lowrie. Obviously the owners are a big problem as well since they refuse to spend but javing terrible ownership and a terrible GM makes me nervous lol

  15. #659
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    31,588
    ^I'm hoping that is actually more the media picking at things rather than the Mets actually considering these options. Similar to the fact that Martino put McNeil in the same category as Davis and Smith.

  16. #660
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Amherst, MA
    Posts
    5,771
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-co...ayer/312057272

    Also, looks like Mets are trying to get out of Familia and Lowrie contract by offering something valuable like Smith or Davis to eat some money. Why give Brodie money to spend if you are gonna take it away the year after and make him have to trade valuable pieces to get rid of money.

    May as well do Cano + Cespedes + Alonso + McNeil for a bag of peanuts. That way we can clear as much money as possible.
    This is so ****ing stupid. If you think that these guys are such bad investments after one year, then why the **** would you let the guy how made these deals trade away assets for nothing just to have another opportunity to spend money poorly?

    Don't compound one mistake with another mistake. It's like putting your hands into the quicksand to pull your legs out.
    Last edited by wiley6; 12-03-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Page 44 of 93 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •