Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 43 of 87 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    The problem with Marte is that he IMO isn't better than Conforto, Nimmo, and McNeil so you don't really have a spot for him. You would need to trade Nimmo/JD Davis in order to make a spot for him.
    See my post above.

I agree, they should trade someone if they are getting Marte, but let's not act like Marte doesn't provide something those other guys don't with the glove and the base running. You are making a move like this because you want to add a legit two way CFer, which we don't have on this roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    To think BVW would never trade Davis for Marte is pretty presumptuous and not really an evidence based assessment of how he operates.

It may be unlikely but the man has shown he is all about trading young, controllable assets for older players that he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, and I don't even think it's an egregious trade either. Not that I would be happy with that trade, but it's not the worst I've ever seen.

I love JD and hope he remains a Met with a chance to get a ton of AB's next year, but he clearly has his warts. If his bat slips just a little (which it could given his BABIP), then his defense must improve or else he's really not a great everyday option.

There are enough red flags about Marte to ultimately not pull that trigger, but let's not act like there isn't a healthy amount of upside from having a legit, everyday, two way CFer. There is tremendous value in what a guy with Marte's tools can provide a team and it certainly fills a need. If Pitt includes a good, cost controlled reliever or two, I can easily be swayed that it's a good baseball move for a win now team.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 12-02-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    See my post above.

I agree, they should trade someone if they are getting Marte, but let's not act like Marte doesn't provide something those other guys don't with the glove and the base running. You are making a move like this because you want to add a legit two way CFer, which we don't have on this roster.
    True but I think Nimmo is the better overall player than Marte and has WAY MORE upside which is why I'd be very hesitant to make that move. Especially since Nimmo is cheaper and under control longer. That's a move you can end up regretting if he can go back to being the 5 WAR guy he was. And at worst he should be 2-4 WAR which is what Marte is basically

I can't say he's a better overall player and I don't agree about him having way more upside either. There is more upside in the bat alone, but in the overall package, I don't agree.

Consistency is a big part of the equation too. We agree on what Nimmo can become if the stars align, but Marte is a far more proven commodity. I get the concerns about Marte, but let's not act like he's 36 years old. He just turned 31 years old and overall he has been pretty damn consistent with the glove and with the bat. If I'm a betting man, I'd bet that Marte provides more value than Nimmo over the next couple seasons. Most people would make that bet, objectively speaking.

Same with a comparison to Davis (years of cost control is a different matter).
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    Marte gives them something that is severly lacking on the team- SPEED
    So does Pillar

Pillar is not a good hitter
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    Random but what if the Mets decided to trade Gimenez + Szapucki for Starling Marte and then traded Brandon Nimmo + Mark Vientos for Josh Hader. Would really destroy our farm system but then now you'd be looking at this team

1. Jeff McNeil - LF
    2. Pete Alonso - 1B
    3. Michael Conforto - RF
    4. Starling Marte - CF
    5. JD Davis - 3B
    6. Robinson Cano - 2B
    7. Wilson Ramos - C
    8. Pitcher
    9. Amed Rosario - SS

Starting Rotation

1. Jacob DeGrom
    2. Noah Syndergaard
    3. Marco Stroman
    4. Steven Matz
    5. Robert Gsellman or Free Agent Pitcher or Seth Lugo

Bullpen

CL - Josh Hader
    RP - Seth Lugo
    RP - Edwin Diaz
    RP - Jeurys Familia
    RP - Dellin Betances (let's sign him too)
    RP - Justin Wilson
    RP - Robert Gsellman or Brad Brach

Bench

Dom Smith
    Jed Lowrie
    Signed Catcher
    Rajai Davis or signed Outfielder
    Luis Guillorme

That's actually as complete of a team as you can get. Especially since you would assume Diaz, Familia, and Cano should have better years
    Those trades seem pretty good, though they may want more than Vientos

Not sure I understand your lineup...Marte cleanup?
    I like this better
    1. Starling Marte - CF
    2. Amed Rosario - SS
    3. Jeff McNeil - LF
    4. Pete Alonso - 1B
    5. Michael Conforto - RF
    6. JD Davis/Cespedes - LF
    7. Wilson Ramos - C
    8. Robinson Cano - 2B
    9. Pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    So its not insults now? Easier to pivot to something else I guess. It was just a mere observation because it sounds like a John Harper piece. Something he would write during the slower part of the offseason to rile up Met fans but has no real substance.

He traded minor league controllable assets. Unproven guys. Davis is proven. That's a big difference but you already knew that.
    You would have made a great sports writer for Newsday. I see a lot of similar pieces there.
    Right there.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Pillar was non tendered, honestly he is a bit better version of Lagares on offense specially vs LHP.

I would be ok with them getting him over dealing top prospects for Marte.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Right there.
    It wasn't an insult, nor trolling. Go report it if you think otherwise. See what kind of traction it gets.

The irony in you talking about staying on topic but never addressing my point which you know is 100% true. Teams deal prospects for major league players all the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Its not the same as trading a young guy who has proven he can play well at the major league level and is still cost controlled, unlike Marte.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-03-2019 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Pillar was non tendered, honestly he is a bit better version of Lagares on offense specially vs LHP.

I said the same thing last year but everyone laughed off a potential trade. Pillar would be a solid partial platoon in CF.

The A's non tendered Blake Treinen as well. The Mets should be all over that. He wasn't good last year but he was lights out in 2018.

NY Mets offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post

100% agree. Pillar would be perfect here and was exactly what we needed last season in the outfield.

Really hoping BVW can bring him in.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I said the same thing last year but everyone laughed off a potential trade. Pillar would be a solid partial platoon in CF.

The A's non tendered Blake Treinen as well. The Mets should be all over that. He wasn't good last year but he was lights out in 2018.
    Treinen and Diaz really are in a similar boat from falling off in 2019 from 2018. It seems like a big gamble to have both of them here. Treinen is also older and he never had a season like 2018 before. While Iím not against bringing him in, I would definitely look at other options.

Another non-tender guy, I really like Kevin Gausman as an option in the pen. His results in the pen last season were very good (3.10 ERA, 2.72 FIP, 2.42 xFIP in 20 innings ó SSS I know). But he has some flexibility to go into the rotation if needed even though he was dreadful last year there.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Treinen and Diaz really are in a similar boat from falling off in 2019 from 2018. It seems like a big gamble to have both of them here. Treinen is also older and he never had a season like 2018 before. While Iím not against bringing him in, I would definitely look at other options.

Another non-tender guy, I really like Kevin Gausman as an option in the pen. His results in the pen last season were very good (3.10 ERA, 2.72 FIP, 2.42 xFIP in 20 innings ó SSS I know). But he has some flexibility to go into the rotation if needed even though he was dreadful last year there.
    Yeah there are better options but its a numbers game. They can bring in Gausman and Treinen imo. I would expect one of those guys to have a solid season given their stuff and previous success. I understand there are only so many roster spots but you can make room and the Mets need as many arms as they can get. They fit right up the Mets alley as well because they presumably don't cost much and it allows them to acquire pieces without giving up more assets.

Page 43 of 87 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast