Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: QB Ratings

This was written before the weekend but maybe adds some more perspective:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarter...ox-score-stats

Stats inflated (min. 100 attempts)

Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans

PFF passing grade: 73.3 (11th)
    Passer rating: 115.9 (2nd)

Watson has had some spectacular plays this season, as evidenced by his No. 2 ranking in big-time throw percentage (8.2%). Heís created big-play opportunities down the field, and he ranks sixth in adjusted completion percentage on deep passes throws at 64.3%. The discrepancy in the grading comes more from the negative plays, as Watsonís worst plays have rarely shown up in the stats. He has the 13th-highest percentage of turnover-worthy plays (out of 38), yet only one interception on the stat sheet to show for it.

Of his eight turnover-worthy plays, heís thrown two interceptions that were negated by penalties that didnít affect the play to go with multiple poor fumbles in the pocket, multiple missed throws for dropped interceptions and one of the worst plays of the season against the Chargers in Week 3. None of these plays show up in the 115.9 passer rating that ranks second in the league, but they all receive heavy downgrades in the PFF system, as Watson is just lucky that he is not among the leagueís leaders in turnovers through five games.
    Article includes example GIFs that I won't post here.

Playing better than stats

Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles

PFF passing grade: 88.4 (2nd)
    Passer rating: 94.3 (19th)

Letís take a look at one quarterback at the other end of the spectrum. So far this season, there arenít many quarterbacks who are playing much better than their stats would indicate, but Carson Wentz does stick out as his PFF grade is far better than his No. 19 ranking in passer rating. As we highlighted last week, Wentz has had incredibly bad luck, as many of his best throws have fallen incomplete thus far this season. He has the most positively graded throws that have fallen incomplete, including five big-time throws. Those five accurate big-time throws would move Wentz up about 10 spots in passer rating, highlighting just how significant just five plays can be in shaping player perception.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    That's a bad take on Wentz. What else could he do? Seriously? He can't control the drops. He doesn't play corner. He put up 300/2 yesterday. His escapability is still there post surgery, he's making plays with a makeshift receiving core. I honestly don't know how anyone could watch and say that Wentz doesn't have "it".
    I'm not saying he's the reason they lost. But for the most part, he's not the reason they win either. Wentz has Superstar talent... I'm just waiting for him to become a Superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I'm not saying he's the reason they lost. But for the most part, he's not the reason they win either. Wentz has Superstar talent... I'm just waiting for him to become a Superstar.
    So again, what more can he do? Serious question here.

So again, what more can he do? Serious question here.
    It's a pretty big detriment to his case that in the last 2 wins, he's had a sub 60% completion percentage and less than 200 yards passing in each game. It seems that whenever he actually plays well, they lose (Except for Washington).

It's a pretty big detriment to his case that in the last 2 wins, he's had a sub 60% completion percentage and less than 200 yards passing in each game. It seems that whenever he actually plays well, they lose (Except for Washington).
    Interesting... maybe he should play worse to make sure the team wins.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Interesting... maybe he should play worse to make sure the team wins.
    It's more so the game plan I think... Take the ball out of his hand so to speak. Maybe it's his receivers and it will all click when they get healthy... IDK, but you can't tell me you think he's an elite QB right now.

The purpose is to win, right? In those 2 wins he accounted for 5 TDS and 0 turnovers. If Wilson gets credit for efficiency, so should Wentz. No? As far as completion percentage, meh, I get it, but I think that's pretty arbitrary. Carson did everything he could do yesterday to help them win.

It's more so the game plan I think... Take the ball out of his hand so to speak. Maybe it's his receivers and it will all click when they get healthy... IDK, but you can't tell me you think he's an elite QB right now.
    I mean, he's put up 12/3 with the MVP chatter guys putting up 14/0 and 14/1. He's not going to throw for 400 a game, and he shouldn't, if he is that means we have bigger issues, IMO.

Goff isn't good. I realize this will fire a few posters up as me only saying the due to Wentz, but Goff sucks. period.
    Sucks is a bit much. He's not terrible. He has a nice arm. He just doesn't make plays outside of the system. There's nothing special about him.

And he's 1% in comp% behind Pat, who until last week was the clear cut favorite.

I'm beginning to see why MTM gets frustrated with this Eagle fan tag team. You guys really chose the arguments that suit your position instead of staying consistent lol. I do agree that being consistent and efficient is more important than yards and other nonsense. But I've literally seen you both argue the exact opposite points when talking about Russ. If Russ had a game where he had 160 yards and sub 60% completion percentage it's hard to not see you guys calling that a sub-par game.

Edit: IN fairness it might be QB Eagles who make those arguments not BDawk. I get you 2 confused sometimes, and you guys seem to be in every thread together. So if I'm pointing the finger incorrectly, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    I'm beginning to see why MTM gets frustrated with this Eagle fan tag team. You guys really chose the arguments that suit your position instead of staying consistent lol. I do agree that being consistent and efficient is more important than yards and other nonsense. But I've literally seen you both argue the exact opposite points when talking about Russ. If Russ had a game where he had 160 yards and sub 60% completion percentage it's hard to not see you guys calling that a sub-par game.

Edit: IN fairness it might be QB Eagles who make those arguments not BDawk. I get you 2 confused sometimes, and you guys seem to be in every thread together. So if I'm pointing the finger incorrectly, my apologies.
    I think there is something to be said with what you are asking your QB to do. On the stat sheet, i would love to see Wentz do more, but if you watch the games you'll see that some gameflows dictate run/pass more than others. The Jets game is hard to point at as a negative for Wentz. It was a route, the offense didn't have a ton of possessions. As for the Packer game, Wentz was very good and the run game was dominant.

And in fairness, MTM annoys me, so there's that.

It's funny, isn't it? Same exact arguments they use to belittle Wilson, are used to prop up Wentz.

I actually like Wilson and would have considered him a Top 10 QB coming into the season; right now he's on a MVP level. I just think MTM goes way overboard with his hype of him (and criticism of other QBs) so I argue with him.

Maybe you think Eagle fan arguments are inconsistent because you are confusing me and BDawk.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast