Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderdan22 View Post
    And didn't he say earlier it would be the off season of off seasons for the Jays?
    I think he said something along those lines earlier in the year but honestly I don't remember the exact quote, after a while no matter what he says the message kinda gets lost with too much of his corporate speak.

Jays Fans have been so beaten down by ownership over the past 20 years. What would the off-season look like for the Red Sox or Yankees if they’re in the position the Blue Jays are in right now

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Jays Fans have been so beaten down by ownership over the past 20 years. What would the off-season look like for the Red Sox or Yankees if they’re in the position the Blue Jays are in right now
    It would look better because they have more money and smarter people running their organization unlike the Jays

And didn't he say earlier it would be the off season of off seasons for the Jays?
    Can you believe anything they say these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    There was an article on what a potential Jays deal with Cole *could* look like. I think it will take more then 7/200 to get him, imo. It went something like this:

Year 1 - $40 Million
    Year 2 - $40 Million
    Year 3 - $30 Million (opt out)
    Year 4 - $30 Million (opt out)
    Year 5 - $25 Million
    Year 6 - $25 Million
    Year 7 - $40 Million

Now, I don't envision any scenario where this FO is going to shell out $230 million on one player but it's an interesting way to structure a deal.
    I'm guessing year 3 would be a player opt out? What happens if he regresses a bit like Chris Sale at the age of 32 and is seemingly no longer worth his contract in year 3?

I think his words were more along the line of 'this is one we will look back on as being very important to this team'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    It would look better because they have more money and smarter people running their organization unlike the Jays
    Have you been paying attention to the Red Sox? They are an absolute mess right now. They don't even have someone running the team at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Have you been paying attention to the Red Sox? They are an absolute mess right now. They don't even have someone running the team at the moment.
    Okay but even so overall they have a better team than Toronto does in every way...pitching and lineups aside but I am sure they will have someone come in soon enough

I wonder if the FO would look at taking on a bad deal for a young arm or high end prospects.

Say SD wants to unload Myers and his 60M and are willing to attach a guy like Lucchesi or maybe even Patino?

I feel like they need to be creative cause theirs not a lot of arms that are very interesting.

Blue Jays clearly do not need prospects they need pitching

Quote Originally Posted by armchairgm View Post
    Cole who I'd love to have is getting more then that and I'm guessing it starts at 35 per for him. I'd offer 210 million over 6 front loaded and go from there. Then I'd look at trading for another starter with control and signing a 1B/DH type. Jays need to try winning now while the kids make peanuts. The offense is very capable already we need 3 starters though and my hope is Pearson would become that 3rd one later into next season.
    I see Castellanos as a RF/DH type. He's a terrible OF but a solid and consistent bat. Maybe force Grichuk to learn CF in exchange for another solid corner OF bat as opposed to signing a medicore CF or trading our top of the line closer for a CF prospect. Castellanos is surprisingly only 27 too so he's just entering his prime. I think he could be a huge under the radar signing strictly on offence.

I would imagine it would take more money to get Cole to come here but I don't expect it to happen. That was just a rough start and was honestly based off the same article Kenny mentioned. I'd even overpay for MadBum or Strasburg too. I'd give either of them 5 years 150 mil.

We share the same thoughts on Pearson. Even if we come away with 1 starter and Borucki is healthy then Pearson could be a big boost to that rotation if he pans out. They need to come away with at least one solid arm this off-season. I don't expect the top tier but I'll be upset if they don't get one of Wheeler, Odorizzi or Wood. If they draft Asa Lacy then that's another high potential arm to add to the farm as well. I think next season we see if SWR and Manoah will be ready for 2021.

This team isn't far away from competing if the right pieces click. The good thing is we have plenty of arms developing right now. The top tier ones won't start making appearances until 2021 but even next year we have Kay, Zeuch and Wag all trying to prove themselves. One of Wheeler, Odorizzi and Wood along with one of Castellanos or Moustakas would be a step in the right direction and both are realistic in my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    I'm guessing year 3 would be a player opt out? What happens if he regresses a bit like Chris Sale at the age of 32 and is seemingly no longer worth his contract in year 3?
    Do you think aces sign deals that don't heavily favour them? If you want an ace then you have to pay him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    There was an article on what a potential Jays deal with Cole *could* look like. I think it will take more then 7/200 to get him, imo. It went something like this:

Year 1 - $40 Million
    Year 2 - $40 Million
    Year 3 - $30 Million (opt out)
    Year 4 - $30 Million (opt out)
    Year 5 - $25 Million
    Year 6 - $25 Million
    Year 7 - $40 Million

Now, I don't envision any scenario where this FO is going to shell out $230 million on one player but it's an interesting way to structure a deal.
    Yeah I read that as I was posting it and didn't realize it was 230. I'd still be okay with paying him that though. Realistically, I don't see them shelling out that kind of money... Yet. I was just pointing out how 3 key signings this off-season could actually put us in contention for the post season. We're not that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    My hope is that they're .500 next year. If they go out and acquire one or two Wheeler or Wood type pitchers then 86 wins wouldn't be out of the question. The offence is there and now with Smoak being a FA we'll have the freedom to have a rotating DH or go out and sign a big bat to fill 1B/DH. That's something that hurt our offence big this past season. Nothing from 1B offensively. Tellez and Smoak both sucked with the bat.

Shoemaker is a placeholder in my eyes. If they tender him then he'll be gone by the TDL at the latest. I agree that the rotation ha spotential to look a hell of a lot better than it did in 2019 though.

A side not from all this though, welcome to the forum! I know some posters claim that I discourage people from joining yet you've replied to a few of my posts already so I guess they're just wrong. Hope to hear more from you.
    Thanks Reed, I have aboout 750 posts as Riderfan 60, but have had so much trouble with the old account that I set up a new one. Haven't posted a lot the last few years after willrain and other really good posters started leaving the forum over the pelfrey's and friends seemed to be hjacking the forum. Will post occaisionally, but enjoy your comments, Jamie's and other sensible posters.
    Last edited by Sasky05; 10-20-2019 at 11:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    My hope is that they're .500 next year. If they go out and acquire one or two Wheeler or Wood type pitchers then 86 wins wouldn't be out of the question. The offence is there and now with Smoak being a FA we'll have the freedom to have a rotating DH or go out and sign a big bat to fill 1B/DH. That's something that hurt our offence big this past season. Nothing from 1B offensively. Tellez and Smoak both sucked with the bat.

Shoemaker is a placeholder in my eyes. If they tender him then he'll be gone by the TDL at the latest. I agree that the rotation ha spotential to look a hell of a lot better than it did in 2019 though.

A side not from all this though, welcome to the forum! I know some posters claim that I discourage people from joining yet you've replied to a few of my posts already so I guess they're just wrong. Hope to hear more from you.
    Shoemaker is definitely a guy I hope they sign. He is still a rebound candidate. I think it will take him more than a year to prove to other teams that he is no longer fragile, so perhaps a two year deal with the expectation that he is dealt by TDL 2021?

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast