Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Chaim Bloom Hired to Replace Dombrowski

The Red Sox have their new head of baseball operations.

A major league source confirmed that former Rays Vice-President of Baseball Operations Chaim Bloom has agreed to take the position vacated by Dave Dombrowski. Bloom's official title is not yet known. Joel Sherman of the New York Post was first to report the news.

The 36-year-old Bloom has been with the Rays in various roles since 2006, having begun his career with the San Diego Padres. He has teamed with Erik Neander to run the baseball operations for Tampa Bay since the departure of Andrew Friedman, who left to become president of baseball operations for the Dodgers in 2014.

For more on why the Red Sox targeted Bloom, click here.
    weei.com

Looks like it will be a new-look Red Sox.

say goodbye to Martinez and Betts.

Bloom seems like a good hire. Should be an interesting offseason.

I like what I'm hearing about the new FO. Bloom seems to have the backbone to do what's right rather than what's popular. If DD had had that resolve then we might be looking at Cole or Strasburg coming off dominant seasons rather than wondering if Sale will be cleared to throw after visiting Dr Andrews next week and hoping that 60% of the SP can have bounce-back seasons.

Betts is going to be a hard decision. I don't know that Bloom is predisposed against spending. He may be less willing to commit 17% of the CBT payroll to just one player than DD has proven to be. I'm not entirely sure myself.

It does sound like we can expect big changes and I would hate to see Betts go but,after this season,I am willing to give allowances for drastic change.Might be just what is needed.