Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 340 of 364 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342350 ... LastLast
Results 5,086 to 5,100 of 5460
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    You know how old Molina is, right?
    I'm not suggesting a multi year deal with him. I was speaking in general terms.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I'm not suggesting a multi year deal with him. I was speaking in general terms.
    Gotcha and I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I think catcher is the last place you want a one year deal. We have kids that need development there. If we were going long term thatís fine, deal one of them.
    Well i wanted Kirk in AAA and I think Jannsen could actually learn from Molina. But its a moot point he resigned

Arenado to Cardinals. Good thing he didnt go to AL

Not sure any team in the AL was willing to take on that contract

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Not sure any team in the AL was willing to take on that contract
    There a lot of craziness in that deal.

$50m ish going to StL
    Arenado pushes option year from 21 to 22.
    StL adds another year to his contract at $15m.
    Arenado agrees to defer part of his contract.

They have to get MLBPA to sign off.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Are you effing kidding me? If he turns into Espinal (who can also play 3B, SS and 2B) no one will care that they just wasted more money on Semien this season than they spent on Ray, Matz and Chatwood combined?

And the second sentence should be more like If Matz , Ray and Chatwood don't make it as starters in 2021 what are they going to do? The answer to that more realistic question would be get moved to the bullpen .....and likely strike people out at an above average rate. (I realize Chatwood was likely signed to pitch in the pen, but the other 2 are going to start the season in the rotation.

The floor for all 3 of those arms is higher than the floor for Semien. ..and I don't think it is even close. All I see when I look at Semien's baseball-reference page is a career year season in 2019 that screams PED enhanced.... surrounded by years of below average offense. Now I could be wrong and he may have suddenly figured out how to be an effective MLB hitter at age 28 like some other late bloomers..... but it sure didn't look like it last year in the reg season.

Now if they brought him in to play above average defense at SS everyday, then maybe I can understand giving him that much dough. But if all they get is a defense first 2B getting paid 18M.... that is 18M absolutely 100% totally wasted.
    I would argue the floor is much lower for Chatwood and Matz. If Chatwood continues to walk batters at a clip of near 5 per 9, his floor may be the unemployment line.

As for Semien, from 2018-2020 he ranks 11 in MLB in fWAR and as I've mentioned before, outside of the first 14 games where he was hurt last year, he put up numbers that line up between his very good 2018 season and his nuts 2019 season. Maybe it's recency bias, but I see Semien's floor as 2-2.5 fWAR player where as 5fWAR is attainable and 7+ is not entirely out of the realm of possibility

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I would argue the floor is much lower for Chatwood and Matz. If Chatwood continues to walk batters at a clip of near 5 per 9, his floor may be the unemployment line.

As for Semien, from 2018-2020 he ranks 11 in MLB in fWAR and as I've mentioned before, outside of the first 14 games where he was hurt last year, he put up numbers that line up between his very good 2018 season and his nuts 2019 season. Maybe it's recency bias, but I see Semien's floor as 2-2.5 fWAR player where as 5fWAR is attainable and 7+ is not entirely out of the realm of possibility
    Maybe if he was going to play above average D at SS, but he isnt putting up 7+ as a 2B. Also, if you put his 2019 season among any small average it is going to make the numbers look good. Exclude 2019 and do whatever manipulation you want, the result won't be worth anything close to 18M.

His ceiling is def higher than Chatwood or Matz, but I dont think a floor of a 700 OPS second baseman is worth 18M when you had that for 500K in Espinal. ..or even better in Biggio.

I know the reward is higher if it pays off, but you cant say it isnt also a MASSIVE gamble betting 18M on a guy who has had 1 good season.

If you are willing to overlook his 2020 numbers and see an 18M second baseman, for the life of me I can't understand why people arent doing the same thing and looking past the 2020 stats of Ray and Matz. Ray is a former all-star strike out machine, and Matz was the 15th best prospect in all of baseball and the Mets top prospect in 2015. ..and was solid in both 2018 AND 2019. We gave less money to those 2 starters combined than we gave Semien, yet people hate those signings and call them worthless but Semien is the second coming?
    Last edited by bartron_44; 01-30-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Didi just signed. Kinda wondering which one I wouldve liked at that price more.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Didi just signed. Kinda wondering which one I wouldve liked at that price more.
    I'll take the one year deal over 2.

Well you should always take the deal that improves your teams overall LT and ST success. Regardless of the terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Well you should always take the deal that improves your teams overall LT and ST success. Regardless of the terms.
    So you'd rather have Didi for 2 years and be out of the Lindor, Baez, Storey, Seager race?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Well I didnt say I would have taken Didi. Just made me think about it since I did like him on our team too. When I said that I was speaking in general terms.

Id probably still pick Simien based on ST and LT. Though I did mention that I would like to focus on SP next year anyway.

We could technically move Biggio to OF anyway and have Didi move to 3rd or 2B and still sign a SS like Lindor or Correa. Would have to get rid of Tellez to make it work though but Im fine with that somce Didi is LH.

Ie if we had Lindor, we could go

Springer CF (R)
    Lindor SS (S)
    Bichette 3B (R)
    Vlad 1B (R)
    Biggio RF (L)
    Teo DH (R)
    LGJ LF (R)
    Didi 2B (L)
    Jansen C (R)

Or something like that and Didi would be off for 2023 (whoch would probably gove enough time for Martin/Grosh to play a full year at AAA which I generally prefer)
    Last edited by Raps18-19 Champ; 01-30-2021 at 07:53 PM.

I really hope we are talking to the Brewers right now about Hader, Woodruff and Yelich. If the Brewers decide to rebuild (because their lineup is pretty bad atm) any or all of those players would be huge pickups. Left handed back end strikeout machine. A right handed SP with #2 potential and 4 years of control, and another potential MVP who can play CF and bats left handed....who is owed a shyte load of money over the next 8 years.

They already got rid of Knebel. Hader is on the block. I know they have replacements for him, but they can't feel that lineup is still any good with just Yelich and a 35 year old Lorenzo Cain. (.. Who missed all but 5 games in 2020). Yelich could be an under the rader trade for the Jays like the one that popped up out of nowhere between STL and COL for Arenado.

What would you guys trade for 8 years of Yelich? With our surplus of OF, would you swap Gurriel, Grichuk and Tellez for the former MVP in his prime?

That would allow them to play Vlad at 1B where he is best suited long term ( even if he is in better shape.) Their depth would take a hit on the OF, but their top 3 would be even better and more balanced with the left handed Yelich (who can also play CF). The trade wouldn't increase the 2021 payroll, and afterwards they would have a core of Springer, Yelich, Bichette, Vlad, Biggio for the next 5+ years. With hitting specs like Kirk, Moreno, Groshans and Martin all on the way.

As much as I love Gurriel, Yelich would fit this lineup even better...and a tandem of Springer and Yelich to go with the tandem of Bo and Vlad is worthy.

It may not take all 3 from the MLB roster, but I would pay that price for another potential MVP in their prime to protect our young core while they develop.
    Last edited by bartron_44; 01-31-2021 at 10:05 AM.

I think it would take a lot more than that. Thatís a slam dunk to me. It all depends on how much money Mil puts into the deal