Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 328 of 364 FirstFirst ... 228278318326327328329330338 ... LastLast
Results 4,906 to 4,920 of 5460
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I just hope we find a taker for Jansen. McGuire has no value I imagine but there may be some people out there who still think Jansen is good. I mean there's enough of them here lol.
    No, just no. Jansen is currently our best game caller, defensive and pitch framing catcher. We don't need his bat to have a lethal lineup.

I'd even imagine he has his best O season with this lineup, as there will be literally no pressure for him to produce, which should be a benefit to his anxiety. He has a pretty good walk rate, just needs to line up the ball better on the barrel and he can be around a .250 hitter this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Pearson, Martin, Grosh, SRW, Kirk, Martinez, Grichuk and Tellez for Hader and Yelich. Send it in.
    Yellich has a long, long nasty contract, especially after what he showed last year. Pass.

Springer being introduced right now.

https://www.mlb.com/news/george-spri...s-introduction

I thought Semien received a QO, but apparently he did not.

I have to think they can still go get someone big. SP was their biggest need heading into the off season, and they have only added Ray so far. Also, the only money after 2021 they have spent so far was on Springer. They have now spent over 35M on contracts just for this season. If they can find another SP who will take a 1 year deal, they will be set up nicely to go shopping in the deep end again next year too.

I checked yesterday and not including the signing bonuses, they had it at $117 mil with the Tulo buyout. Are you including the minimum contracts? Then that would make sense.
    FWIW the fan had us at 128 including arbs and minimums.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    FWIW the fan had us at 128 including arbs and minimums.
    I was following this so not sure if this is the accurate one to use.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/toronto-blue-jays/payroll/

Total Payroll $117,333,333

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I thought Semien received a QO, but apparently he did not.

I have to think they can still go get someone big. SP was their biggest need heading into the off season, and they have only added Ray so far. Also, the only money after 2021 they have spent so far was on Springer. They have now spent over 35M on contracts just for this season. If they can find another SP who will take a 1 year deal, they will be set up nicely to go shopping in the deep end again next year too.
    Roark 12, Semien 18, Ray 8, Yama 3.2, Chatwood 3, Yates 6, Dolis 1.5 (that's about 52 mil to spend) with potential arb raises for Teo, Stripling. With Vladdy, Jansen, Tellez, Borucki now Arb eligible. Also makes Grich easier to trade, as he will be 2/21 left on his deal.

Apparently that not being able to play in Toronto didn't play a factor. That's good to hear.

Michael Brantley said he was close to coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    No, just no. Jansen is currently our best game caller, defensive and pitch framing catcher. We don't need his bat to have a lethal lineup.

I'd even imagine he has his best O season with this lineup, as there will be literally no pressure for him to produce, which should be a benefit to his anxiety. He has a pretty good walk rate, just needs to line up the ball better on the barrel and he can be around a .250 hitter this year.
    Yea, I don't know why we would need to deal Jansen. He is good enough defensively, knows the pitching staff, can call the game well, demonstrates leadership etc. He's also not expensive at all. I have no issue losing McGuire for nothing. I definitely have an issue with giving Kirk the reigns full time with such little experience with this pitching staff. If he earns it, I'm glad to have him on the team, but it is far too important a position defensively to be looking to trade our most stable piece behind the plate.

I was following this so not sure if this is the accurate one to use.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/toronto-blue-jays/payroll/

Total Payroll $117,333,333
    That's just active payroll, doesn't include Tulo's buyout or the 40 man roster.
    40 man roster is 125mil + 2.5 for minor league roster.

For luxury tax payroll: Including buyouts, 40 man rosters and minors, with benefits, that have us at $143,092,857.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    That's just active payroll, doesn't include Tulo's buyout or the 40 man roster.
    40 man roster is 125mil + 2.5 for minor league roster.

For luxury tax payroll: Including buyouts, 40 man rosters and minors, with benefits, that have us at $143,092,857.
    That does include Tulo's $4 mil buyout. Active payroll is $113 mil plus $4 mil retained salary. Though good point about the 40 man. I always think about it as a the 25 man roster.

Our active payroll and Tulo's buyout was around $115 mil last year I believe (before proration) so that's what I was using as comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Yea, I don't know why we would need to deal Jansen. He is good enough defensively, knows the pitching staff, can call the game well, demonstrates leadership etc. He's also not expensive at all. I have no issue losing McGuire for nothing. I definitely have an issue with giving Kirk the reigns full time with such little experience with this pitching staff. If he earns it, I'm glad to have him on the team, but it is far too important a position defensively to be looking to trade our most stable piece behind the plate.
    My concern is rushing Kirk. We don't need to at this point. His game calling, pitch framing and defense weren't good. His bat might not even be for real. Give him starting mins with Adams or Moreno at AAA (with the other in AA) until Late May or June (if the season starts in April).

Having him ride the bench will only hurt his growth and progression (and our service time manipulation lol). Our best interests is to develop him (get him on a diet) and give him playing time.

He hit well in 9 games last year, the rest left much to be desired in a C.

That does include Tulo's $4 mil buyout. Active payroll is $113 mil plus $4 mil retained salary. Though good point about the 40 man. I always think about it as a the 25 man roster.

Our active payroll and Tulo's buyout was around $115 mil last year I believe (before proration) so that's what I was using as comparison.
    Per Spotrac

BLUE JAYS PAYROLL TOTALS
    Active Payroll:
    $116,428,570
    Retained:
    $4,000,000 (Tulo)
    Total Payroll:
    $120,428,570

BLUE JAYS LUXURY TAX PAYROLL
    2021 Tax Threshold
    $210,000,000
    40-Man Tax Payroll:
    $125,092,857
    Est. Benefits:
    $15,500,000
    Est. Minor Salaries:
    $2,500,000
    Total Tax Allocations
    $143,092,857

Est. Tax Space
    $66,907,143

Just Depends which number the FO is looking at we have 20-40mil left to spend to be at 160mil

Also doesn't take into account the season probably doesn't start in April and salaries will be prorated again.
    Last edited by Chaotic98; 01-27-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Davidi just asked about payroll and Shapiro just said that Rogers told them to stay the course and as long as continue to win and the revenue increases, that money will get recycled into the payroll.

So up to the players to deliver if we want to add more players.

I was trying to turn a new page but I guess you do not have the same intentions

I suppose if you want to take a shot at me for suggesting the budget would be $130 to 140 mil, you have my blessing. We are currently at $115 mil.
    The page has already been turned. I was right about how much they could spend. Where in any of my post did I specifically say your name? Youíre playing the victim card when all Iíve been doing is expressing how happy I am.