Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 284 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 4260
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Wonít josh get a QO as well?
    You are correct. He will likely walk so yea sign him and forfeit pick. There's not a chance Atkins goes this route.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,308
    The number 5 overall pick is exempt from forfeiture, so I don't care if those guys have a QO hanging over their head or not. If you can actually convince all 5 FA's to sign on the dotted line and play for the Blue Jays...you do it. It will hurt the draft pool and international signing bonus pool next year, but who cares. Our system is already pretty loaded so 1 stud at #5 is good enough for me next year.

    I don't want these young guys losing 90+ games again next year and getting used to losing. I think you need to try and build a team that can finish above .500 and at least compete for a WC next year late into Sept if they don't get in.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,441
    Iím in for that plan as well. Prob just swap vlad and teo positions

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    The number 5 overall pick is exempt from forfeiture, so I don't care if those guys have a QO hanging over their head or not. If you can actually convince all 5 FA's to sign on the dotted line and play for the Blue Jays...you do it. It will hurt the draft pool and international signing bonus pool next year, but who cares. Our system is already pretty loaded so 1 stud at #5 is good enough for me next year.

    I don't want these young guys losing 90+ games again next year and getting used to losing. I think you need to try and build a team that can finish above .500 and at least compete for a WC next year late into Sept if they don't get in.
    That makes things a little more interesting especially considering this is the deepest draft since 2011. If Atkins can get a mlb ready player in the draft and sign a few impact players then contending in 2021 is not out of question. Alot has to go right though.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    14,257
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I can't see the Yankees not picking up the $20M option on EE for next season. Here's a crazy potential scenario......what if Atkins and Shapiro aren't kidding and they have been saving up for this moment? What if they let their money do the talking this off season and do the following:


    1) Sign JD to a 3 year/65M dollar front loaded deal (25-25-20)
    2) Sign Zach Wheeler to a 4 year/80M dollar front loaded deal (25-25-15-15)
    3) Sign Jake Odorizzi to a 3 year/50M dollar front loaded deal (20-15-15)
    4) Sign Dallas Keuchel to a 3 year/65M dollar front loaded deal (25-25-15)
    5) Sign Will Smith to a 3 year/35M dollar front loaded deal (15-10-10)

    Yes, I realize that is 110M in FA's, but they have the money to spend (so they say) and those are 5 guys that fit major needs on this team moving forward. None of them should be able to command a 5+ year contract in this new market, so they are guys I think they could be at least feasible. (although very unlikely)..

    Lineup:

    Bichette- SS
    Biggio- 2B
    Donaldson- 3B
    Vladdy- RF
    Gurriel- LF
    Tellez- 1B
    Hernandez- DH
    Grichuk- CF
    Jansen- C

    Bench- McKinney, McGuire, Valera


    Rotation: Keuchel, Odorizzi, Wheeler, Shoemaker, Pearson

    Bullpen: Giles, Smith, Law, Boshers, Shafer, Pannone, Bergen, Baker

    After they sign JD to bring him back where he belongs, break the news to Vladdy that after he gets in shape that he will be needing his OF glove again. If they have signed a player like JD I am sure he will understand.

    3 year deals are ideal for them this off season imo because that will give them stability for the next 3 seasons while the kids are maturing on rookie deals. Then when they are ready to start making some serious money all those big contracts will be coming off the books and getting replaced by cheap in house guys like Groshans, SWR, Manoah and Pardinho.
    I think $110 in this off season would put them around $150-$160. Maybe even less. Itís not outside the realm of possibilities. If this were the case I would use a small amount of prospect capital to try upgrade CF as well. I donít necessarily agree with all of your choices of players but I like the idea of adding significant talent.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    14,257
    Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    You are correct. He will likely walk so yea sign him and forfeit pick. There's not a chance Atkins goes this route.
    I might be wrong, but I donít know if guys on one year deals can get a QO any more. And itís not like you lose a 1st rounder any more. Even if you did, under the old rules top 10 picks are protected. It would actually be a better time to strike in free agency.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I might be wrong, but I donít know if guys on one year deals can get a QO any more. And itís not like you lose a 1st rounder any more. Even if you did, under the old rules top 10 picks are protected. It would actually be a better time to strike in free agency.
    yea the pick is not an issue anymore, I'll double check on the 1 year thing but pretty sure as long as JD did not sign in season (mid season) he qualifies for the QO.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,441
    Yes. Can be QO unless previously QO in career

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,475
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    The number 5 overall pick is exempt from forfeiture, so I don't care if those guys have a QO hanging over their head or not. If you can actually convince all 5 FA's to sign on the dotted line and play for the Blue Jays...you do it. It will hurt the draft pool and international signing bonus pool next year, but who cares. Our system is already pretty loaded so 1 stud at #5 is good enough for me next year.

    I don't want these young guys losing 90+ games again next year and getting used to losing. I think you need to try and build a team that can finish above .500 and at least compete for a WC next year late into Sept if they don't get in.
    Most recent farm rankings have the Jays near the middle. They're not as stacked as the Rays or Padres.

    You'd hope they'd be a consensus top 5 with all the assets they've been collecting over the past 3+ years. Only BA has them top 5.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    14,257
    Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    Most recent farm rankings have the Jays near the middle. They're not as stacked as the Rays or Padres.

    You'd hope they'd be a consensus top 5 with all the assets they've been collecting over the past 3+ years. Only BA has them top 5.
    Your first sentence is incorrect. They are in the top third of the league as far as farms go. When you consider that they just graduated two top ten specs and had something like 10 rookies on the roster this year, itís looking pretty good. The Padres have been doing this for like 10 years. They should have a good farm.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,539
    Currently we are ranked #6 but just note rankings can change.

    Padres are a complete failure - they have been rebuilding forever

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    320
    I think that this is all highly unlikely because they're also looking at, in 2 or 3 years, signing Vlad, Bo, Cavan, and Gurriel to some long term deals....so I think they will be going into this year to upgrade without spending much. I can see them probably resigning Shoemaker if he's healthy by the spring, going with Pearson and Zeuch and Thornton. They might trade Giles for another starter but I doubt it will be a front end starter.




    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I think $110 in this off season would put them around $150-$160. Maybe even less. Itís not outside the realm of possibilities. If this were the case I would use a small amount of prospect capital to try upgrade CF as well. I donít necessarily agree with all of your choices of players but I like the idea of adding significant talent.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,181
    They have what looks like a handful of really great ingredients that could become special. I really cant see them adding lots of money and years until they see if they have what they think they have. They won't get a second chance to do it right.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 10-07-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,475
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Your first sentence is incorrect. They are in the top third of the league as far as farms go. When you consider that they just graduated two top ten specs and had something like 10 rookies on the roster this year, itís looking pretty good. The Padres have been doing this for like 10 years. They should have a good farm.
    MLB has them at 10. This guy has them at 13. . Fangraphs has them all the way down at 25.

    Please show me something else. When I think of good farms I'm looking at the Marlins, Padres, Rays, and Dodgers. I think in all of the aforementioned links they are top 5. Who in the Jays farm system is ready to make the leap? Pearson ok. The Jays have an above average farm system right now. I said in the offseason let's see how good the farm is without Vlad. It sucks that Bichette is no longer factored into these rankings but I would like to know who else is a coming up?

    Problem is the young supporting positional players (I'm looking at Grichuk, Drury, Mckinney, Hernandez) are absolute garbage that we may have to wait for the next wave of positional players to come through - and how long is that going to be? The Jays have Gurriel so maybe they can pickup a Sogard and Galvis again? No one else is knocking on the door in the farm next season other than Pearson. I hope some quality pitching arrives pretty quickly because when you look at the offense of the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, even Twins you realize the Jays have a ways to go to reach that tier.

    Edit: Looked at MLB's ranking and if Bichette is graduated they only have Pearson and Groshans (#73) as the only two prospects in the top 100!!
    Last edited by FLeays; 10-07-2019 at 11:11 PM.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    MLB has them at 10. This guy has them at 13. . Fangraphs has them all the way down at 25.

    Please show me something else. When I think of good farms I'm looking at the Marlins, Padres, Rays, and Dodgers. I think in all of the aforementioned links they are top 5. Who in the Jays farm system is ready to make the leap? Pearson ok. The Jays have an above average farm system right now. I said in the offseason let's see how good the farm is without Vlad. It sucks that Bichette is no longer factored into these rankings but I would like to know who else is a coming up?

    Problem is the young supporting positional players (I'm looking at Grichuk, Drury, Mckinney, Hernandez) are absolute garbage that we may have to wait for the next wave of positional players to come through - and how long is that going to be? The Jays have Gurriel so maybe they can pickup a Sogard and Galvis again? No one else is knocking on the door in the farm next season other than Pearson. I hope some quality pitching arrives pretty quickly because when you look at the offense of the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, even Twins you realize the Jays have a ways to go to reach that tier.

    Edit: Looked at MLB's ranking and if Bichette is graduated they only have Pearson and Groshans (#73) as the only two prospects in the top 100!!
    And this is why the failure by Shatkins to cash in on the MLB assets is trades is so devastating to the rebuild.

Page 4 of 284 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •